WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Double post deleted.
    Last edited by gracebowen; 01-01-2019 at 13:56.

[QUOTE=petedelisio;223280

What's in your gear load out?[/QUOTE]

I'm still working on my gear. I have a tarptent a pack and half of what I need to make 2 quilts. I plan to buy Cascade ??? Hiking poles and hopefully a Merino base layer.

We do have the ability to and have hiked some mederately strenouos trails. He is in much better shape than I am. We both like to hike

Why are you so adverse to losing weight before you start? Honestly, I never understood that part. You want something so badly but don’t want to put in the effort?

Tell him to stay at home, and you go by yourself!

Take him on a 3-4 day hike with all the junk he wants to bring. He'll be re-thinking things, especially if your kit is minimal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Do a shakedown for up to/at least a week. Or do several...
    Show him the miles a day you have to do to complete it in 6? or 7? months to walk the entirety of the trail.
    And you expect to do 75% of that in your shake down.... And recalling that the terrain is much different were you are. So when you do seven miles... if on fairly level ground, it is only like 3 to 5 on the AT.
    I've seen people who can walk 10 miles on flat ground that wouldn't last 1 mile in NH or ME.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-01-2019 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Why are you so adverse to losing weight before you start? Honestly, I never understood that part. You want something so badly but don’t want to put in the effort?
    Have you read any of my posts. I'm taking steps to lose pack and body weight.
    Since August I've lost about 20 lbs of body weight. I estimate I've reduced my pack weight so far by about 5 lbs.

Reading this reminded me of my cousin, he wanted to be the ultimate camper/backwoods man, it’s fun as heck but through hiking a trail requires you to be the ultimate hiker not an ultimate camper. Very different mindsets. Tried the ultimate camper routine for 100 miles of SNP and spent 8 months fixing plantar fasciitis. But he learned the difference between camping and hiking.

This book helped him understand. Me too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hike...b_title_sports

As far as conditioning goes, challenge him to make it through week 1 of this basic backpacking conditioning course (it’s not even the mountain training). It’ll teach a lot about the value of removing ounces to drop pounds and what kind of shape you need to be in to avoid injury.

http://mtntactical.com/shop/backpack...training-plan/

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries
    Images

I am thinking he is just messing with you.

Perhaps for fun, or just so you continue to do all advance work before he pulls his part together a week or two in advance.

Either way, I think I’d like him :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    As far as conditioning goes, challenge him to make it through week 1 of this basic backpacking conditioning course (it’s not even the mountain training). It’ll teach a lot about the value of removing ounces to drop pounds and what kind of shape you need to be in to avoid injury.

http://mtntactical.com/shop/backpack...training-plan/
    Wait, people actually pay someone $40 for a "backpacking" training plan? Fools and their money I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I'm still working on my gear. I have a tarptent a pack and half of what I need to make 2 quilts. I plan to buy Cascade ??? Hiking poles and hopefully a Merino base layer.

We do have the ability to and have hiked some mederately strenouos trails. He is in much better shape than I am. We both like to hike
    What are you using for your quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    Wait, people actually pay someone $40 for a "backpacking" training plan? Fools and their money I guess.
    While not exactly rocket science, if you haven't a clue getting one is a good idea. Those that take Warren Doyle's AT thru hiking class have a high completion rate.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    While not exactly rocket science, if you haven't a clue getting one is a good idea. Those that take Warren Doyle's AT thru hiking class have a high completion rate.
    From what I’ve seen I agree with Slo-go’en.

The AT in Georgia weeds out a lot of naive unprepared “thru hikers”. But as always HYOH. As retired military I’ve learned being prepared and well conditioned prevents injury and makes for a much more enjoyable hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    What are you using for your quilts?
    Apex climashield for insulation. Haven't got the covering material yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    From a quick glance at the link, it appeared to just be a workout plan that (my assumption) wasn't AT specific or likely even long distance hiking specific...one could Google as much for free and learn how to train to hike with a pack.

Why did you choose a hiking partner with an approach so radically different than your own? And why are his ideas so wrong? Can't someone do a thru hike approaching it as he is? Don't fall into the mentality 'this is how a thru-hike has to be done.' Maybe he's going to do something uncommon in an uncommon way.

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    Maybe these people are less foolish than assumed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Why did you choose a hiking partner with an approach so radically different than your own? And why are his ideas so wrong? Can't someone do a thru hike approaching it as he is? Don't fall into the mentality 'this is how a thru-hike has to be done.' Maybe he's going to do something uncommon in an uncommon way.
    Because believe it or not it's actually a good match. I'll hike the trail at my place and he will hike ahead and or take side trails. He might even go off trail a bit.

We will get close enough to the same page eventually. Hes just new to the thru hike concept.

He will probably enhance my hike.

It's mostly just a little venting. I'm sure I can get his pack to a more reasonable weight eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Because believe it or not it's actually a good match. I'll hike the trail at my place and he will hike ahead and or take side trails. He might even go off trail a bit.

We will get close enough to the same page eventually. Hes just new to the thru hike concept.

He will probably enhance my hike.

It's mostly just a little venting. I'm sure I can get his pack to a more reasonable weight eventually

Specifically, how is it a good match? How specifically will the two of you enhance each? How will the two of you cause each other issues? Make a careful honest pro con inventory. Write it down. What does the balance sheet reveal pre hike? Have him do the same. Discuss this pre hike as part of the planning. You don't need to have all the answers pre hike but if there are issues pre hike they might magnify once on trail. Once on trail an individual new to LD hiking alone has so many new things to personally contend. Now, they can magnify on trail. Think of it like a marriage. Would you throw in with someone you felt not compatible? However, you might make it work if you organize yourselves loosely.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++