WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What's your personality type?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    It's a series of polarized dichotomies! And of course, polarized dichotomies are rarely representitive of physical reality, so your assessment does hold some validity. But BS? Na. Not so much... Not like that at all.
    I find it curious the contempt some have for MB. It is a binary partition (actually a series of 4 binary partitions) of an underlying trait that is more of a continuum. What is curious is the hostile view that if a model is not perfect, it is therefore BS. We all accept imperfect models in SOME areas to process reality. Global warning scientists cannot perfectly predict climate. Does that make they whole field complete BS? (whether it is BS or not does not hinge on perfection of prediction). Just an example, not trying to start a tangential debate.

As for me, when I first took a MB test, I was absolutely floored by how well the description of my type pegged me. My wife had the same experience and knowing each other's personality type was extremely valuable in helping us understand our differences with humor and much reduced conflict. Did either of us ever thing that our MB was going to be perfect? Of course not. There is a wide range of utility between "totally perfect predictor" and "complete BS", and almost all ability to understand and deal with reality requires us to operate between those two poles.

So well stated, Flypaper. I think when some folks sit in front of their computers they undergo transformations into trolls.

Certainly it is possible to "game" the test. Even when the test is taken with the correct intent and honesty there can be some variance. But the overall validity of this tool is beyond question especially when applied to a large group as in this case.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I find it curious the contempt some have for MB...
    yea. It is kinda novel to see some scoff at mbti only to champion Hogwarts houses. You guys know all of them have the same origins, right? Right and wrong is misunderstanding, more like what flavor you prefer: enneagram, sloan/global5, that tri-matrix-corporate-environment one... take your pick, they all support the same science, be it "soft" or not.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Images

As for me, when I first took a MB test, I was absolutely floored by how well the description of my type pegged me. My wife had the same experience and knowing each other's personality type was extremely valuable in helping us understand our differences with humor and much reduced conflict. Did either of us ever thing that our MB was going to be perfect? Of course not. There is a wide range of utility between "totally perfect predictor" and "complete BS", and almost all ability to understand and deal with reality requires us to operate between those two poles.
    I had a similar experience. I (intj) was dating an INFJ. They gave me the test in 6th grade, but never made it relevant so I rediscovered mbti looking to gain some insight into how to better communicate with with my very emotional and human-centric girlfriend, while I'm pretty much Spock. Daymn, we both learned a whole lot about ourselves and each other. At least I knew why I was so weird to most of the population. Lol

IMG_0121.JPG
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 01-02-2019 at 13:08.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    yea. It is kinda novel to see some scoff at mbti only to champion Hogwarts houses. You guys know all of them have the same origins, right? Right and wrong is misunderstanding, more like what flavor you prefer: enneagram, sloan/global5, that tri-matrix-corporate-environment one... take your pick, they all support the same science, be it "soft" or not.
    Agreed. The test as I recall is basically a long series of choices, such as "which do you prefer 'justice' or 'mercy'?". Even when taking the test, we're all somewhat conflicted and understand that specifics of a real scenario would greatly affect our answer. But being a willing participant, I was able to pick an answer for each one without overthinking and understood that not much hinged on a single answer. That's why there's perhaps 100+ questions depending on the specific test. And then, when processing the results, use it as an aid to self-awareness rather than a box. I've found it quite valuable to understand both myself and others better and can benefit from that without also having to put myself or others in a box. If the benefits are real (and they've proven to be very much so in my own life), how can that possibly be categorized as BS?

Images

i have one somewhat random thing to say about whether or MBTI is worth anything-

if you have ever read about the thing that happens between ENFPs and INTJs, i can assure you, there is absolutely something to it.

Images

And then, when processing the results, use it as an aid to self-awareness rather than a box. I've found it quite valuable to understand both myself and others better and can benefit from that without also having to put myself or others in a box. If the benefits are real (and they've proven to be very much so in my own life), how can that possibly be categorized as BS?
    For real, try not to take it too seriously. And also for real! -the "science" on it is messy and tenuous, so granted all this personality crap has little substantiation though rigorous science, but it none the less holds validity and insight. Like it or not, this is by far the most succinct and probably the most accurate way to express what I am:

70% Introversion
    67% iNtuition
    87% Thinking
    77% Judging

Global5/Sloan : RCOEI
    Primary type is Calm
    extroversion: 30%
    orderliness: 78%
    emotional stability: 92%
    accommodation: 18%
    inquisitiveness: 87%

Enneagram 'tri-type': 5w6, 1w2, 3w2 -sx/so

Years ago when I took the test the first time, I got INTJ. More recently I took it again for a class in my MA and got INTP, but the percentage of the J/P was around 49%/51%, so pretty borderline on the judgement/perception. Funnily enough, I prefer to think of myself as INTP purely based on a Harry Potter comparison chart where the INTJ was Voldemort and the INTP was Hermione, ha!

The way I see it, all personality typing tries to put people in neat little boxes, which inherently involves making generalizations, but I still think it can be insightful if you recognize the limitations. When I lived in Morocco, my roommate was working for a consulting firm that paid for her to get trained as a StrengthsFinder coach, which is a similar thing: take the quiz, get your top 5 strengths (out of a list of 34), and then get coached on how you can use your strengths to maximize your potential at work, etc. I probably wouldn't have paid for the service, but when she made our friend group her "guinea pig" clients, I found it a valuable experience. Less for identifying/valuing my own strengths and weaknesses, which I was already pretty aware of, but more about learning how to see the value of different characteristics in others. There were qualities that I wouldn't have even considered "strengths" because I might find them annoying, but with the lens she provided, I could see the value in them, or at least have a better understanding of why another person might approach a task differently than I would.

I had a similar experience when a different roommate had me read The Five Love Languages. I expected self-improvement fluff, but found it surprisingly insightful. That one ranks how you give/receive love/affection in terms of words, gifts, touch, time, and service. It's primarily intended for improving romantic relationships, but I have since found it helpful when trying to get along with friends, parents, and siblings.

All of that loops back around to the fact that as a very introverted, analytical person (INTJ/INTP), human connection doesn't necessarily come easily for me. If personality typing like MBTI or Strengthsfinder can give me a lens to understand others more categorically-- and therefore clearly-- I figure it's only helping me become more empathetic and capable of examining situations from multiple perspectives. If others see it as nothing more than fancy astrology, that doesn't reduce its usefulness to me.

Regarding the trail, I thru-hiked nobo at the tail end of the bubble this year, and I found it deeply satisfying as an introvert. Being introverted doesn't mean you are antisocial, just that you recharge your batteries best alone. Even with 10-15 people at a shelter or campsite, I found plenty of alone time in my tent and while actually hiking. During "real" life as a teacher, I don't socialize much because all my time away from work is best spent alone recharging. On the trail it was just sort of flipped. I spent my "work day" hiking mostly alone for 8-12 hours, and then had the energy to be social with other hikers in the evening if I felt like it.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

ENTJ
    I guess someone had to be the first here.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    Years ago when I took the test the first time, I got INTJ. More recently I took it again for a class in my MA and got INTP, but the percentage of the J/P was around 49%/51%, so pretty borderline on the judgement/perception. Funnily enough, I prefer to think of myself as INTP purely based on a Harry Potter comparison chart where the INTJ was Voldemort and the INTP was Hermione, ha!
    lol. Nice. Well, Einstein was INTP too, so you're in good company on that one as well. They're not as cool as INTJs, but they're alright. Lol.

The way I see it, all personality typing tries to put people in neat little boxes, which inherently involves making generalizations, but I still think it can be insightful if you recognize the limitations.
    exactly. Nor is it an exact science. I'm rather sociable, and I'm a romantic at heart; so the profiles are gonna say things like not not every emotionally engaging... not very affectionate or attentive to friends and lovers... not the case for me. The got that one wrong on me. Oh well, get used to the fact statistics lie, but they too are usually pretty wise. Be real about it and it's a powerful tool.

I had a similar experience when a different roommate had me read The Five Love Languages. I expected self-improvement fluff, but found it surprisingly insightful. That one ranks how you give/receive love/affection in terms of words, gifts, touch, time, and service. It's primarily intended for improving romantic relationships, but I have since found it helpful when trying to get along with friends, parents, and siblings.
    that one is good to! Very simple, equally powerful.

Regarding the trail, I thru-hiked nobo at the tail end of the bubble this year, and I found it deeply satisfying as an introvert. Being introverted doesn't mean you are antisocial, just that you recharge your batteries best alone. Even with 10-15 people at a shelter or campsite, I found plenty of alone time in my tent and while actually hiking. During "real" life as a teacher, I don't socialize much because all my time away from work is best spent alone recharging. On the trail it was just sort of flipped. I spent my "work day" hiking mostly alone for 8-12 hours, and then had the energy to be social with other hikers in the evening if I felt like it.
    Yea, very easy to moderate how much social time you want on the trail! I found my groove too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ENTJ
    I guess someone had to be the first here.
    My mom is entj! You'll never take me alive! Lol

Images

ESTJ and a Slytherin. While I appreciate that so many of you are uniquely yourself, I am exactly the model ESTJ who is written about to great wordiness on personality type blogs the internet over. I am the actual person who the ESTJ's Owners Manual (seen floating in the depths of Tumblr) was based on. Efficiency, especially systems efficiency, is my most favorite thing. And yet I hike slowly and spend time noticing my surroundings. My efficiency thrill comes in optimizing my eating, sleeping, hygiene, and clothing systems, not in getting as far away from where I started on the trail as quickly as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I'm INFP Ravenclaw. Who knew?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++