WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: legal Parking

Default legal Parking

Any good way to find legal parking spots in the northeast during winter/storm parking bans? I have emailed the police department but was wondering if there was a better way. If I'm going out for a short 1 or 2 night walk I would hate to get back to the car spot to find the car was gone. I pack the shovel in case I need to shovel myself out but a missing car is a whole order of magnitude worst.
    Thanks
    Bob

Could you be a bit more specific on location?. Kind of difficult to come up with clear recommendations for what could be a 1000 mile circle?.

In NH its pretty simple, if you are parked on a state highway with your tires on the pavement you may legally be towed. If you are off the pavement they will just plow you in. If the breakdown lane is paved you need to be completely off it. Obviously the WMNF parking lots are up in the air with the shutdown. I dont expect they will be plowed until such point that the shutdown is over. Generally the state plowed trailheads are safe but if there is major storm any cars left overnight are typically plowed in.

If you can't pull completely off the road, it's not a good place to park, regardless.

The main problem currently around here is you can't get into some of the trail head parking areas due to the frozen snow bank in front of the entrance, which is still too tall to drive over without serious damage to the car.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not exactly the same situation but when I park along a road here in Florida I leave a note (laminated with a hiker symbol) on my dash indicating anticipated time of return on a PostIt note. I can’t imagine law enforcement towing in that instance and have actually had several law enforcement thank me as they now know it’s not an abandoned vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by perrymk; 12-31-2018 at 12:58.

The town of Norwich VT. There is no Legal trail head parking in the winter. The commuter lot near by has a no overnight sign. The nature trails area is paved and plowed but has no signs to say if it is a legal overnight spot. Of course the winter on the road parking ban is in effect for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    The town of Norwich VT. There is no Legal trail head parking in the winter. The commuter lot near by has a no overnight sign. The nature trails area is paved and plowed but has no signs to say if it is a legal overnight spot. Of course the winter on the road parking ban is in effect for the next few months.
    Call the people who maintain the nature trails area and ask them. Much better than asking us. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    Any good way to find legal parking spots in the northeast during winter/storm parking bans? I have emailed the police department but was wondering if there was a better way. If I'm going out for a short 1 or 2 night walk I would hate to get back to the car spot to find the car was gone. I pack the shovel in case I need to shovel myself out but a missing car is a whole order of magnitude worst.
    Thanks
    Bob
    You're going out for a short 1 or 2 night "walk" during winter storm warnings in the northeast?

winter parking bands are based on the calendar not the weather. I go when I get the time, at low elevation the storms will not be that bad. I am to old and wise to play in the storms at high elevation.

Police have emailed back and given me a list of legal spots and the nature trails area is not on it. Got to love smaller towns that care about having visitors.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Not exactly the same situation but when I park along a road here in Florida I leave a note (laminated with a hiker symbol) on my dash indicating anticipated time of return on a PostIt note. I can’t imagine law enforcement towing in that instance and have actually had several law enforcement thank me as they now know it’s not an abandoned vehicle.
    There are pro's and con's to that.

You've covered some pro's.

One of the con's is that your post-it note is a beacon for anyone who might be a thief or vandal. Trailheads and roads near trails are where they prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    There are pro's and con's to that.

You've covered some pro's.

One of the con's is that your post-it note is a beacon for anyone who might be a thief or vandal. Trailheads and roads near trails are where they prey.
    I understand what you're saying but I am of the opinion that criminals will do what they are going to do, note or no note. The only person whose behavior I can hope to influence are the honest ones (law enforcement, highway workers, forest rangers, most people, etc.)
    Last edited by perrymk; 01-03-2019 at 07:39.

++ New Posts ++