WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain/Wind mitts

Default Rain/Wind mitts

I got a pair of possum down liner gloves for Christmas and I was looking at shell mittens to pair with them. The three options I've found are
    OR shuck mitts-$35 soft shell
    MLD rain mitts-$45 event, comes with seam sealer
    Zpacks rain mitts-$65 taped seams, elastic wrist bands

Anybody have experience with these?
    Thanks
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I have the MLDs, lightweight, keep the water out, but were kind of a pain to seam seal. If I had a time machine I’d go back and buy the Zpacks ones instead... and of course Amazon, Tesla, and Apple stock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone I know who has Zpacks said they fell apart quickly. Things might have changed with the newer Vertice fabric. But seriously $65 for rain mitts that don't hold up well?

MLD eVent Rain Mitts are highly regarded. Borah Gear is also a solid choice.

It took some time to seam seal the MLD's. But they are really nice.

The possum down gloves also have a tendency to fall apart real quick. When those are toasted get some fleece liners. The synthetics hold up much better.

My glove system is Montbell Chameece Liners, OR PL400 Mitts, MLD eVent Rain Mitts. Good for me down to about zero degrees. In 3 season, i forego the insulating layer. Other than that, the liners and shells are in my pack pretty much 24/7

For milder lighter wetter and windier conditions I use the OR Versaliner Pertex Shield DS + un-seamsealed shell portion without the liners with either the ZP Possum down gloves or Smartwool merino gloves as the liner. I prefer a glove over a mitt for these times. Since I'd also be carrying a rain jacket under wet conditions and I'm not using trekking poles most times I supplement the hand protection with a rain jacket option with hand pockets. The OR Versaliner shell glove components will wet out by themselves in heavy wet weather. The merino or possum down/merino blend of the inner helps with the warmth IF hands get wet. ZP's possum down gloves are not all possum down. they are a combination of PD and lambs wool. Both the SW and ZP PD gloves used by themselves are NOT the most durable IMO.

When I know high odds exist of experiencing heavy deluges I go to the MLD seam sealed mitts. As long as I don't raise my hands too high their longer wrist length is appreciated in keeping hands dry as I layer them under the rain shell arms. It helps to have a good seal around the wrist cuff in the choice of rain jacket too especially if you're using sticks. Again, rain jacket hand pockets compliment hand warmth and dryness goals. It's rare I experience cold drenched hands using either of these options. For even more warmth I may drop a Hot Hands packet into each liner. When it's dry and cold or climbing mountaineering cold water paddling I switch to a different glove or mitt choice.

What I don't want is to use a minimalist WP membrane or UL mitt or glove if I'm extensively using sticks as that can interfere or degrade the WP or WR traits of what's on my hands.

The last thing I purchased befor my 2018 Thru hike were the Possum Gloves and the Vertice Rain mitt; partially because they didn’t need seam sealed. After two Nor’easters and one snow storm and cold temperatures between 3/15 and 4/17, I was overjoyed with this combination. However, the (albeit expensive) $65 Rain Mitts were worth their weight in gold and used in temps over freezing, up to 50*, both in precipitation and sometimes just to start the mornings. I have continued to use the Rain Mitts on day hikes and they seem to get more use than the Possum gloves themselves. Yet, under 30* the combination is my go to gear.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

My possum down gloves also disintegrated pretty quickly, FWIW. Replaced this years with some TNF liners. Also in the market for some overmitts.

On my last trip I wore fleece gloves under my MLD eVent shell mitts and used this system to clean wet snow off my tent for several days. The inner gloves got nearly soaked in the process. MLD mitt shells any good? No, not really.

Ordered them based on that article. As AS says he would take them off to air out his hands... vent. They don't breathe very well despite what he says and not as well as the MLD eVent mitts or the OR Versaliner Pertex Shield + shell. The 281's are cheap and more durable than those though. If I'm in a deluge just above freezing and using WP gloves for dryness and warmth on a backwoods backpacking trip I'm not all that keen on taking my WP gloves off to vent!

REI minimalist GTX mittens $45

Just acquired these, haven’t used them yet. I hated having rain-soaked gloves so I hope these work.

This seems like a half step up from wearing bread bags with rubber bands on the wrists. I had plenty of dishwashing jobs as a kid and my hands were always pruned up from sweat at the end of a shift.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Waterproof breathable fabric is a waste of money “in my opinion “ . Especially for gloves, mittens . I hate to say it but I’m siding with Tipi. :0) . With the money I save using cheep army surplus vinyl mitten shells I’m buying a fly rod or taking the wife to lunch, new snow shovel. Well not a snow shovel.

Thom

I've got MLD rain mitts. I'm not impressed with the design. They've got some strange, non-ergonomic curve to them and they fit loose and sloppy.

I'm surprised there isn't a cottage manufacturer improving on the design.

That said, they are light, and they are a heck of a lot better than nothing.

Inspired by your question, I just ordered a pair of OR Shuck Mitts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    On my last trip I wore fleece gloves under my MLD eVent shell mitts and used this system to clean wet snow off my tent for several days. The inner gloves got nearly soaked in the process. MLD mitt shells any good? No, not really.
    I have had my MLD mitts in rain and snow. Bone dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Waterproof breathable fabric is a waste of money “in my opinion “ . Especially for gloves, mittens. Thom
    Yet, you promoted an as advertised waterproof breathable glove.

If you want to give them a looksie over before buying or not buying on line incurring additional shipping costs Showa 281's and other Showa glove models I've seen sold at plant nurseries, some farm markets, fish markets and fishing gear stores. They are fairly popular at fishing gear stores in Hawaii. Showa Atlas mesh and latex palm and finger gloves, the kind masons or landscapers use, are sold cheaply at HD and Lowes. If $ is a particular issue try heavier mil Nitrile gloves as the inner component of the glove. They cost pennies. Better than bread bags. Get ready for the sweet though. In the horticultural industry that's what we sometimes do in cold wet weather where we're not engaged in highly strenuous activity - line Showa Atlas gloves with industrial Nitrile gloves.

Jumping in the Wayback Machine...
    Early 1980s.
    Leading Edge in Boulder, CO.
    A Mail order purveyor of running gear for folks in, you guessed it, Colorado. And anywhere that people ran year round.
    I bought a pair of Gore-Tex Runners Mittens, size Large. Weight = 1.44 ounces for the pair. They are large enough for synthetic or wool glove liners. Elastic at the wrist and Velcro at the upper edge of the cuff to seal off drafts or drips. They are absolutely wind proof. I used them alone in New Orleans. My hands were never cold at temperatures in the 30s, breezy, and liquid air. The same conditions that are common in the North Carolina Rainforest this time of year.
    A competent Cottage Company should be making these mittens again. Did I mention that they weigh 1.44 ounces?
    Wayne

Do you still have them, or at least what's left after thirty years?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    I have the MLDs, lightweight, keep the water out, but were kind of a pain to seam seal.
    A pain why?
    I've had a pair for years, and never used them. Been having poor luck with the weather lately, and got them out today. Probably bring them to work tomorrow night and do the seam sealing.
    Also gonna try some long gaiters and a rain wrap/kilt/skirt in place of rain pants. Always wondered how I'd look in a skirt...

What about elbow-length veterinary gloves?
    There are some stronger ones which could be used for rain mitts.
    Might provide a solution for poncho-users too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++