WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Battery Power Banks

Looking for recommendations on power banks for a thru hike on the Appalachian Trail. Fast charge in and fast charge out is preferred. I will only be using to charge my iPhone 7 Plus; which I’ll be using for music, Guthook, video and picture taking and communication home, to hostels and such...pretty much everything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anker is basically the gold standard here. I would recommend a 10,000 mAh capacity. They make several versions, some with quick charge, some without. Check out this one: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...ds=anker+10000

I picked up the Anker 13,000 mAh for my thru attempt. Only had it for a few days, but it came highly recommended from a few other finishers. I got a larger capacity because on top of my phone I need to charge my camera batteries and headlamp.

Leonidas

RavPower 10K mAh come highly recommended as well and for less than the Anker normally. I have 2 now, needed extra charge for a longer hike with no planned charging stops. Amazon will put them on flash sale or whatever they call it as well, I caught one of them for $19.99 I believe.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Get one that's either metal or ruggedized/rubbery. This year a friend had her ABS-plastic-cased brick burst into flames WHILE IN her pack. After a few pants-pooping moments, we minimized the damage but she lost her jacket, some food, and everything reeked of burned plastic for weeks.
    Like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo.../dp/B01K6T7AFM
    or this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo.../dp/B01EKXR67M

My phone goes 2-3 days on a charge, I carried a 5K for a while and then switched to a 10K for week+ resupply stretches.

Ankor 10k for my attempt 2 years ago and again for thru last year. Used my phone for the AWOL guidebook (planning for the next day, town maps, etc), all pics and vids, and call/text home. I found 10k was more than enough as my phone was on airplane mode exclusively unless calling/texting home, but I was able to charge a few other hikers phones along the way until they could get to town so that was worth it. Very durable, just kept it in a Ziplok freezer bag with charging cords and valuables.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

Fast charge?
    Dont know.
    All depends on how much use your phone.

Mine stay airplane mode, just take pics, occassional gps position check, watch downloaded tv or movie or book a little in tent. I can still make it between towns without the backup batt. 4-5 days. Keeping screen brightness low is a key.

So a 4000, which will recharge me once really, is plenty just in case. You will only get 65% or so of nameplate capacity as useable with any. They are rated by actual cell capacity at 3.6 v., Not the 5v it takes to recharge your phone. So if you have 3000 mah battery, a 10,000 can recharge you 2x +.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-21-2018 at 10:12.

Journal Entries

Anker 10,000....no problems...

Bought an Anker 10.000 and a wall charger with dual outlet that can do Quick Charge.
    With this setup I can quick-charge both at the same time, the phone and the power pack.

But then, my Sony can go for many days on a charge, if I use GPS only. When the Sony was new, after 5 days there was still 50% charge left.

Default Battery Power Banks

anchor told me that the 10050 is the fastest one in that neighborhood as far as how long it takes to charge. that is of course in their brand and when I talk to him about 8 months ago.

Aother vote for Anker. Has never let me down
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Another Anker 10K here. Tried others, most were junk.

Qualcomm Quick Charge is nice but you will pay a weight penalty. The same battery capacity will weigh more if it is able to be charged/discharged faster. The wall plugs get heavier if they are capable of delivering more current to charge faster. So if faster charge and discharge is not important, then it's probably not worth the extra weight.

Another Anker 10k. I used my phone for guthooks, music/audiobooks/podcasts, photos, and netflix at night. Never had an issue keeping a charge.

Images

also anker 10k. gone hundreds of miles with it, no issues here
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Thank you everyone. I went with an Anker 10000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++