WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default iPhone 7 Plus cases

What is the best case for all around protection and function for an iPhone 7 Plus to use when thru hiking the Appalachian Trail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimyjam View Post
    What is the best case for all around protection and function for an iPhone 7 Plus to use when thru hiking the Appalachian Trail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure there is a “best” case, rather how much you want to protect your phone.

I’ve tried cases like the Otterbox, which protects very well, but I’ve found it’s more difficult to get the phone to respond to key press through the case, and the photos aren’t quite as good, although subtle.

For my iPhone 7, I didn’t bother with any extra protection. I just used a glass screen protector, and the everyday vinyl case the Apple offers. The 7 is water resistant enough that rain doesn’t bother the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

A ziplock.

Explain why you think it needs "protection", more than you currently have.

99% of phone damage is caused by dropping on concrete or hard floor. Sinks and toilets and pools account for much of rest.

Do you need protection from falling trees or hungry bears?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-19-2018 at 08:13.

I have kept my iphone (all of them) in an otterbox since the beginning of time. The big perk to the ottorbox for me is the clip that comes with it. I clip it to my sternum strap and my phone is accessible in a second for pictures or music change, to check guthooks etc. I couldn't be happier with my phone case and clip setup.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

for me it's Lifeproof

Journal Entries

lifeproof for me

A good case is the Speck Presidio Grip. Good protection and the grippy rubber makes the phone much less slippery. For less bulk, the Silk Slim Case is a great choice (a Wirecutter top pick). I keep the phone in a large shoulder pouch from Tread Lite Gear (from the UK, it’s a guy working out of his house who sells on eBay, he makes fantastic stuff!). The pouch is, for the most part, waterproof and holds the 7 plus and an 8000 mAH battery pack with room to spare for my headphones.

IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

++ New Posts ++