WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT themed movie: Maine Anyone see it yet?

Curious if anyone has seen the new movie titled "Maine" released in December, 2018. It seems to be a fairly limited release - not sure if it will make a wider appearance at some point. It evidentially made a decent showing at the Tribeca Film Festival but from what limited reviews I've seen it has been getting mixed results.

Link to IMDB entry: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7316358/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Synopsis from the Tribeca Film Festival:

There is perhaps no better place to discover one’s true self than out in nature, devoid of cell phones, streaming video, and all other technological vices. For the married Bluebird (Laia Costa), hiking the Appalachian Trail sans husband offers her the chance to do just that. At first, she thinks it’s no big deal to pair up with a hiking companion, the younger Lake (Thomas Mann), who she meets on the trail. But as they get to know each other, their easygoing chemistry and unspoken mutual attraction eventually culminate with a kiss. And that’s when everything changes. What began as an innocent bond grows into an unexpected romance that forces Bluebird and Lake to straddle the fine line between their emotional unavailability and undeniable desire.

Images

Chickflick?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Chickflick?
    ... is in the eye of the beholder.

Thomas Mann starred in Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl, which I thought was incredibly great, so all else being equal, I'm inclined to want to see this one too.

Now, if they had called it UltraLight Hearts in the Gazebo, or it premiered on the Hallmark Channel right after Thanksgiving, well, that's a "check, please!" situation for me.

I'll grant you, the synopsis isn't terribly reassuring in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    ... is in the eye of the beholder.

Thomas Mann starred in Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl, which I thought was incredibly great, so all else being equal, I'm inclined to want to see this one too.

Now, if they had called it UltraLight Hearts in the Gazebo, or it premiered on the Hallmark Channel right after Thanksgiving, well, that's a "check, please!" situation for me.

I'll grant you, the synopsis isn't terribly reassuring in that sense.
    I see a mellodrama along the same lines yet less exciting as "into the wild" that will consist of as many inaccuracies as any other film set on the AT.

Ill attempt to watch it once, but will probably not return to it again.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 12-19-2018 at 10:46.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Uhg, this to me looks like a teenage drama queen special. Probably won't be seeking this one out.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Chive View Post
    Synopsis from the Tribeca Film Festival:

There is perhaps no better place to discover one’s true self than out in nature, devoid of cell phones, streaming video, and all other technological vices. For the married Bluebird (Laia Costa), hiking the Appalachian Trail sans husband offers her the chance to do just that. At first, she thinks it’s no big deal to pair up with a hiking companion, the younger Lake (Thomas Mann), who she meets on the trail. But as they get to know each other, their easygoing chemistry and unspoken mutual attraction eventually culminate with a kiss. And that’s when everything changes. What began as an innocent bond grows into an unexpected romance that forces Bluebird and Lake to straddle the fine line between their emotional unavailability and undeniable desire.
    Devoid of cell phones, streaming video... Where the heck is this? Not the AT I've hiked! They should have hired a thru-hiker to write the synopsis.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is at 40%, not a good sign. Although there have been plenty of movies that the I have disagreed with the rest of the world on.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I'm afraid Rotten Tomatoes and other unfavorable reviews probably got it right. The movie is available to rent via Amazon Prime, and I finally had a chance to watch it over the holiday break. With the low cost of $4.99 to rent it I am relieved I didn't spend another cent on it (or worse yet had paid much more at the theater). From my understanding the National Park Service is quite restrictive when it comes to allowing commercial filming, so there is not much real AT footage if you are hoping for such. In fact there is one solitary white blaze seen along a roadside crossing at the very end of the movie (unless I missed others earlier). There's a bit of distant scenery throughout the movie - primarily the Blue Ridge mountains. The movie opens in Grayson Highlands (complete with a couple wild ponies in the scenes) and it ends presumably in the Roanoke, VA area (the main characters hitchhike into town and ask to be dropped off in Daleville). The story line is pretty weak and neither of the main characters are developed to any real extent. Plenty of opportunities to build on backstories are missed in my opinion. I am usually one to not follow movie critic's opinions (like food, I believe movie tastes can be subjective), so venture if you wish. It's only an hour and a half of your time. But if asked I would say this one is worth skipping.

++ New Posts ++