WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Foothills Trail

Default Foothills Trail

I did a quick search and didn't find much on WB for the FHT, lots of info on the FHT website and I picked up a map at REI yesterday.

From reading it sounds like an easy trail, 76-miles end-to-end. My buddy and I are leaving Sunday, parking at Oconee SP and shuttling to Tablerock SP. Other than downed trees from the winter storm earlier this month it all sounds good, downed trees aren't a problem and maybe carry a little extra water over Sassafrass Mtn, that appears to be the longest section without water

Is the loop around to Ellicott Rock worth taking?

https://foothillstrail.org/trail-conditions/

There’s lots of info here on the FHT. Do a google search instead of WB search and you’ll find links to WB threads. Also, Dogwood is a good resource.

Im headed there in early January, let me know how it goes. I’m only doing half.

Images

Ha! All up and down, but different from AT up and down. Some long easy stretches. Some straight up and downs, mostly with stairs. I started at Burrells Ford and took the Chatooga trail to the Fork Mt trail and hooked up with the FHT at Hwy 107 Sloan Bridge and finished at Hwy 178 Laurel Valley. So I missed some easy hiking at first and some of the toughest hiking at the end. Took 4 nights for me (short days on the ends). Lots of bridges, both large and foot bridges, along with many steps, which you don't get a lot of on the AT. Also unlike the AT, there aren't flat tent campsites everywhere as there are larger sites where you're supposed to camp. Kind of makes logistics a bit harder. Its a much better trail for hammocks, which is what I did.

I didn't find Ellicott Rock to be worth it much. The Fork Mt. trail intersects very close to there and there are some great campsites south of there as you get to and around where E.Fork comes into the Chatooga. You can also take the dirt road down to the Fish Hatchery and from there take the E.Fork trail to the Chatooga trail that intersects at a large camp area - nicer "beach" site about a half mile further down. From there to Burrells Ford is easy hiking as is the rest of it to Oconee SP I believe.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Scope added pertinent info. Scope nailed it.

The FHT is easy in most ways. Looking at the elev profile it's more gradual starting out at O SP compared to starting at Table Rock SP.

It's a well watered trail all yr round. The FHT is known for its waterfalls.

If you like history and added exploration finding Ellicott Rock can be desirable. Even though Elllicott Rock is no longer the exact spot where GA, SC, and NC all meet it might offer some appeal sayin' you stood in all three states at once. Be prepared to get wet to do so.

As Scope stated FHT has acceptable alternates. One is following the Chattooga River Tr further north to the Fork Mt Tr reconnecting with the FHT at Sloan Bridge. Personally, I like mixing scenery taking alternates and hiking and camping along a tumbling scenic river like the Chattooga on some FHT hikes. The FHT is largely a forest hike. It is fine for hanging but also camping although you're not going to find the plethora of regularly spaced beaten down CS's as one will on the AT.

The FHT is actually a named segment of a larger interconnected trail system that far surpasses 76 miles.

There have been several detailed FHT threads on WB. Also at REI are sold the FHT Guidebooks acceptable for on trail use but not WP unless it's changed. Sales of the FHT Guidebooks and FHT map support the trail something we all desire to participate as members of the hiking community. The Guidebooks offer significant details on spurs, mileage, water sources, CS's, bridges, TH access locations, alternates, etc.

Personally, even though based in N GA I immensely enjoy times backpacking in upstate SC where it borders NC. There's a lot of history, diversity, people are nice, hikes can still offer uncrowded solitude, and the FHT isn't the only show in the area.

BTW, "thru hiking" the FHT in winter is certainly doable. I usually get to thru the FHT or an extended FHT in the mix trip in Dec-Feb. One thing to note is there are thickly vegetated low elev CS's next to streams or rivers or in forests where the colder air settles. In winter I try to avoid sleeping in those places.

Scope and Dogwood thanks for the info. We can wait until we get to the trail junction cutting off to Ellicott Rock before deciding on hiking that direction or continuing on the main FHT. We also know starting out from TRSP will have a decent climb shortly into the hike nothing technical or too difficult and finishing at OSP will be a much flatter finish.

Neither of us ever camp next to water no matter what the season is. We use tarp shelters and much prefer finding a small flat spot at a slightly higher elevation to avoid dampness.

I looked at the trail guide while at REI, didn't really care for the way is was done and the map I have is the same one the FHT sells on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Scope and Dogwood thanks for the info. We can wait until we get to the trail junction cutting off to Ellicott Rock before deciding on hiking that direction or continuing on the main FHT. We also know starting out from TRSP will have a decent climb shortly into the hike nothing technical or too difficult and finishing at OSP will be a much flatter finish.

Neither of us ever camp next to water no matter what the season is. We use tarp shelters and much prefer finding a small flat spot at a slightly higher elevation to avoid dampness.

I looked at the trail guide while at REI, didn't really care for the way is was done and the map I have is the same one the FHT sells on the website.
    Great trail...winter should be perfect as did late March and had ideal temps etc..fun 3.5 day hike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Great trail...winter should be perfect as did late March and had ideal temps etc..fun 3.5 day hike...
    3.5 days is what I estimated, maybe a full 4 days with shorter daylight hours, we're both up and hiking as soon as we can see where our feet are without headlamps, and there is no need to hike after dark when there's no deadline.

3.5 days is what I estimated, maybe a full 4 days with shorter daylight hours, we're both up and hiking as soon as we can see where our feet are without headlamps, and there is no need to hike after dark when there's no deadline.
    I started late around 4 the first day and night hiked to the BF campground where I had it to myself, finished mid day on fourth day. I found very well graded except for the stairs....they were kind of tedious...enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a beautiful trail. I thru hiked from Oconee to Table Rock in February 2015. I had to cancel a return trip this year but would like to do it again, this time adding Cesar's head state park. I found it easy to do in four days despite the short days. I saw very few hikers and had lots of solitude. It is one of the best maintained trails I've hiked and has a great trail association with shuttles available from nice and helpful people. I'd seriously consider this area for eventual retirement if I opt for the east but I probably love the Sierra Nevada too much to retire in the east.

FHT is one of my favorite hiking trails. There are some easier parts but don't be fooled because there are other sections that will test even the most seasoned hiker.

The one thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to finish it in 3 or 4 days. I realize the hike your own hike mantra but this is a trail to be savored, like a fine wine. To rush through it just to finish seems like such a waste.

Don't forget to visit every waterfall possible. You will not be disappointed.

I forgot to add, if you need an expert and highly reliable shuttle for the FHT, give Jim Simpson a call at 864-431-0447.

Jim provided my shuttle. Great guy and knew all about the trail and surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I forgot to add, if you need an expert and highly reliable shuttle for the FHT, give Jim Simpson a call at 864-431-0447.
    Thanks for the info.I've only done an overnighter on the FHT but will definitely be going back.

The one thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to finish it in 3 or 4 days. I realize the hike your own hike mantra but this is a trail to be savored, like a fine wine. To rush through it just to finish seems like such a waste.
    Hike it faster if you want to test your fitness level and do a realistic AT thru hike shakedown. Hike it slow if fitness level isn't a concern. I'm considering doing this trail in 4 days just to say I did. But slower hikes are nice too.

We finished in 3-days the last 2-miles in the dark under a bright moon. It's an easy trail all the way with lots of water and waterfalls. We saw 2-bears, 7-deer, several wild turkeys and a really fat raccoon came through camp Sunday night, it thought about joining Tom under his tarp, that thought lasted about 2-seconds.

FHT is one of my favorite hiking trails. There are some easier parts but don't be fooled because there are other sections that will test even the most seasoned hiker.

Don't forget to visit every waterfall possible. You will not be disappointed.
    Why do you think we rushed? We didn't, we're both in great shape, we're up and packed before sunrise, hike until dark, set camp, eat, sleep, repeat. It's what we enjoy and we do it because we can, and we're both older than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Hike it faster if you want to test your fitness level and do a realistic AT thru hike shakedown. Hike it slow if fitness level isn't a concern. I'm considering doing this trail in 4 days just to say I did. But slower hikes are nice too.
    Do it!

We finished in 3-days the last 2-miles in the dark under a bright moon. It's an easy trail all the way with lots of water and waterfalls. We saw 2-bears, 7-deer, several wild turkeys and a really fat raccoon came through camp Sunday night, it thought about joining Tom under his tarp, that thought lasted about 2-seconds.

Why do you think we rushed? We didn't, we're both in great shape, we're up and packed before sunrise, hike until dark, set camp, eat, sleep, repeat. It's what we enjoy and we do it because we can, and we're both older than you are.

Do it!
    Nice! I can’t wait. What campsites did you stay at?

TJ, did you get the email I sent about the Jan 5 FHT trail maintenance on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    TJ, did you get the email I sent about the Jan 5 FHT trail maintenance on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment?
    I don’t think so, but thanks for letting me know.

TJ, make some mailbox space. I'll resend it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++