WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Foothills Trail

I have done all but two sections of the FHT. Both times I have done multi-day hikes, I/we started on Friday afternoon and hiked until Sunday. 24 miles the first time and just over 30 the second. One thing I would mention is that there are several marked campsites on the trail map but although they looked very remote on the map, there are parking areas or fire service roads with fairly easy access to those other than backpackers. We ended up hiking several extra unplanned miles both Friday nights because the camp sites we planned to stop at were crowded with people who drove in (nearby) or boated in and set up for the weekend. There are also not a ton of suitable campsites for more than one tent for much of the trail. The ones that are suitable are very large and have great water access but they never seemed to work out with our planned pace.
    As mentioned, the Jocassee Gorges area (NC) has several sections with stairs, one of which is 300 makeshift stairs. It is a beautiful trail and one I plan to complete this Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The FHTC will be on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment removing brush and blow downs on Jan 5. We could use assistance. Show up at Sloan Bridge at 9 a.m.

I haven't done the Fork Mt Tr in the last 24 months. In the past there were a few blowdowns that were left and easy to step over.
    Does anyone know if the Sloan bridge-Fish Hatchery section got cleaned up? If I recall, the weather was bad on the weekend of Jan 5.

(I found this section to be in pretty bad shape and had a bum knee so couldn’t crawl under the blowdowns and had to turn back. Oh yeah...I also stepped in human excrement behind the restroom. Not my most favorite trip but hope to make it up in a few weeks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post

Does anyone know if the Sloan bridge-Fish Hatchery section got cleaned up? If I recall, the weather was bad on the weekend of Jan 5.
    I did Oconee to Burrel's Ford on Saturday. Lots of freshly chainsawed blowdowns in that section. Only had to belly crawl under one. Unfortunately, my hiking partner got injured and we did not continue, so not sure about the next section. One of the shuttle drivers told me he heard about blowdowns in the Toxaway area but was uncertain about whether or not they had been cleared. Chatooga River was running big and beautiful.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

It did. I hiked the trail end-to-end during 4 days at the end of February (Oconee to Table Rock). Many areas had tons of cleaned up blow downs. Excellent trail maintenance out there. There are still a number of significant blown downs all along the trail. Too many to recall. Nothing presented a serious problem; just took a little patience. One short section at the Chattogga River was under water.

By the way, this trail easily compares to the southern AT in terms of difficulty. It has plenty of gentle sections, but the ups and downs are steep with few switchbacks. Thousands of slippery steps. As soon as you get into a good pace and start doing good mileage you are presented with another brutal incline that slows you to a crawl. It's a beautiful trail with hardly any traffic. I saw only two other backpackers in 4 days.

Highly recommend this trail.

Never know what you might experience behind restrooms. Best to not get close. The pic tables and day spot down behind them is nice though next to the steam for a shady spot for a stop.

Yes it got cleaned up. The FHT conference did a clean up. It might need more if ice or snow or a storm still hits which isn't outta the question. If you start at the Hatchery Rd Th hiking towards O NP good to go. If injured the last 20 around O NP is some of the fattest and cleanest. I'm going out to end to end starting in Mt Bridge Wilderness next wk so ask after I'll give ya a latest.

Never know what you might experience behind restrooms. Best to not get close. The pic tables and day spot down behind them is nice though next to the steam for a shady spot for a stop.

Yes it got cleaned up. The FHT conference did a clean up. It might need more if ice or snow or a storm still hits which isn't outta the question. If you start at the Hatchery Rd Th hiking towards O NP good to go. If injured the last 20 around O NP is some of the fattest and cleanest. I'm going out to end to end starting in Mt Bridge Wilderness next wk so ask after I'll give ya a latest.
    It wasn’t literally behind the bathroom but on the trail behind the bathroom area, next to the stream and more than one pile. This was during govt shut down. Pissed me off.

No current injuries. Had a hard fall before that hike but now healed.

I just might see you out there...might even beat you to the finish.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 03-20-2019 at 18:32.

Thanks everyone for the info.

..might even beat you to the finish.
    Is there an FKT or something like that for this trail?

Figured Mat Kirk was in the books. He did a sub 17 hr in 05. Current FKT is sub 15 hrs set in 2012. Something like a 5.35 MPG avg?

Let me know if you're serious about attempting the FKT and I can help in any way?

It wasn’t literally behind the bathroom but on the trail behind the bathroom area, next to the stream and more than one pile. This was during govt shut down. Pissed me off.

No current injuries. Had a hard fall before that hike but now healed.

I just might see you out there...might even beat you to the finish.
    Had a great hike from Sloan Bridge to OSP. Camped at Burrells Ford and was glad I didn’t go further on the first day as most cs’s along the river were taken. Hiked on to OSP the next day. I’m not used to hiking on weekends and was surprised at the amount of hikers and fishermen that were out. Beautiful weather and awesome trail.

Highly recommend Jim the shuttle driver.

Dogwood, did you do your planned hike?

Got back yesterday afternoon. Started in Jones Gap SP took the pinnacle pass, nature land trust to caesars head spur.called it since PT was debilitating. Damn last two pr of trail runners and my too quick embrace of zero drop screwed my feet up going on 6 months.

Weather was gorgeous and the trails taken were largely void of people.

Taking the fork alternates can provide for diversity of scenery and fewer folks. Area around Burrells is usually busy on breaking warm spring weather days.

The 10 or so miles around oconee are some of my least fav if staying on the FHT. The best parts are the O Belles in bloom, CCC built structures in O SP, and the shower and ice cream at the camp store.

How about you? What did you enjoy?

Meal
    Weather was gorgeous and the trails taken were largely void of people.

Taking the fork alternates can provide for diversity of scenery and fewer folks. Area around Burrells is usually busy on breaking warm spring weather days.

The 10 or so miles around oconee are some of my least fav if staying on the FHT. The best parts are the O Belles in bloom, CCC built structures in O SP, and the shower and ice cream at the camp store.

How about you? What did you enjoy?
    I really enjoyed my birthday meal by the river...best one ever. I loved seeing all the little kids at Burrells Ford out camping with their parents. Loved the scenery and waterfalls and really appreciated that there weren’t any miles-long, 3000’ climbs.

99DAD05C-45B5-4FFE-9AD2-4B09CADEB818.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

...but I prefer more solitude and will definitely explore the side trails once I’m finished with the FHT.

(didn’t mean to post the photo of the flowers, can’t ever figure out how to do photos on WB. I thought they were O Belles but a quick google makes me think they’re not...I’m not good with plant ID)

Crap, I'm kinda jealous. Was thinking of doing the FHT last month, but the weather was sucking. Ended up taking two 4 day "weekends"(off days midweek) and roaming around the Cumberland Plateau. Still want to do it, but not after the trail traffic picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Crap, I'm kinda jealous. Was thinking of doing the FHT last month, but the weather was sucking. Ended up taking two 4 day "weekends"(off days midweek) and roaming around the Cumberland Plateau. Still want to do it, but not after the trail traffic picks up.

This is a trail that makes me want to linger at waterfalls and take long breaks on river beaches. It’s a lot more fun to do that in good weather.

Where on the Cumberland plateau do you hike?

Where on the Cumberland plateau do you hike?
    Oh, now you've started something.
    Everywhere, and I recommend it ALL!
    Not joking. I'm in Alabama, but Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard only take about 1.5hr longer to get to than Cheaha and the Pinhoti, so I actually hike more in TN than AL. In late fall through early spring, I'm up there midweek about 3x per month, and have places almost completely to myself.
    Virgin Falls is a favorite, too, and Scotts Gulf/Bridgestone-Firestone Centennial Wilderness is right across the street. I take some vacation time every December to spend a week around Big South Fork, with Pickett State Park and Pogue Creek Canyon SNA right there on the east side, and Daniel Boone NF just north. The past few months I've been combining an overnighter or two at a time with quick visits to places that don't have much mileage, just to see more waterfalls(LOVE waterfalls). Frozen Head, Laurel-Snow, Fall Creek Falls, stops at Ozone Falls, Piney Falls SNA, Burgess Falls, Rock Island, stuff like that. I love the terrain, and the hiking in the whole area from the AL/TN line up into KY is just glorious. I'd be up there screwing around right now, except for covering 3 extra shifts while a guy's on vacation this week.

But I've seen most of that many times over, and have only briefly hiked on parts of the FHT, like at Table Rock SP and around Whitewater Falls, so I want to do all that. I like a lot of places in SC/NC, but only get up there once every couple of years, since it's quite a drive and I have to save vacation time for trips out West.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Oh, now you've started something.
    Everywhere, and I recommend it ALL!
    Not joking. I'm in Alabama, but Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard only take about 1.5hr longer to get to than Cheaha and the Pinhoti, so I actually hike more in TN than AL. In late fall through early spring, I'm up there midweek about 3x per month, and have places almost completely to myself.
    Virgin Falls is a favorite, too, and Scotts Gulf/Bridgestone-Firestone Centennial Wilderness is right across the street. I take some vacation time every December to spend a week around Big South Fork, with Pickett State Park and Pogue Creek Canyon SNA right there on the east side, and Daniel Boone NF just north. The past few months I've been combining an overnighter or two at a time with quick visits to places that don't have much mileage, just to see more waterfalls(LOVE waterfalls). Frozen Head, Laurel-Snow, Fall Creek Falls, stops at Ozone Falls, Piney Falls SNA, Burgess Falls, Rock Island, stuff like that. I love the terrain, and the hiking in the whole area from the AL/TN line up into KY is just glorious. I'd be up there screwing around right now, except for covering 3 extra shifts while a guy's on vacation this week.

But I've seen most of that many times over, and have only briefly hiked on parts of the FHT, like at Table Rock SP and around Whitewater Falls, so I want to do all that. I like a lot of places in SC/NC, but only get up there once every couple of years, since it's quite a drive and I have to save vacation time for trips out West.
    Awesome! I know who to go to with questions. Piney River is at the top of my list for upcoming hikes.

So you’ve been hiking the Cumberland Trail? I’m going to hike a few more sections then no more, at least not until there’s better maintenance and support for hikers. I’ve become very frustrated with the CT.

Have you hiked at Obed Wild and Scenic River?

I enjoyed the "eastatoe narrows spur off the Foothills Trail, easy logging road most of the hike then sharp drop down to narrows / falls. The ferns that line the walls only grow there and Jamaica
    in North America.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++