WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default deleted

deleted due to harassing messages sent and emails
    Last edited by Trail Lady; 12-29-2018 at 23:39. Reason: DELETED due to threats recieved

Nice video and nice looking pack. Seems more comparable to the zpacks nero. Let us how it feels carrying your gear for a couple of nights. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Nice video and nice looking pack. Seems more comparable to the zpacks nero. Let us how it feels carrying your gear for a couple of nights. Very interesting.
    LiteAF is new to me. It looks like they’re picking up the market that ZPacks abandoned when they gave up their custom Nero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You do realize that the Arc Blast has a frame and the LiteAF does not, right?

I think you might discover that packing a frameless pack is a bit of an art unto itself, and that frameless is a lot more load-sensitive than framed.

Better have that UL kit really dialed in.

Journal Entries

Unboxings.....

How about actually use it?

Nice review. I've been very happy with my orders from LiteAF. Incredible workmanship, great communication and high-quality products. For those of you interested in some of Chris's offerings I don't think you will be disappointed.

Did I hear correctly on your latest video that you're at 32 pounds??? That's not gonna be fun on a frameless pack if so

Problematic making fair pack comparisons between a frame included 55L pack and 40L frameless rucksack. Stack 15 1 L water bottles(nalgenes, etc) on the counter. That's how much less volume the 40L offers. That's a significant volume difference in packs. Not always but often frameless rucksacks cost less than a framed pack. Not always but often lower volume packs cost less than higher volume packs. However, I totally hear you about the cost of DCF backpacks especially ZP's. But on the other hand ZP 's Arc Blast offers some nifty well thought out features that add to the cost. IMHO, even though you want hip belt pockets in comparing individual costs I'd leave out the $50 ZP pockets.

LOL You're so funny mentioning the Lite AF hip belt pockets. I like that added stretchy fabric on the sides too. The WP side placed zipper helps keep h2o out of the hip belt pocket too, a good design feature to have for an AT thru. I like the uhhhh ha ho ahhh sucking on lemons well isn't that special face you make unwrapping your present. You're well on your way to being a gear junkie.

I can tell you Artemis if saving $$$ was one of my highest backpack purchasing priorities I wouldn't be geeking out with it having to be DCF. A 21 oz 40 L pack in DCF in my mind better be made because I'm in love with some features of DCF beyond it supposedly saving wt in main body fabric choice because in all honesty a 40 L 21 oz pack isn't all that very light wt for a 40 L ruck sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I can tell you Artemis if saving $$$ was one of my highest backpack purchasing priorities I wouldn't be geeking out with it having to be DCF. A 21 oz 40 L pack in DCF in my mind better be made because I'm in love with some features of DCF beyond it supposedly saving wt in main body fabric choice because in all honesty a 40 L 21 oz pack isn't all that very light wt for a 40 L ruck sack.
    That is indeed heavy for a 40L frameless DCF.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It certainly looks bigger than 40, maybe they are counting the main compartment only?

It certainly looks bigger than 40, maybe they are counting the main compartment only?
    Maybe. It has got a very long roll top... a solid 8" more than my older (2012) Arc Blast. I guess the intent is to extend it and pack more stuff in the top. I like the big mesh panel.

Maybe. It has got a very long roll top... a solid 8" more than my older (2012) Arc Blast. I guess the intent is to extend it and pack more stuff in the top. I like the big mesh panel.
    My zpacks zero small is 32” long.

Thom

Their website says they measure pack volume by the body of the pack, does not include any pockets or mesh.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Their website says they measure pack volume by the body of the pack, does not include any pockets or mesh.
    So it is closer to arc blast at 42L main compartment capacity, sans the frame. Z-packs counts everything.

I'm not familiar with the LiteAF packs and I didn't watch the unboxing video, never have I cared for so called reviews without the person actually using the gear for at least 100 trail miles or so. I find a lot of novice gear junkies do this.

During my SOBO-Flip this year I saw far too many frameless packs overloaded, hikers grumbling about weight, shoulder pain,etc. One NOBO told be he left Springer with close to 40-lbs in his frameless. By the time I met him south of Damascus the packs stitching was beginning to fail, he blamed it on poor craftsmanship. I'm very familiar with the pack he had, I too have it but at a sub-18lbs TPW for 6-days. It is my opinion people are buying the lightest packs and forgetting to lighten their gear weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    I'm not familiar with the LiteAF packs and I didn't watch the unboxing video, never have I cared for so called reviews without the person actually using the gear for at least 100 trail miles or so. I find a lot of novice gear junkies do this.

During my SOBO-Flip this year I saw far too many frameless packs overloaded, hikers grumbling about weight, shoulder pain,etc. One NOBO told be he left Springer with close to 40-lbs in his frameless. By the time I met him south of Damascus the packs stitching was beginning to fail, he blamed it on poor craftsmanship. I'm very familiar with the pack he had, I too have it but at a sub-18lbs TPW for 6-days. It is my opinion people are buying the lightest packs and forgetting to lighten their gear weight.
    Seems people think that having a very light pack will make up for excess/heavy junk elsewhere. It won't — it just makes it worse.

Seems people think that having a very light pack will make up for excess/heavy junk elsewhere. It won't — it just makes it worse.
    Exactly right.

Yes ultralight big 3 and then non ultralight for the rest of the gear.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Yes ultralight big 3 and then non ultralight for the rest of the gear.

thom
    Several of the NOBO's I met who claimed to be UL were carrying tents in the 5-lb range for one person.

++ New Posts ++