WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Amicalola or Springer?

Hi all. I'm thru hiking NOBO March 2019. I'm travelling from Ireland to Atlanta and want to hire a shuttle. I need to stop at outfitters as there are certain things I cant buy here or take on plane. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle? Also, is there any benefit in starting at Amicolola or should I take shuttle straight to Springer?
    Thanks

Journal Entries

You can ship anything you cant bring to a shuttler to hold for you. And most will sell you fuel too. No need to stop anywhere.

Although the only thing you cant bring is fuel really. Everything else in checked bag, lighter matches li batteries in carryon.

Good outfitter at mile 30 on trail. Trail actually goes thru building.

Endless pointless debate for starting at springer vs amicalola. Do what you like. I will only say the amicalola falls are a highlight of Georgia, especially after rain.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-15-2018 at 18:17.

Your probably going to want to spend at least one night someplace for a good nights sleep before you head out and the Lodge at Amicalola is a nice place to do that. You get to start out rested with a hot breakfast in you. The hike up the approach trail is not bad from the Lodge and is a good warm up to stretch the legs. Once you get to the top of Springer it's an easy 2.8 to Stover Creek shelter which is a nice place to stay. That sets you up to be 2 1/2 days from Neel Gap at a moderate pace. It's also kind of nice knowing you got to the top more or less from the bottom on your own. So, I'm in with the do the approach group.

Get reservations though, the Lodge does tend to fill up at that time of year, especially if the day you show up the weather is nasty and no one wants to go outside and play.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I know a lot of people would probably laugh at it taking more then 2.5 days from Stover Creek to Neel Gap but I sure wasn't making that happen. I was slow but a lot of people were even slower then me in the beginning. A lot of people like 7-8 mile days starting off, so you might want to give yourself a little extra time and not plan out how long from point A to point B exactly till you get going a little. I still never planned that out exactly my entire hike but that's just me.

I do recommend Amicalola and a short bit after starting the AT theres a few short side trails to some smaller falls that are worth checking out.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

There's a fair amount of shuttle info with a quick search. Most will let you ship gear to them and offer fuel to buy.

I used the further shuttle. Private ride from ATL to amicalola and they stopped at an outfitter bought a fuel can and gave it to me as part of my cost.

All in all it was like $90 for a private ride and a large fuel can. Considering what I heard other people paying for shared shuttle and no fuel I would say I got a better deal than most.

The only people who will ever entertain the springer vs amicalola debate are people who have never thru hiked.

Go to amicalola. The state park alone is like a proper welcome to the Appalachian Trail. Enjoy the hike, chill out on springer. Take a deep breath, then walk to the first shelter, set up camp and enjoy the company. Avoid/ignore the gotta get to maine attitude right off the bat.

Everyone was talking about maine those first 30 miles. Its funny how quickly that talk dissipates a few weeks into the trail.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

If you decide to stay at the Lodge (top of the falls), you may want to slackpack from the bottom, just to say you did the WHOLE approach trail. Starting at the bottom with a fully loaded pack may tempt you to quit before you even start.

Another option would be to stay in the shelter behind the Welcome Center at the bottom of the falls and start from there. Hike your own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpers View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good shuttle?
    Ron Brown has an outstanding reputation as a shuttler. He is near the top of the page at this link for AT shuttlers:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

I started at Amicolola on my section hike covering everything south of Franklin NC and was glad I did. Amicolola Falls are worth seeing in my opinion.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Amicalola. The falls are spectacular. Springer Mtn. isn't.

The worst thing about the stairs is you can't use your poles and the railings are a little high to get good support... but it really isn't that bad. There's even a few places to sit down on the way up the stairs if you need a break or two.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

It's going to be difficult/expensive to ship gear from Ireland, and the OP did say there are things they want that can't be purchased there anyway.

Most of the shuttlers who will pick up in Atlanta can stop at REI, a very large outfitter that is basically on the way. I second the suggestion to spend a night at the Amicalola Lodge, in the state park. It's basically at the start of the climb up the Approach Trail. It's not cheap, but it's worthwhile in my opinion. My partner and I stayed there on a long section and enjoyed it. This way you can relax a little bit as you stop at the outfitter and get your gear together, then get a good night's sleep and a great breakfast in the morning. Then walk out the door and start walking north

Good luck and happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Other benefits to starting at Amicalola:

• You can pick up your 2019 A.T. backpack tag there (ideally register your thru-hike start date before you get there at www.atcamp.org)
    • Sign the official thru-hiker register
    • Weigh your pack (Yeah, you've weighed it before you left home, but who hasn't made some last-minute adjustments?)
    • Avoid potential problems with mud or ice on the Forest Service roads to Springer
    • Help reduce crowding at Springer (hiking only once between the parking lot and the summit, instead of backtracking and doubling the traffic)
    • Receive a brief thru-hiker orientation from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy ridgerunner; even if you're experienced hiker, you might hear some useful updates.
    • Learn how to do a proper PCT bear hang (if you're not carrying a bear canister). The ridgerunner does a demo right outside the visitor center and gives you a chance to practice.
    • Iconic photo op at the stone arch, a fitting beginning - if you're on social media tag your photo #startatthearch

Also, the stairs force you to start with a slow pace. Hopefully it can help you set a pattern from the beginning to learn to stop and rest frequently and enjoy the view. Learn to pay attention to your breathing and heart rate, listen to your body and drink frequently.

If you're truly not ready to begin a thru-hike (that's probably not you Simpers, since you are clearly thinking carefully in advance about what you need to do to prepare) you'll realize it quickly while you're still close to civilization, and save yourself and not-so-local rescuers having to haul you out of a remote area. I don't know the number of would-be thru-hikers that have to be rescued every year in Georgia, but it's not an insignificant number.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will go to Amicolola then. Good news I don't have to stop at an outfitters. Contacted shuttle and they will provide the fuel.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will get the lodge booked once I get my flights organised. Much appreciated. Sara. :-)

Amicalola it is then! Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it as it's my first time doing the AT and there is only so much a guide book or Youtube can tell you. It's so useful talking to other thru hikers. Thank you. Sara :-)

Brilliant advice. Thanks so much for your reply. Will go to Amicalola. Good to talk to other thru hikers as most people over here haven't even heard of the AT so i've had to do a lot of research online but it's worth gold talking to people who have thru hiked it. Much appreciated. Sara :-)

Thanks so much for your reply. Advice taken on board. Will definitely start at Amicalola! Sara :-)

Journal Entries

IMHO it doesn't matter, either way you will be hiking the AT. Pick a plan for one or the other, but I'd say go with the flow. You might find a easy ride to one, I'd take that unless I really wanted to do the other.

The trail will guide you and not mislead you, if you can listen to her. One can thrive on the AT when one is open to her teachings.

Thanks so much for your reply. Emailed Ron and he replied straight away. He's even bringing fuel for me. Much appreciated!! Sara :-)

Thanks so much for your reply. Amicalola it is ! Sara :-)

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll probably need a few breaks at the start til I get going so appreciate the advice. Sara :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++