WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Greenwood Lake Bailout on State Line Trail

I'm trying to finish up my NJ section with a quick dash to the NY state line and no further! Does anyone have personal experience with the State Line Trail leading from the AT to Greenwood Lake? The hike is a short 2+ to or from Longhouse Rd (Brady Rd) depending on whether NOBO or SOBO would be best.

Note: I will already be tired before I start this, and have only about 3 hrs to complete.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Yes. But there are some decent existing write ups already on line. Look at Surprise lake, Stateline Tr(greenwood lake, and Beaufort Ridge.

Images

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...ate-line-trail

honestly ive hiked it once cause i'm local to it, but if i were section hiking the AT from away i'd skip it. turn around and go back the way you came (1 mile longer but the extra driving from bailing at stateline wouldnt be worth it to me) or i would just plan it for a time when i had the time to go through to 17A (a hair over 8 miles total)

My only advice is that if you go down the Stateline trail make sure you have lots of daylight! I got caught at dusk, lost the trail and bushwhacked to lights. The kind gentleman drove me to the parking lot and said I was not the first hiker to knock on his door!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm trying to finish up my NJ section with a quick dash to the NY state line and no further! Does anyone have personal experience with the State Line Trail leading from the AT to Greenwood Lake? The hike is a short 2+ to or from Longhouse Rd (Brady Rd) depending on whether NOBO or SOBO would be best.

Note: I will already be tired before I start this, and have only about 3 hrs to complete.
    I don't think it matters whether you go NOBO or SOBO. Either way is a pretty nice hike. Just keep in mind that the State Line Trail is pretty steep. Both ends have small parking lots, but on the Greenwood Lake side be mindful the Marina across the street owns the adjacent land and don't want you parking on their property. Signs tell you where to park. The Longhouse Rd end has enough parking off street parking. PM me, I may be able to shuttle you back and forth if you know when you are hiking this. I am very local to this area.

ChrisMek

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMek View Post
    I don't think it matters whether you go NOBO or SOBO. Either way is a pretty nice hike. Just keep in mind that the State Line Trail is pretty steep. Both ends have small parking lots, but on the Greenwood Lake side be mindful the Marina across the street owns the adjacent land and don't want you parking on their property. Signs tell you where to park. The Longhouse Rd end has enough parking off street parking. PM me, I may be able to shuttle you back and forth if you know when you are hiking this. I am very local to this area.

ChrisMek
    I've had to postpone this adventure until the new year unfortunately, but when I know I'll be in touch. As long as it's not icy the steepness shouldn't be a problem....I hope.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

++ New Posts ++