WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sleeping pad

Default Sleeping pad

I know this question has been asked many times but i would appreciate the help I'm thinking about the klymit insulated pad but have a concert about the air inside getting cold in real low temperatures

I have no complaints out of my current Exped pads. I have a UL for summer and a down for winter. I stay very warm and their customer service is top notch
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    I know this question has been asked many times but i would appreciate the help I'm thinking about the klymit insulated pad but have a concert about the air inside getting cold in real low temperatures
    How low is real low in your anticipated conditions?
    I have no problem with my Xtherm, R-5.7, in observed low of 15 F and a 20 F bag.
    Wayne

Images

Which Klymit pad, and how cold?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The following is just my opinion based on personal observations.

I have twice found the Klymit Static V pads to be 2-4 inches shorter than advertised. If you are near 6" tall or a stomach sleeper, this may be relevant to you. These are fairly thick pads and so the dropoff is significant.

I briefly had the uninsulated Static V2, but have also laid on a friend's Insulated Static V Luxe. Whether it was my imagination, or just the vapor barrier effect, I felt some warmth coming back at me at the points of contact on the Luxe. But there are deep gaps between the V-baffles and I did not feel warmth coming back at me in those areas.

There seems to be a widespread belief that the deep baffles are for your sleeping bag to fill in, and thus you will have insulation there. I don't think this is likely to occur, because the shell of the sleeping bag will not "expand" or droop into the groove of between baffles. Loose down would, but not insulation wrapped in a shell. Not significantly, IMO.

The deep grooves might allow cold air to get in from the sides. There are a few posts on reddit about this; however, overall, the insulated static v gets generally high ratings. So it may only be an issue for cold sleepers. I don't know.

The Static V2 was good at keeping me from falling off the pad. The side baffles (which I've read aren't insulated in the Insulated model) are good at letting you know when you're near the edge. However, as a sometime stomach sleeper I prefer a flat surface to lay my cheek upon when I turn my head. IMO it's quieter than the Neoairs, though it still has some noise just by virtue of being an inflatable.

I found the pad slipped around a little bit (as many do). Static V2 is awesomely tiny, and the insulated one is respectably compact.

The air inside an inflatable pad does change temp having affects on pressure and volume. Ask yourself "how might I address that?" I'm more concerned about introducing water vapor into an inflatable when blowing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have no complaints out of my current Exped pads. I have a UL for summer and a down for winter. I stay very warm and their customer service is top notch
    i second this vote. most comfortable sleeping pad ever made overall - insulation, comfort, etc. A real game changing piece of gear.I had almost given up camping and backpacking due to lack of a good nights rest. Had tried all the other makes/models. Even tried hammocks. then I found this company almost by accident before they were really known here in he US. Maybe a few ounces heavier than other options but sleep and rest (imo) are more critical than a few extra ounces. I would encourage you to check them out if you are in the shopping stage.

Exped gets my vote...

I dont see any poll or voting request in the original post, but this is WhiteBlaze, so...

I like the Klymit pads, we have several insulated versions and find they work fine for our conditions.

But in the spirit of this thread, I only take my Exped Downmat when it's REALLY cold.

How low is "real low"? The R value is 4.4 so it might not cut it below 15 degrees. Lots of other factors are involved too, like sleeping bag, site selection, cold tolerance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    How low is "real low"? The R value is 4.4 so it might not cut it below 15 degrees. Lots of other factors are involved too, like sleeping bag, site selection, cold tolerance, etc.
    Clothing used inside the bag.
    The bag. The bag. The bag. All sleeping bags are not created equal.
    Wayne

I have the Klymit Massdrop insulated Static V. However, I've only used it for a handful of trips so far.... About 10 nights. Most were in the 50's, but a couple of nights got down to 37°. I had no issues, and was plenty warm enough in my quilt. In temps below 20°, I'd probably supplement it with a thin closed cell foam pad, but otherwise, I've been happy with the pad.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I forgot to put in I Need one for the mid 20's

When its getting really cold, I highly suggest to use a double setup: A CCF plus an inflatable.

Images

I have a BA insulated pad that I notice starts to get cold overnite when its in the low 30s. I've used it in the 20s and its not terrible. My guess is that the Klymit insulated pad is similar. That happens with all air pads, but the TR Neo gets good marks, and I can tell you from experience that the Exped downmats are awesome. There's a lot of numbers thrown around for these pads, and I wouldn't necessarily go on those alone. If already have a pad, Leo's suggestions of using a ccf pad on top is a good one. Otherwise, no, I don't think the Klymit pad is what you want. However, it still may be cheaper to get any air pad and ccf pad at the same time as the good insulated ones are expensive. Keep in mind, though, that you may want an insulated pad for temps up to the low 50s as well, so an insulated pad is a good investment. Lot depends on how you want to carry the pad(s), so think about that, too.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    When its getting really cold, I highly suggest to use a double setup: A CCF plus an inflatable.
    That can help.

The double setup is pretty cheap and flexible too.
    Everybody has a cheap CCF anyway (and it can be a really cheap one), and an inflatable or self-inflating is very comfy, most pack small, are lightweight and a good way to go for 3-seasons use.
    The double setup would be just for the 4th season use.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    The double setup is pretty cheap and flexible too.
    Everybody has a cheap CCF anyway (and it can be a really cheap one), and an inflatable or self-inflating is very comfy, most pack small, are lightweight and a good way to go for 3-seasons use.
    The double setup would be just for the 4th season use.
    Yup. When one can adapt their sleep system in a modular fashion it might lead to purchasing fewer season dedicated pads that are often pricey.

In Winter, -10 to -20F, we use our Expectations synmat hyperlite duo with a torso length CCF pad underneath it. I prefer the CCF on the bottom because it's more comfortable. Stayed very warm with an Eddie Bauer -30 bag. Overkill, imo.

*Exped. Sometimes I hate auto correct

++ New Posts ++