WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail - Star Tribune

Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  Star Tribune

A permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross two national forests, including parts of the Appalachian Trail, was thrown out Thursday by a federal appeals court ...

More...

Default Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail - WSAW

Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  WSAW

A permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross two national forests, including parts of the Appalachian Trail, was thrown out Thursday by a federal appeals court ...

More...

Default Permit to Build Pipeline Under the Appalachian Trail Thrown Out of Circuit Court - NB

Permit to Build Pipeline Under the Appalachian Trail Thrown Out of Circuit Court  NBC 29 News

A United States circuit court threw out a permit to build a pipeline underneath the Appalachian Trail. The National Forest *Service* initially issued the permit.

More...

here's a link where you don't have to be a member to read the article

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...223053280.html
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Subscribe to read. Right.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Subscribe to read. Right.
    Wayne
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Quoting 'The Lorax,' court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail - As

Quoting 'The Lorax,' court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  Asheville Citizen-Times

US Court of Appeals tosses permit that allows Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail.

More...

Default Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trai

Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  The Daily Progress

RICHMOND — The Atlantic Coast Pipeline faces an escalating legal battle for its existence after a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on ...

More...

Journal Entries

What was interesting is the judge ruled that the National Forest Service abdicated its responsibility to preserve national forest resources, stating:

"We trust the United States Forest Service to 'speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues,'" Judge Stephanie Thacker wrote, quoting Dr. Seuss' 1971 book "The Lorax."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dr-seuss-lorax-makes-appearance-federal-court-ruling/story?id=59804334

Sometimes they act like they own those lands, but they are just in-charge of managing them, and in this case they failed us and the land.

so this is the pipeline that they were protesting against the last couple years, and were already clearing for this year when I passed through?

There were signs on the AT about active protests, I side trail that I believe was pink tagged leading to a protest, and it was either a cop or ranger parked in uniform at a road crossing close to where the protests were happening.

is this the same pipeline?
    NoDoz
    -

Images

Not to worry. The lawmakers beholden to the fossil fuel industry have tucked away an amendment to give the NPS and USFS authority to allow the pipeline. The corporate tax cut at work.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Default Quoting 'The Lorax,' federal judges reject pipeline's effort to cross Appalachian Tra

Quoting 'The Lorax,' federal judges reject pipeline's effort to cross Appalachian Trail  Virginian-Pilot

A federal appeals has thrown out another key permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, increasing the likelihood that work on the 604-mile multi-state project could ...

More...

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Not to worry. The lawmakers beholden to the fossil fuel industry have tucked away an amendment to give the NPS and USFS authority to allow the pipeline. The corporate tax cut at work.
    The ruling is a battle, a temporary obstacle, not an absolute victory. For sure, Dominion Energy(luv the name), DOA, DOI, USFS, and NPS will appeal the decision. The current administration's choices are optimized for just such situations.

The USFS' legislative mandate is managing forests which doesn't equate with preserving(or conserving) national forests. Attorneys in the appeal will use language to reflect this. "A thorough review of the record leads to the necessary conclusion that the Forest Service abdicated its responsibility to preserve national forest resources," Judge Stephanie Thacker

Default Quoting 'The Lorax,' judges reject pipeline's effort to cross Appalachian Trail - Her

Quoting 'The Lorax,' judges reject pipeline's effort to cross Appalachian Trail  Herald-Mail Media

A federal appeals has thrown out another key permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, increasing the likelihood that work on the 604-mile multistate project could ...

More...

I live among pipelines. I see the right of ways whenever we drive more than a few miles from the house.
    I think of them as a ready made fire break in an otherwise dense and impenetrable forest. Something that the people in California might have welcomed recently.
    Until and unless someone develops a reliable alternative means of providing power for your computers and the internet in the dark of night or the still of a windless day, be thankful that the USA is approaching energy independence with enough natural gas for our needs and employ a few folks exporting what we don’t use.
    If you still think that a pipeline ROW is ugly, I suggest that you drive the Interstate Highway between Newport, TN and Asheville, NC round trip for 24 hours.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    so this is the pipeline that they were protesting against the last couple years, and were already clearing for this year when I passed through?
    There were signs on the AT about active protests, I side trail that I believe was pink tagged leading to a protest, and it was either a cop or ranger parked in uniform at a road crossing close to where the protests were happening.
    is this the same pipeline?
    Yes it is, ut do you remember farther North there was an area were we were warned to stay on the trail for a short distance. It had been cleared to the left and also to the right of the trail but a connection had not occurred? I believe this is also a pipeline that is not currently an active sight so no protesters.

I didnt mention much much in a journal I was keeping because I am not usually a “tree hugger” in spite of being an outdoor enthusiasts. However, it was interesting that a similar pipeline reportedly ruptured and has caused a great deal of environmental damage in West Virginia.

I am sure the debate and legal battles we’ll continue.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Default Quoting 'The Lorax,' Court Pulls Permit For Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail - NPR

Quoting 'The Lorax,' Court Pulls Permit For Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail  NPR

The federal judges noted "the Forest *Service's* serious environmental concerns that were suddenly, and mysteriously, assuaged in time to meet a private ...

More...

Default Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trai

Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  Roanoke Times

The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has thrown out a permit issued by the U.S. Forest *Service* that would allow the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross beneath the ...

More...

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Yes it is, ut do you remember farther North there was an area were we were warned to stay on the trail for a short distance. It had been cleared to the left and also to the right of the trail but a connection had not occurred? I believe this is also a pipeline that is not currently an active sight so no protesters.

I didnt mention much much in a journal I was keeping because I am not usually a “tree hugger” in spite of being an outdoor enthusiasts. However, it was interesting that a similar pipeline reportedly ruptured and has caused a great deal of environmental damage in West Virginia.

I am sure the debate and legal battles we’ll continue.
    yes I do remember that and that is what I was referring to by the clearing spot. I believe the ranger or officer (forgot which) was the road crossing before that. Then there were signs asking people to join the protest with a tagged side trail. Then there was that clearing you mentioned on each side of the trail.

This was going on the year before I started, so I figured it was set in stone going through when I saw the clearing but I guess not. I know the appeals will continue but how sweet it would be to see them get shut down after getting that close. Of course the unnecessary clearing of forest sucks, before it was even approved? …. or was it approved and now the court is throwing the permit?
    NoDoz
    -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++