WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

what trail mile was this around?

I took pictures of everything on my thru hike so I'll look for what pics I have of the area... not that it's anything to exciting but I have them, they wont hurt nothing and we're talking about the area so I'll see what I have. I tried to avoid 'eye sore' pics so I may not have any of the clearing but who knows. Probably at least the protest signs/side trail and that person in the vehicle who was being paid to be at the road crossing, just to keep an eye on the protesting....
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Awesome news!

Default Quoting Dr. Seuss, federal court rejects pipeline’s effort to cross Appalachian Trail

Quoting Dr. Seuss, federal court rejects pipeline’s effort to cross Appalachian Trail  NOLA.com

'We trust the United States Forest *Service* to 'speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues'

More...

Default In ruling that quotes Dr. Seuss’ ‘The Lorax,’ Appalachian pipeline permit tossed - Ch

In ruling that quotes Dr. Seuss’ ‘The Lorax,’ Appalachian pipeline permit tossed  Chicago Sun-Times

A federal appeals court cited the classic Dr. Seuss children's book “The Lorax” in tossing out a permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross two national forests, ...

More...

Images

i am curious to hear from everyone that thinks that stopping stopping this pipeline is a good thing...... How do you heat your house? Or where you work? Or where you play?

Finally, I live in Pa and hike a lot in the east. Pipeline cuts are often the good views you get. I am hiking the final 25 miles of the midstate trail in Pa and the guidebook talks of multiple views from pipeline cuts. It is easy to be against something. It is much harder to be for a solution.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

is there really no way to put this pipeline on an already existing right of way instead of carving yet another scar through what little is left of the great eastern forests...

and for malto - selling the "beauty" of a right of way? - i will take the trees over the "view"

Our main problem with reducing the carbon emissions that now threaten us with extreme weather patterns is a short term focus on heating our houses with the cheapest option, typically relying on pipelines for fossil fuel transit. That’s why we are stuck where we are, we all bear responsibility for this.

US population grew from 151 million to 323 million between 1950 and now. As long as the population keeps growing, the demand for energy will keep growing.

Images

I love the AT, but pipelines are part of modern life. There are perhaps hundreds of powerlines, pipelines, rail-road tracks, etc that cross the AT.

Surely we don't expect a pipeline from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh to go through Georgia just to preserve 50' of trail scenery over 2190 miles?

As users of modern technology, we're going to pay for it somehow. If we heat our homes and/or drive cars, we're going to pay for the fuel somehow. If we turn a billion dollar pipeline into a 10 billion dollar effort, the cost will eventually find us.

Choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Yes it is, ut do you remember farther North there was an area were we were warned to stay on the trail for a short distance. It had been cleared to the left and also to the right of the trail but a connection had not occurred? I believe this is also a pipeline that is not currently an active sight so no protesters.

I didnt mention much much in a journal I was keeping because I am not usually a “tree hugger” in spite of being an outdoor enthusiasts. However, it was interesting that a similar pipeline reportedly ruptured and has caused a great deal of environmental damage in West Virginia.

I am sure the debate and legal battles we’ll continue.
    If the construction you mention occurred around Pearisburg it is a different pipeline, the Mountain Valley pipeline. The Atlantic Coast Pipeline, as I understand, will cross the AT near Staunton.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    i am curious to hear from everyone that thinks that stopping stopping this pipeline is a good thing...... How do you heat your house? Or where you work? Or where you play?

Finally, I live in Pa and hike a lot in the east. Pipeline cuts are often the good views you get. I am hiking the final 25 miles of the midstate trail in Pa and the guidebook talks of multiple views from pipeline cuts. It is easy to be against something. It is much harder to be for a solution.

well for me, the fact that they rushed this through ignoring or without properly addressing environmental concerns, is enough to make me want to see their whole project get screwed up.

I'm not one to be able to tell much or come up with any solution here but considering what the judge said it sounds like maybe they could of found a better route ?
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I am not against pipelines per se. I agree that that they probably are the safest and most efficient method of transporting oil and gas. What I don't subscribe to is corporations subverting a process to get what they want. Dominion Energy did not come up with the 10 alternative routes that were requested by USFS. Are there better places to cross the AT? Why can't this pipeline be co-located with an existing pipeline or corridor? In addition there is some debate about the need for this pipeline and the economics involved.

Sure pipelines and power line cuts offer some views. But who wants to look out from a natural vista and see a 200 foot wide gash through the forest?

We can become less dependent on fossil fuels. I have installed a solar array that provides approximately half my electricity needs. The other half is from a provider that uses renewable (wind) sources. I probably use less than 100 gallons of propane annually to heat my water and cook.

More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    If the construction you mention occurred around Pearisburg it is a different pipeline, the Mountain Valley pipeline. The Atlantic Coast Pipeline, as I understand, will cross the AT near Staunton.
    Correct on both counts. The Pearisburg site is the one that had a Game Warden / Officer on a road and then the Protesters farther up the mountain, I believe it was before Rice field. The Atlantic Coast Pipeline is the one that is not connected and was rushed, even though there is still more construction to be done, East of the AT corridor.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Default Atlantic Coast Pipeline's permits to cross national forests, Appalachian Trail challe

Atlantic Coast Pipeline's permits to cross national forests, Appalachian Trail challenged  My Buckhannon

BUCKHANNON – The builders of the Atlantic Coast pipeline encountered yet another hurdle last week when a federal court vacated two permits that would have ...

More...

Default Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trai

Federal court throws out permit for Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail  Napoleon Northwest Signal

The Atlantic Coast Pipeline faces an escalating legal battle for its existence after a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday ...

More...

Default Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail Halted by 4th Circuit Court - EHS Daily Advisor

Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail Halted by 4th Circuit Court  EHS Daily Advisor

An apparent attempt by the U.S. Forest *Service* (USFS) to reverse its previous findings about the potentially detrimental impacts of a proposed 600-mile natural ...

More...

Default Court Strikes Down Permit for Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail - Backpacker

Court Strikes Down Permit for Pipeline Crossing Appalachian Trail  Backpacker

Judges quote Lorax, slam Forest *Service* in ruling questioning project's impact and safety.

More...

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I love the AT, but pipelines are part of modern life. There are perhaps hundreds of powerlines, pipelines, rail-road tracks, etc that cross the AT.

Surely we don't expect a pipeline from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh to go through Georgia just to preserve 50' of trail scenery over 2190 miles?

As users of modern technology, we're going to pay for it somehow. If we heat our homes and/or drive cars, we're going to pay for the fuel somehow. If we turn a billion dollar pipeline into a 10 billion dollar effort, the cost will eventually find us.

Choose wisely.
    Of all the posts, I think FlyPaper expressed my feelings best. We are power-hungry and we will get energy somehow, and as a compromise. I doubt that anyone expects to hike 2200 miles in the modern world without seeing utility structures. We want to have the energy to support our lifestyles (lights, heat, water, wastewater, etc.) but we want to say "not where I hike". When you build a simple house, you are changing someone's view and destroying all kinds of organisms. I love pristine areas and I think we are fortunate to have many acres of them. Another thing, right of way views are great sometimes and blackberries love these areas. We have lots of layers of oversight and regulations for utilities already. It's simply a compromise.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++