WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The croc (and alternatives) discussion is always a good debate. I would stress that they are called “Camp Shoes” because that is their number one purpose. I didn’t really Ford a river until Maine, and that is when they multipurposes as a water shoe. Just something to keep in mind.

Another thought I have is something that I am changing after my Thru Hike. Like you, I opted for the Pre Cip and Pack cover for Warmth and Rain protection. People are correct that you will “wet out” sooner or later on the trail and I agree. However, I found a cheap (“free Hiker box”) Dry Duck poncho that worked the best for me. However, it was hard to get on and off, without someone pulling it down in back and it just seemed to not ride real even or well. I also never used the Pre Cip for warmth because of my Houdini Windshirt serving multiple purposes. Bottom line, I am getting “The Packa” for future use. Also, my pack cover has been abused and has small rips tears and slices in it. Many hikers complained that pack covers wetted out quicker than the rain jacket itself. I truly believe I would have loved the pack cover, poncho, and rain jacket all in one; which is what The Packa is. You might want to check it out. Especially if you are a Windshirt using Hiker.

In in the end, your gear is your personal choice as to what you desire to use and carry.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

If youre bent on taking camp shoes, look at xero clouds as an alternative. Besides being called funny girl names when you wear them, they are legit. Around 5 oz a piece but way more packable than crocs. I wear my crocs all the time at home, but never have the urge to take on trail. If I were taking any camp shoes it would be my xeros.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-...refoot-sandal/

Also, dont recommend a liner with a quilt. I switched to a quilt for the warmth snd the comfort. I hate being restricted in a mummy bag and a liner reminds me of a sleeping bag,defeating half of the advantage. I.v tried that klymit pad, thats my guess for your cold experience. It simply gives you no protection from the cold ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    If youre bent on taking camp shoes, look at xero clouds as an alternative. Besides being called funny girl names when you wear them, they are legit. Around 5 oz a piece but way more packable than crocs. I wear my crocs all the time at home, but never have the urge to take on trail. If I were taking any camp shoes it would be my xeros.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/feeltrue-...refoot-sandal/

Also, dont recommend a liner with a quilt. I switched to a quilt for the warmth snd the comfort. I hate being restricted in a mummy bag and a liner reminds me of a sleeping bag,defeating half of the advantage. I.v tried that klymit pad, thats my guess for your cold experience. It simply gives you no protection from the cold ground.
    Thanks for your feedback! Still up in the air about my camp/ town shoes. Those xero clouds actually look pretty sweet but I'm not a huge fan of something between my toes when it comes to sandals. How is the comfort on those guys?

As for my sleep system, I'm definitely gonna start with the bag liner. My EE quilt was a huge investment for me and it's something I want to use even after the AT so I want to take good care of it and keep it as clean as possible while I'm out there. With that said I'm also the type of guy who needs something draped over me at night to fall asleep so even if it's hot as hell I can use that as a blanket. (in hostels and on hot summer nights). Also, I'm definitely getting a better pad before I start. Currently looking for a neoair xlite but can't find one for under 100 bucks. I might have to bite the bullet and just buy one but I have some time to look for a deal before I hit the trail.

To me it looks a bit sparse for an early March start. We started in early April and had snow, freezing temps, and then soaking rain in the Smokies! I would worry a bit less about low weight and a bit more about staying warm. You can ditch excess weight at Hot Springs or Erwin. Going ultralight in basically winter weather? I dunno.....

The clouds take a couple of days to adjust to but not much. Theyre so light that they don't wear much. Stalk ebay and you'll find the pad. I got one about a year ago for 80... long/wide new in box.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    To me it looks a bit sparse for an early March start. We started in early April and had snow, freezing temps, and then soaking rain in the Smokies! I would worry a bit less about low weight and a bit more about staying warm. You can ditch excess weight at Hot Springs or Erwin. Going ultralight in basically winter weather? I dunno.....
    What would you say I'm missing for cold weather gear? I'm still looking into a pair of gloves and a nicer hat but I'm curious what you think I should add to avoid a chilly start!

Journal Entries
    Images

I carry 2 pairs of Darn Tough socks to hike in and a third pair to sleep in.

I use Lands End water shoes as camp shoes, 17 oz. I don't like the idea of open toed sandals in the woods.

If you wear glasses get an extra pair. I realized the need after doing a full frontal and facial fall, my glasses didn't break but did cut my nose a little (plus a forehead cut from a rock). I called my optometrist from the next mountain top and ordered another pair. Carry your prescription also, pdf it in your phone.

Like others I carried about a liter plus 600ml of drink mix and cameled up at sources.

Dogwood is right about food weight. Reduce food weight with high cal/oz foods and short resupply intervals. I'm relooking my plan for the northern half of the AT to reduce the resupply intervals.

You've got fodder here for a half dozen threads.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Default Gear Shakedown: March 3rd 2019 NOBO Start

Quote Originally Posted by cmarshall099 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback! Still up in the air about my camp/ town shoes. Those xero clouds actually look pretty sweet but I'm not a huge fan of something between my toes when it comes to sandals. How is the comfort on those guys?

As for my sleep system, I'm definitely gonna start with the bag liner. My EE quilt was a huge investment for me and it's something I want to use even after the AT so I want to take good care of it and keep it as clean as possible while I'm out there. With that said I'm also the type of guy who needs something draped over me at night to fall asleep so even if it's hot as hell I can use that as a blanket. (in hostels and on hot summer nights). Also, I'm definitely getting a better pad before I start. Currently looking for a neoair xlite but can't find one for under 100 bucks. I might have to bite the bullet and just buy one but I have some time to look for a deal before I hit the trail.
    For camp shoes, if you like the design of the Crocs, look into Waldies. Same basic design but - my pair weight 9 oz. That’s for the pair.

The ones shown in this link are orange, but there are lots of color choices.

https://www.snewsnet.com/news/waldie...inal-foam-clog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 12-21-2018 at 06:40.

Default Gear Shakedown: March 3rd 2019 NOBO Start

I’ll keep quiet regarding the clothing- it’ll be cold and everyone is different, so maybe that gear will be exactly what you need. If not, mail it home.

My recommended items to delete:
    - sleeping bag liner since you’ve got plenty of clothing (9 oz)
    - probably don’t need the baselayer bottoms when hiking (6 oz). If it’s that cold wear your rain pants. If it’s even colder, tap into your sleep gear.
    - use zing it or lash it instead of paracord and save 1 oz or more.
    - probably do t need the space blanket (1oz)
    - just tear out a 100-200 mile section of the AWOL guide and mail other sections ahead. (8 oz)
    - lighter battery pack? 10oz seems heavy. I have a 10000 mah Anker power core that weighs about 6oz. (Save 4 oz)
    - lighter camp shoes? Crocs are heavy and bulky but popular. I have some Aleader water shoes (Amazon) that weigh about 10oz. (Save 4 oz).

Total savings: 25-33 oz but probably zero impact on your experience. And in all honesty, your planned 35lb loadout isn’t all that bad and is probably lighter than many others.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by globetruck; 12-21-2018 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I’ll keep quiet regarding the clothing- it’ll be cold and everyone is different, so maybe that gear will be exactly what you need. If not, mail it home.

My recommended items to delete:
    - sleeping bag liner since you’ve got plenty of clothing (9 oz)
    - probably don’t need the baselayer bottoms when hiking (6 oz). If it’s that cold wear your rain pants. If it’s even colder, tap into your sleep gear.
    - use zing it or lash it instead of paracord and save 1 oz or more.
    - probably do t need the space blanket (1oz)
    - just tear out a 100-200 mile section of the AWOL guide and mail other sections ahead. (8 oz)
    - lighter battery pack? 10oz seems heavy. I have a 10000 mah Anker power core that weighs about 6oz. (Save 4 oz)
    - lighter camp shoes? Crocs are heavy and bulky but popular. I have some Aleader water shoes (Amazon) that weigh about 10oz. (Save 4 oz).

Total savings: 25-33 oz but probably zero impact on your experience. And in all honesty, your planned 35lb loadout isn’t all that bad and is probably lighter than many others.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! Please don't "keep quiet" about my clothing what do you think? Do I have to much? To little?

As for your other suggestions,
    1. The sleeping bag liner will be one of the first things to go. I figure it might add a little warmth in the beginning and I could always use it by itself later on in hot hostels or humid nights.
    2. I'm most likely dropping a baselayer top since I have my R1 and I'll have my puffy for night time/sleeping. Probably will keep two baselayer bottoms incase one gets wet during the day. (I'm also not bringing pants, just shorts)
    3. The space blanket will also probably go. It's one of those that are sealed up nice so once I open it; it probably wont be that compact. Still it would be nice to have if someone around me needs it!
    4. I'm kind of a book nerd and don't know if I want to rip the AWOL guide in half. I plan on noting the shelters I stay and other things in the guide but then again I'm also carrying a journal so I will be journaling in that.... **** your right...
    5. I have already purchased a 10000 mah Anker battery off amazon just waiting for it to come in the mail. 10oz was just an estimate anyways.
    6. The crocs are definitely one of my luxury items. I wear them pretty frequently at home but I am looking to swap them out for something lighter. How is the breath-ability on those water shoes? One thing I like about the crocs is the ventilation and I think that will be crucial after wearing socks and shoes all day everyday. Plus they offer more protection than flip flops or sandals as an alternative camp shoe.

I still need to add some small things and drop some others. Also my tent stakes are cheap ones from walmart so I'm researching some others. Any suggestions?

Thanks again your response was extremely helpful!

Happy to help but give yourself some credit since you’re off to a good start.

Clothing: everyone is different and only you know your own comfort levels. I personally prefer more multitasking gear and a sleeping bag liner is a unitasker. Maybe leave it behind and keep the extra layer of fleece and just wear an extra layer of clothing at night when it’s cold.

Clothing II: in the summer, it’s all about having something dry to sleep in. Sweat and rain are the main challenges, so I’ll always keep a pair of running shorts and t shirt just for sleep.

In the winter, sweat isn’t that huge of a deal and it’s all about having the right number of layers to keep you warm, particularly when you stop moving for the night. I suggest you go on as many cold and even rainy day hikes to see what your comfort level is. For me in temps from about 30-55 I hike in long pants, t shirt, a light merino baselayer, and I use my smart wool neck buff for my neck and ears . I keep a fleece top and beanie handy for stops. In my pack I’ll carry my down puffy, an extra thermal top & bottoms for sleep, and I generally use my OR Helium rain pants for colder weather. In all honesty as long as I’m dry, I’ve just slept in my day clothes and never needed the long underwear unless it gets colder than about 30 or so.

If it’s below about 25, I’ll add an extra fleece top and take heavier weight (actually the mid weight versions) leggings. I don’t have much experience below 20 degrees other than a handful of nights.

Camp/water shoes: here’s what I have. I’d also look at the other thread about the “original” lightweight crocs. ALEADER Men's Pull-On Water Shoes Brown 9.5 D(M) US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D7IJ5TS..._3q5hCbC787VC2
    They’re cheap ($17), fairly light (10 oz I think) and comfortable. They are all plastic so they don’t really breathe but they are very well ventilated. They had a strong plastic chemical smell so I just let them offgas in the sun for a couple of days. They are better than crocs for water crossings (crocs tend to float away), but on the AT you don’t have any real water crossings outside of New England.

I gotta run for now. Biggest advice is for you to get out and find out what system currently works for you in colder and wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Happy to help but give yourself some credit since you’re off to a good start.

Clothing: everyone is different and only you know your own comfort levels. I personally prefer more multitasking gear and a sleeping bag liner is a unitasker. Maybe leave it behind and keep the extra layer of fleece and just wear an extra layer of clothing at night when it’s cold.

Clothing II: in the summer, it’s all about having something dry to sleep in. Sweat and rain are the main challenges, so I’ll always keep a pair of running shorts and t shirt just for sleep.

In the winter, sweat isn’t that huge of a deal and it’s all about having the right number of layers to keep you warm, particularly when you stop moving for the night. I suggest you go on as many cold and even rainy day hikes to see what your comfort level is. For me in temps from about 30-55 I hike in long pants, t shirt, a light merino baselayer, and I use my smart wool neck buff for my neck and ears . I keep a fleece top and beanie handy for stops. In my pack I’ll carry my down puffy, an extra thermal top & bottoms for sleep, and I generally use my OR Helium rain pants for colder weather. In all honesty as long as I’m dry, I’ve just slept in my day clothes and never needed the long underwear unless it gets colder than about 30 or so.

If it’s below about 25, I’ll add an extra fleece top and take heavier weight (actually the mid weight versions) leggings. I don’t have much experience below 20 degrees other than a handful of nights.

Camp/water shoes: here’s what I have. I’d also look at the other thread about the “original” lightweight crocs. ALEADER Men's Pull-On Water Shoes Brown 9.5 D(M) US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D7IJ5TS..._3q5hCbC787VC2
    They’re cheap ($17), fairly light (10 oz I think) and comfortable. They are all plastic so they don’t really breathe but they are very well ventilated. They had a strong plastic chemical smell so I just let them offgas in the sun for a couple of days. They are better than crocs for water crossings (crocs tend to float away), but on the AT you don’t have any real water crossings outside of New England.

I gotta run for now. Biggest advice is for you to get out and find out what system currently works for you in colder and wet weather.

I like your thought on "multi tasking gear." This is really making me consider dropping my bag liner and extra baselayers. I did a 5 mile hike in my town yesterday with a 20lb pack. (I live in a valley so I did roughly 1200 feet of elevation change. Nothing compared to what I'll be up against but it was a good start.) The weather was in the low 30s, with a wind chill that felt like mid 20s. (according to weather.com) I was completely fine with the clothing I had and actually had to shed some layers. The thing I'm most worried about is having my clothes get wet and not having any dry base layers to sleep in on a cold night. My plan is once the weather warms up I'll most likely drop all of my baselayers, maybe keep a pair of bottoms, and my fleece, gloves/hat and rain pants. I just wanna make sure I'm prepared for the early start.

Images

Every once in a while I get on a weight-cutting binge and leave my Waldies (the original Croc) at home. I have regretted it every single time. I've tried lighter camp shoe options, I've gone without camp shoes, and I keep coming back to the Waldies. Love 'em.

Let me gently disagree with globetruck -- for me, in the winter sweat is a huge big friggin'deal. It's really easy for me to have on too much clothing to start hiking for the day (hey, it's cold!!) then I start uphill and start sweating and soak my base layers. Then when I stop I get really cold - this can actually be dangerous. Trying to manage sweat is more important in the winter than in the summer, in my experience. In the summer I just get wet. Then I have something dry to change into at night. No big deal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

"I'm also not bringing pants, just shorts." For a Mar 3 start you'll be hiking a great deal in the beginning in thermal bottoms, rain pants(even when not raining), and shorts and may still be cold. If all that does get wet, frozen, dirty, what do you wear to sleep on your bottom half?

"The space blanket will also probably go. It's one of those that are sealed up nice so once I open it; it probably wont be that compact. Still it would be nice to have if someone around me needs it!"

You may want it as a ground sheet that contributes some reflective warmth to your sleep system at a 1.5 oz wt penalty. It might be nice to use if you're not sleeping in the Solong like in an AT shelter. 1.5 oz mylar type space blankets normally refold to a sub sized deck of playing cards. I additionally drape one over my shoulders like a shawl that adds some warmth and wind protection, sometimes under my outer layer. It's something I might use to sit on or take a nap too. I've set a space blanket up much like a tarp lean to wind and weather break as well as offering some reflective heat when set up faced in a southerly direction. At some pt in April eliminating the TR quilt liner keeping the space blanket saves you about 7 ozs and some volume. The volume of the liner you have is greater than the space blanket.

I'm noting two main insulation pieces. One is the HEAVY 14+ oz R1 jacket intended to be worn as a mid or outer layer when hiking. The other is the stopped and in camp and in your sleep MH GW 8 oz puffy. That's 22 + oz of main insulation pieces that you may wear very infrequently together. Could you find a torso layering approach and main insulation pieces that complimented each other better that maybe would see greater usage together?

"My plan is once the weather warms up I'll most likely drop all of my baselayers, maybe keep a pair of bottoms, and my fleece, gloves/hat and rain pants. I just wanna make sure I'm prepared for the early start."

Once that happens the R1 can quickly became a too heavy too warm torso piece.

My AT experience.

Freezing cold in the beginning. Was glad I had a 100w fleece + windshirt + pants to hike in.

Come warm weather. I sent home my fleece. And didnt touch my synthetic puffy for like 3 months. Deffinetly could of bumped it ahead but didn't.

In the summer, I should've kept my fleece and sent the puffy ahead.

My next hike, I want to have a fleece, wind shirt, and down puffy thats a few ounces lighter than what I have now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Did you include gloves or mittens? Extra socks on hands in a pinch. I hike with trekking poles and found my hands got cold , esp when in a cold rain. Only thing I missed was a waterproof or water resistant outer glove. Ended up with old food bags over hands which actually worked quite well.

Good luck to you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++