WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Gear Shakedown: March 3rd 2019 NOBO Start

Hello all,

Ahhh yes another shakedown post..... For those of you trying to help or for those of you who want to critique here is my current ligtherpack link. https://lighterpack.com/r/bv86pb I'm open to all comments.

The items that are stared are items I don't have yet. This is just a rough outline of gear I already own and currently plan on bringing or gear I plan on bringing but don't own. I am open to swapping out or dropping items if it helps me save on weight. I'm really worried about my starting weight as I feel it is on the heavier side. I know this weight will go down once the weather warms up and I can send half of my clothing home but I still need a ton more gear and I'm already pushing 25 lbs.

My next big purchase will be my pack. I'm looking at the ULA Ohm 2.0 as I have read it is very comfortable. The recommended max weight on their website is 30 lbs. With what I have now, I think I'll be over 30lbs once I start but will definitely shed that down once I figure out what to send home. Do you guys think it's ok to be over on the recommended weight by just a bit or should I keep looking for a different pack?

So basically I'm just looking for any advice! I've hiked quite a bit in the Adirondack high peaks but those were all day trips with a day pack on. I'm pretty new to backpacking so I'm a bit lost. I have done a few test nights walking around in my backyard and camping. So anyways... just looking for any advice. How does my gear look so far? What areas should I focus on right away? Do you see anything that I should drop immediately? Am I way over my head with my start date just under four months? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by cmarshall099; 12-11-2018 at 22:36.

I dont think you need two sets of baselayers.

March 2nd start probably will be really fricken cold consistently for a while.

I would hike in hiking pants, a t shirt, a light fleece, and have a windshirt to take the chill out.

If it started precipitating I would want rain jacket, rain pants, and rain mitts.

I'd say ditch the hiking baselayer. Wear pants and switch to shorts when the weather gets warmer. But thats just me.

You probably dont need your sleeping bag liner but only you can put a value of warmth in bed.

I find sleep socks are kinda pointless. If im going to carry another pair of socks, i want another pair of hiking socks. I have found that "sleep" socks dont really give my feet any more warmth than my hiking socks. They are cozier though. Nowadays I carry two sets of wool sock liners and hike in those. In wet/colder conditions i carry a third pair that remains my "sleep" socks. But if im heading into town and my other two socks are gross, ill hike in the third pair. If anything, a thin, comfortable, wool liner sock will wick moisture and dry faster after you put your cold waterlogged feet in them. Thicker sleep socks just absorb the moisture and make your feet cold imo. I like the REI wool liners or Injinji nuwool liners. I also hike in solely these so its a win win.

The R1 will come in handy in the beginning.

Your hat is kinda heavy. A simple 1 oz fleece or 1.5 oz wool beanie is plenty. Especially if you have other garments with hoods.

Don't forget a nice freezer ziplock to SLEEP with your filter. Gonna be hearing that one a lot.

Those little brs stoves arent as great as everyone makes them out to be. They really light for sure, but their performace kinda diminishes their weight reduction. Snow peak lite max is the cats meow for a high quality UL stove.

You could probably shave a few lbs off your kit w/o spending much money. Just a change in mindset.

Just some pointers, have fun.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Images

I had an Ohm (original, not 2.0) and it was great up to 22 pounds. With the better hip belt it ought to go to 25. I would not personally put 30 pounds in one. Would get a Circuit instead -- yeah, it's heavier but it'll carry 30-35 lbs much better.

List looks fine. You'll probably find you have too much clothing (everyone does.) But even with additional stuff your base will be less than 20 which is fine. I'd still want a Circuit, the Ohm really needs a 10-12 lb base.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'll keep going...

You can trade your Marmot Precip for a Frogg Toggs jacket. Seriously. The precip WILL be a little warmer but the Frogg Toggs does the trick and shaves 6oz off your bw. Honestly, after using a marmot precip, a marmot mica, an or helium ii, and a LHG silnylon jacket, my beat up frogg toggs still does exactly what i need it to do. Treat it with a little TLC and itll last. If it gets torn up just get another one halfway thru for $15.

Here's what you can do to get rid of some weight for free on the gear your not swapping out. If it has any extraneous stuff, cut it off. Did you remove all the extra stuff on your ula pack that your never going to use? If not, just do it. Strip it down and never look back.

I hiked the whole AT, as well as many others, without camp shoes. I also had far fewer foot problems than alot of people I saw who were carrying camp shoes. I did however get a wee bit jealous every so often. The AT is a wet trail and some camp shoes are nice. It greatly depends on the kind of hiker you are. Lots of time in camp and in town, you probably want some camp shoes.

Pocketknife could be lighter. Ive been using a 0.6oz gerber ul lst or spyderco ladybug for years. Never needed anything more. Back home i carry a 3.5oz kabar folder for comparison.

Rip awol in half, get rest later. Save 4oz.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate your help. I will definitely add rain pants. Here are some of my thoughts.

My plan was to hike in a baselayer, shorts, and rainpants for my bottom half and my baselayer, t shirt, R1, and rain jacket for my top half. Obviously mixing and matching layers as I need them. My legs and lower body usually don't get to cold its more of my upper body which i why I'm thinking about going with just shorts and not pants. But now I'm considering otherwise... Do you think a windshirt is necessary or would a rain jacket be suffice?

I like having a bag liner for extra warmth with my quilt. I plan on using just that on hot nights too. But that will be the first thing to go if I don't use it to much.

Your probably right about the sleeping socks. I think I'll ditch them and possible add another pair of darn toughs. I've never tried the sock liners but do you wear them with socks or do you just hike in the liners?

Yes I wear my R1 pretty frequently in Upstate NY. My plan is to use that with my rain jacket and keep moving to stay warm while hiking. I hope this will be enough...

I'll look into a lighter wool beanie. Any recomendations? The one listed is one I've had kicking around the house. Not the most practical but it is FREE!!

I will 100% be sleeping with my filter and carrying it close to my body while hiking on the colder days.

My stove I've tested and used a couple times and it seems to do the job. I plan on doing freezer bag cooking and only for supper so I'll only be boiling water with it. That said if it breaks I'll just pick up something else or if I see a good deal on a snow peak I may try it out.

As for shaving off a few lbs I feel my clothing is what really needs an upgrade. Everything else I feel semi confident it. Maybe a new sleeping pad too as the Kylmt seems pretty heavy and doesnt have to much R value.

I'm fairly certain ULA's specked 30 lbs Max Load includes total kit wt which isn't just base wt but consumables too. And you're at 25 lbs now with more to buy and that doesn't include water, fuel, and food wt. A good fair average daily food wt for NB LD hikers is around 1 3/4 - 2 lbs. As most though 1.5 - 2 months into your NOBO you'll be discarding wt, bulk and be more experienced in reducing unnecessary high food and water wt hauls. In the beginning, be judicious in resupplying/supplementing more often to reduce food bulk and wt and don't haul unnecessary amounts of water.

Add this to your Buff and "rain" jacket hood. It's become my favorite beanie for backpacking over the last three yrs or so. https://www.backcountrygear.com/merino-150-beanie.html NO ITCH.

My guess is you'll need more than running shorts to hike in maybe 1/2 the time in Mar going into about mid April. Here's a fair Mar and sometimes early Apr weather experience: It sleets and cold rains intermixed with ice and some snow accumulation all day long. What will you be wearing on your bottom half. Sun is now going down along with temps with winds picking up making the air temp low 20's high teens with the wind chill taking it into single digits or next to 0*. Things are frozen at lay me down to rest time. What are you wearing to sleep on your bottom half inside the EE quilt?

Luv merino tees but I'd exclude it at the Mar 3 start. I'd have a LS 1/4-1/2 zip 260 to maybe 150 wt merino as my base(NTS) layer working outwards on my torso. I bet you delete the R1 and/or the GW before that LS piece.

ZP's possum down socks or more preferably, for sleeping socks ONLY, no hiking sock including any high merino or wool content thick sock, has matched the warmth of Goosefeet down socks. For me, for winter hikes using a zipper less quilt they are mandatory. I also like a liner or bivy in winter and or with sleeping apparel to reduce drafts and losing warmth if using a quilt and not in a tent or lean to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm fairly certain ULA's specked 30 lbs Max Load includes total kit wt which isn't just base wt but consumables too. And you're at 25 lbs now with more to buy and that doesn't include water, fuel, and food wt. A good fair average daily food wt for NB LD hikers is around 1 3/4 - 2 lbs. As most though 1.5 - 2 months into your NOBO you'll be discarding wt, bulk and be more experienced in reducing unnecessary high food and water wt hauls. In the beginning, be judicious in resupplying/supplementing more often to reduce food bulk and wt and don't haul unnecessary amounts of water.
    It's not always about having to make gear changes. A gear change may not be required! i.e.; new larger pack. Often, more often than not, how one approaches their hikes has consequences on optimal use of gear. Here, reduce you consumable wt and bulk to allow for an at the start least bulkier and weightier overall kit. When warm weather stabilizes and you start deleting bulk and wt in gear pieces you'll be ahead of the game because you'll have early experiences reducing consumable bulk and wt. You'll experience a max load wt that decreases nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I had an Ohm (original, not 2.0) and it was great up to 22 pounds. With the better hip belt it ought to go to 25. I would not personally put 30 pounds in one. Would get a Circuit instead -- yeah, it's heavier but it'll carry 30-35 lbs much better.
    List looks fine. You'll probably find you have too much clothing (everyone does.) But even with additional stuff your base will be less than 20 which is fine. I'd still want a Circuit, the Ohm really needs a 10-12 lb base.
    +1 2018 Thru Hike with Ohm 2.0, Food and Water pushed weight above 30lbs. Hiking out of town after resupply was always more of a challenge. Get the Circuit and go with a smaller belt if possible. I had to switch out a Large for a Medium in Hot Springs. That made a huge difference as well.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Other things to consider:
    The Packa instead of Precip and pack cover.
    Patagonia Houdini “WindShirt” was my favorite piece of gear, especially in the Whites and Maine.
    I always used Camp Shoes at night and for river crossings as well as in town on occasion.
    I tried sock liners but didn’t care for them. Dogwood is correct, yes to sleeping socks.
    i slept with my Sawyer outside boxers but inside leggings in the cold
    Yes to Rain Pants, Buff and Beanie but also get a ball cap to hold in hiking heat.

Dont sweat any of this. You carry what YOU carry and will figure it out on the trail, changing as time and experience forge you along the trail.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Journal Entries

Most i ever had in my circuit , hiking, was 32 w/6.5L water and 5 day food.
    Ok for short time, half day, but i wouldnt say it carried well. Every step, you feel it sag and bounce on shoulders.
    I would limit circuit to 28-29 lb based on my experience.

Ohm....probably 25 as said above. My original is ok to 22-23.

You really are not in range for a light weight pack. You WILL be more comfortable with heavier conventional pack for maybe 1 lb more.

Or...get rid of some stuff
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2018 at 09:22.

I’d freeze with that sleep pad r1.3 with a quilt is to cold .

This is a good start. What temp is your EE quilt rated for?

Also I noticed there are a few items without weights added in yet, keep in mind the small things do add up.

I'm NOBO March 11, hope to see you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    In my lighterpack link I included my the weight of my almost full fuel canister and 2 lbs of food for 4 days. So I'm at 25lbs now but still need to account for water wt and all the other little pieces of gear I need. I'm looking into other packs and the circuit looks like a better option for me considering my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    This is a good start. What temp is your EE quilt rated for?

Also I noticed there are a few items without weights added in yet, keep in mind the small things do add up.

I'm NOBO March 11, hope to see you out there!
    Quilt is rated for 20 degrees. I did a twenty degree night out in it with just my puffy, baselayers, beanie, quilt and pad. I was fine in the beginning of the night but woke up pretty cold. I'm hoping that adding the bag liner, buff, some gloves and my R1 will fix that but I haven't tested out that system yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I’d freeze with that sleep pad r1.3 with a quilt is to cold .
    Yeah I tried it out once and it was pretty cold. I added a bag liner but looking into a pad with a better r value.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarshall099 View Post
    Yeah I tried it out once and it was pretty cold. I added a bag liner but looking into a pad with a better r value.
    https://sectionhiker.com/therm-a-res...ng-pad-review/

I trust his picks . I like mine.

The Thermarest Neo Air 12 oz worked great for me in Shelters. I am a Hammocker with an underquilt but still carried the Pad the entire trip after buying at the Gatlinburg Noc. I had it when I needed it! Probably one of the more common pads on the AT although a little expensive. Check it out!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    The Thermarest Neo Air 12 oz worked great for me in Shelters. I am a Hammocker with an underquilt but still carried the Pad the entire trip after buying at the Gatlinburg Noc. I had it when I needed it! Probably one of the more common pads on the AT although a little expensive. Check it out!
    After some research I definitely plan on purchasing one of these. They are pricey though so I am looking on for some sales and checking ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarshall099 View Post
    In my lighterpack link I included my the weight of my almost full fuel canister and 2 lbs of food for 4 days. So I'm at 25lbs now but still need to account for water wt and all the other little pieces of gear I need. I'm looking into other packs and the circuit looks like a better option for me considering my weight.
    I did see that. I don't get it! is that 2 lbs of food per day equalling 8 lbs or 2 lbs for teh entire 4 days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++