WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I was the assistant scout master in a Boy Scout troop my son was in. One January, we had a camp-out scheduled, and the forecast was for -20 F. I had a sleeping bag rated at that level, but none of the scouts was even close to prepared, except for my son. It was a cold night, as I went around to check on the kids repeatedly. My batteries failed, but fortunately, I had some lithiums in my stash, which go lower in temps.

Quote Originally Posted by NSHSDad View Post
    I was the assistant scout master in a Boy Scout troop my son was in. One January, we had a camp-out scheduled, and the forecast was for -20 F. I had a sleeping bag rated at that level, but none of the scouts was even close to prepared, except for my son. It was a cold night, as I went around to check on the kids repeatedly. My batteries failed, but fortunately, I had some lithiums in my stash, which go lower in temps.
    wow...I might have called that trip off. The issue with the gear that the Scouts or newbs carry (myself included back in the day) is that cheaper bags tend to be woefully overrated in their temp or comfort rating. A lower end supposed 0* bag may actually be comfortable for most users at 15* - 25*. Took me a while to learn what EN rating meant and which companies produced bags that were true to their advertised comfort ratings. And not many kids/newbs are carrying those brands.

To be clear, this is not a thinly veiled criticism at all. I congratulate you for doing that. The BSA helped get me into camping/backpacking many, many moons ago. I love to take kids on trips, although I do not do it via any "official" organization. It is imperative in this digital age that we connect youngsters to the outdoors. Thank you for doing your part.

Your post reminds me of pulling a winter backpacking trip in the mountains of TN/NC and seeing a Boy Scout troop coming up to the high ground (5,300 foot elevation) and passing thru my camp. It was cold of course and the next day a trip leader told me it got down to 1F---cold enough for me.

They were a happy bunch despite the 1F cold snap.

I watched them bail off the mountain in a blizzard.

Another time I was in the NC mountains and met another group of Scouts and watched them set up camp in a butt cold wind at around 15F. It was a struggle.

The next morning they had a hard time getting big frozen items to become small frozen items---the bane of winter backpacking is packing up all your crap---as evidenced by the boy with the giant blue tarp---it was frozen and impossible to pack---so he humped it out as shown. My dog looks on in glee.

the forecast was for -20 F. I had a sleeping bag rated at that level, but none of the scouts was even close to prepared, except for my son.
    In the 1960s my Boy Scout Troop went on a winter camping trip in Iowa. To the best of my knowledge sleeping bags were not rated back then. I'm sure my bag was wholly inadequate for the low teens temperatures that night. I finally settled in wearing all the clothing I brought with me and got warm enough to fall asleep. At 2 AM the scout master woke us up to watch the stars. Afterwards I never warmed enough to go back to sleep. I was miserable for the remainder of the trip. This was not the type of experience I would ever subject a child to. Looking back, I can see how this scenario could well have ended in tragedy. Had the temps dropped to -20 I seriously doubt that I(and others) would have survived. So much for "Be prepared".

The silver lining to the story is that I now have an acute awareness of conditions I might be facing and pack accordingly. There are better ways to learn that lesson. I don't fault scouting. I fault those particular "leaders".

My brothers and I went on many camping trips on our own and had a blast. If not for that, I probably would have no interest in the outdoors today.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    In the 1960s my Boy Scout Troop went on a winter camping trip in Iowa. To the best of my knowledge sleeping bags were not rated back then. I'm sure my bag was wholly inadequate for the low teens temperatures that night. I finally settled in wearing all the clothing I brought with me and got warm enough to fall asleep. At 2 AM the scout master woke us up to watch the stars. Afterwards I never warmed enough to go back to sleep. I was miserable for the remainder of the trip. This was not the type of experience I would ever subject a child to. Looking back, I can see how this scenario could well have ended in tragedy. Had the temps dropped to -20 I seriously doubt that I(and others) would have survived. So much for "Be prepared".

The silver lining to the story is that I now have an acute awareness of conditions I might be facing and pack accordingly. There are better ways to learn that lesson. I don't fault scouting. I fault those particular "leaders".

My brothers and I went on many camping trips on our own and had a blast. If not for that, I probably would have no interest in the outdoors today.
    When my oldest son was in HS, he and a few buddies decided to go on a last minute spring break hike in the Smokies. I was out of town on a business trip and unaware of what was taking place. Although we had plenty of time together camping on various hunting and fishing trips, he had no idea of what it was like in early March at 6,000+ ft. There trip lasted for 2 nights instead of the planned 5. He has not gone on another trip since.

Every year that I am on the trail, I see families out on trips.Even in mild or pleasant weather, they are carrying the wrong stuff and/or too much of it. It is more difficult than anticipated. I wonder how many people are turned off of hiking/camping/backpacking due to bad experiences on their first trip?

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    When my oldest son was in HS, he and a few buddies decided to go on a last minute spring break hike in the Smokies. I was out of town on a business trip and unaware of what was taking place. Although we had plenty of time together camping on various hunting and fishing trips, he had no idea of what it was like in early March at 6,000+ ft. There trip lasted for 2 nights instead of the planned 5. He has not gone on another trip since.

Every year that I am on the trail, I see families out on trips.Even in mild or pleasant weather, they are carrying the wrong stuff and/or too much of it. It is more difficult than anticipated. I wonder how many people are turned off of hiking/camping/backpacking due to bad experiences on their first trip?
    My first backpacking trip was a 9 mile trek with Cub Scouts in Oklahoma in 1958 and we played flashlight wars. I used an old canvas Yucca pack. It was a long mileage day for a kid but a great experience otherwise.

When I moved to Texas in 1962 I joined the local Boy Scout troop and was initiated with a "belt line" whereby all the scouts stood in a line with their legs spread apart so I had to crawl thru while getting whipped with belts. That was the end of my Boy Scout career. Did I have a bad experience on my first trip? Hell no, I had a bad experience just trying to get Tenderfoot. I think the Scout leader was a retired Marine just back from the frozen hills of North Korea.

Totally depends on whether I'm camping or hiking. Hiking I pretty much stick to a minimum of 0*. Camping is a whole other subject. If I'm just out camping or car camping for relaxing in the woods I've been out as low as -21*f at night. At those temps it's just too much equipment to backpack and still be comfortable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++