WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PT Thru Hike Info

I only recently learned of the Palmetto Trail and now think it would be a great winter thru hike. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time getting comprehensive info on water sources, resupply town options, road walk options, etc. The only guide I have located is offered by a hiker named Scot Ward. The guide may be out of date. Actually, the website may be out of date, as my query to it went unanswered. Anyone out there have a guide of some sort that could be used to thru hike the PT?

if you're looking for a better beta supported winter hike of 400-500 miles without the greatest nastiest of weather higher elev Appalachian Mts extremes the MST between the ocean, segment 18, and segment 6, maybe 5 is more continuous and available than the PT. Starting a WEBO MST thru in late winter/early spring is doable for most carefully adjusting start times based on pace and when expecting to hit the higher elev western segments. With logistical forethought one can include trail MB/gravel bike riding and paddling into a MST LD hike.

The other PT the Pinhoti Tr thru AL is a winter hike. So is the Foothills Tr with a decent weather window. I often do an extended FHT thru of about 110-120 miles in Dec or Feb. I have the trail to myself and can add in a lot more milage if desired easily knocking down a 14 day winter trip. The Bartram Tr with ample opps to extend it with loops and out and backs is another possible winter hike to incorporate into a larger longer trip. Same goes for the BMT. Get away from limiting yourself to end to end named XYZ trail hiking and the options become widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando12 View Post
    I only recently learned of the Palmetto Trail and now think it would be a great winter thru hike. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time getting comprehensive info on water sources, resupply town options, road walk options, etc. The only guide I have located is offered by a hiker named Scot Ward. The guide may be out of date. Actually, the website may be out of date, as my query to it went unanswered. Anyone out there have a guide of some sort that could be used to thru hike the PT?
    I can't help you on this, obviously Dog couldn't either, but I would say purchase his book and give the route a shot. What do you have to lose? It could be a bit outdated but you could compare his data with information from this website https://palmettoconservation.org/palmetto-trail/ . Put together I'm sure you could make it happen. Give a good trip report upon completion.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The Palmetto Tr is a work in progress if you're seeking single track. There are road walks just like the GA section of the Pinhoti Tr and some road walks on the MST but with alternates. I can't verify how up to date all of Taba's 2012 PT guide resupply, USPO, and water beta currently is but I'd guesstimate it has some relevance in those aspects. The mileage pts are likely off so if you need to always know that....??? BUT I thought Scot made an announcement that he was updating his PT guide in 2018!!!! If not yet available I'd fill in the blanks by reviewing PT thru hike and section journals cross referencing these sources with the PT Associations trail maps enlarging the topo area to note resupply pts and obviously NOTED water supply locations and water beta. Have you looked at the PT topo maps at the PTA site? The PTA does that for you to some degree when you click on the different passages. It's not that overwhelming in that you're looking at a 400-500 mile hike with what maybe 5 or 6 resupplies. And, you said you anticipate a winter hike so water requirements will be a bit less than a hot season hike. As so often stated HYOH. That sometimes means planning and researching more yourself rather than reading it all conveniently out of guidebook engaging in a cookie cutter experience.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...Palmetto-Trail

TABA posts on WB. Send him a PM.

++ New Posts ++