WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a 123R with the jet cleaning needle.Have not used it much since going to alcohol(Starlyte) stove but there's no way I could think of parting with it.I did learn one evening that you Really do not want to overpump that thing if you have the pump adaptor.LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Well yeah, unless you count being a nuisance and dangerous(ish) to prime, or deafening to listen to, or heavy compared to other modern alternatives, or not good in high winds without an auxiliary windscreen which then dramatically increases the danger of overheating, or requires maintenance that modern canister stoves do not, or requires pouring of fuel and associated risk of fuel spills . . . I'm sure others can remember a few more failings of this iconic stove.

Let's not wax to poetic about this highly functional, but far from perfect stove. There are many good reasons it is no longer the market leader it was generations ago. There is a reason that my SVEA stove sits on my shelf unused along with my MSR XGK that replaced the SVEA in my pack in about 1979. They both still work. They both hold a place close to my heart in my memories. BUT, I haven't used either in decades because of the many better options for my use these days.

Now days I like stoves that are lighter, easer, cleaner, smaller, safer, more reliable and/or quieter.

There is no doubt that lots of old technology worked well and continues to work as well as ever. And, there is no doubt that we get obsessed with having the latest and greatest which isn't always better than the old and cherished gear. BUT, why (other than posterity, which is a damn good reason) would anyone choose to spend $75 on an old Svea stove now when there so many less expensive, modern "stoves that are lighter, easer, cleaner, smaller, safer, more reliable and/or quieter."

Along these lines, I've got an old scratchy felted wood blanket for sale, probably from my dad's days in the 10th Mountain Division during WWII . . . no even the army was more modern then, they used down sleeping bags with a light cotton outer fabric. ;-)
    APOSTATE! Shame on you!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Sorry but another hiker's sense of nostagia has no tangible value.
    Better to put $75 towards good new equipment, IMO. And I was a Svea user on the AT in 1974, but I sure like the new canister stoves for lack of any trouble whatsoever.

Images

I'll admit to getting an MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove but it's not for winter camping which I do mostly. My first Svea lasted 26 years w/o any maintenance and had about 4000 backpacking miles on it. I didn't have a problem with getting a near simmer mode but just touch it and back to after burner mode. Some guy at the UK stove collector website had a fix for priming issues. Put a small piece of fiberglass wood stove gasket material around the base of the generator in the priming recess bowl. Tie off with a small piece of wire. Helps with priming and seems to help run better in really cold weather greatly reducing flare ups. Here's mine in use. IMG_3804.JPGIMG_0469.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Sorry but another hiker's sense of nostagia has no tangible value.
    Better to put $75 towards good new equipment, IMO. And I was a Svea user on the AT in 1974, but I sure like the new canister stoves for lack of any trouble whatsoever.
    Yup, it is old and new products are much easier to use. However, I like to use it sometimes just like I enjoy driving my 66 Corvette. The Corvette doesn't have lane departure warning, cruise control, XM radio, etc. but it sure is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Yup, it is old and new products are much easier to use. However, I like to use it sometimes just like I enjoy driving my 66 Corvette. The Corvette doesn't have lane departure warning, cruise control, XM radio, etc. but it sure is fun to drive.
    And that sums it up beautifully. Thank you.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++