WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    I do not know and may have missed it but which is sturdier free or non free standing.
    There is no such thing as a free standing tent.
    Try not staking one down in wind, and then see what happens.

Whats called free standing, is self supporting . But all tents still need to be staked down and /or guyed out in wind.

Generally, more, thicker poles and thicker material will result in sturdier tent. Its a tradeoff in weight vs vs performance. Pretty important when you carry it with you everyday though.

Unless camping exposed in high winds, or snow loads, not much concern.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2018 at 09:35.

Leonidas

I own and use the SMD Lunar Solo LE and the Lunar Duo Explorer. Neither have had condensation issues nor are difficult to setup. The only thing about them that makes me want to move to something else is the weight.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    I do not know and may have missed it but which is sturdier free or non free standing.
    It depends. Lots of variables. A Hilleberg Black Label non-freestanding tent, properly secured will be sturdier than an inferior freestanding tent.
    Neither can be left alone without staking, anchoring, or otherwise securing in place.
    Wayne

On my thru hike of the A.T. this year I used the Lunar Solo LE.The trekking pole goes on the outside of the tent.Never needed anyone to help me set up the tent.Had only a few times where condensation was an issue. It was no problem getting the proper pitch.Was able to store all of my gear including my pack inside the tent.Overall it is a great tent at a reasonable price.

Images

Back when I was looking for a solo tent, some guy came on here and asked why I wanted to sleep on the ground? Hmmpf, I said at first, but been hanging now for over 10 yrs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++