WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I have a Dutch Shepherd that is close to Mal. He has a ton of energy and likes to take off exploring. They have a huge herding instinct and I've caught him trying to herd hikers on the trail. He also likes to take off and explore, sometimes coming back after a couple of hours. They are great dogs. I would wait until he's a little older before starting any extended hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    I have a Dutch Shepherd that is close to Mal. He has a ton of energy and likes to take off exploring. They have a huge herding instinct and I've caught him trying to herd hikers on the trail. He also likes to take off and explore, sometimes coming back after a couple of hours. They are great dogs. I would wait until he's a little older before starting any extended hiking.
    That’s the plan! My down and cuben would be no match for his puppy teeth!!!! I’m not taking him till he’s got total recall etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is your pup doing?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    How is your pup doing?
    Doing great for 4.5 months except now he has kennel cough so can’t really exercise much or go to his classes so he’s got cabin fever aka destroying my house!!!

Pretty dog. I have a 6 yo Mal that is trained and certified as a FEMA search dog. I wish I could take him on the AT but I think he would be too disruptive to others in camp ( I could solo stealth camp.) Aside from the high energy and drive, they are always in working mode and I think every time he heard a noise he would be up trying to check it out. That and he eats like a horse. His food would weigh more than mine (though he could carry some of it.

Hard to believe that sweet little face is capable of so much destruction if not channeled properly. I think there is a common Mal owner saying "and that's why we don't have nice things....". I'm sure you know about their developing skeletons and joints. They are willing to do a lot more than their body can handle up to a 12-18 months. You have to be the brains for these guys early on if you want them to be active in their golden years. Definitely not a recommended first dog for anyone but they are a special kind of dog if you can handle them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Femadog View Post
    Pretty dog. I have a 6 yo Mal that is trained and certified as a FEMA search dog. I wish I could take him on the AT but I think he would be too disruptive to others in camp ( I could solo stealth camp.) Aside from the high energy and drive, they are always in working mode and I think every time he heard a noise he would be up trying to check it out. That and he eats like a horse. His food would weigh more than mine (though he could carry some of it.

Hard to believe that sweet little face is capable of so much destruction if not channeled properly. I think there is a common Mal owner saying "and that's why we don't have nice things....". I'm sure you know about their developing skeletons and joints. They are willing to do a lot more than their body can handle up to a 12-18 months. You have to be the brains for these guys early on if you want them to be active in their golden years. Definitely not a recommended first dog for anyone but they are a special kind of dog if you can handle them. Good luck.
    Thanks...he’s definitely a handful! Like my jrt but much larger, already 50 lbs! I plan to start in search and rescue training or protection work. We’re currently going to general obedience training a few times per week as I really want his recall to be solid. I was reading earlier about a girl who thru hiked cdt with two Mali’s...crazy. I see him being a great trail dog as he matures....I’ll definitely be using dehydrated dog food on trail...3 cups per day is heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Femadog View Post

He’s now 7 months just took our first tracking course...very interesting and plan to keep it up.
    we flew out to Idaho recently to help my sister, loves to hike in the snow and swims faster than any lab or golden I’ve had!!! Looking forward to many adventures with this lunatic!!

Journal Entries

Handsome dog, Salty!

I have worked in search and rescue for a long time. I suggest cadaver training for this breed. For trailing, floppy ears only. Bloodhounds.

Oh and my bloodhound makes a great trail partner. Mals often are aggressive toward strangers, other animals, and wildlife so be very careful with this powerful breed on a trail. Solo hiking where you will not meet many people is a great place for you and your pup to bond. Many people will overreact with fear because of what they have seen on TV.

IMG_0214 1.JPGThis is Sam and I just before he certified with the Tennessee Department of Corrections for mantrailing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++