WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Finish the Art Loeb about just after noon today, snowshoed a lot of the way, icy crust on top of snow today, in Brevard now for hot food. We had a blast!
    Quick, did you finish at the Boy Scout camp? If so, I'm curious if you were able to follow all those switchbacks down the mountain. I'm guessing they were hard to see...

Finish the Art Loeb about just after noon today, snowshoed a lot of the way, icy crust on top of snow today, in Brevard now for hot food. We had a blast!
    Nice!!! I’m hoping to do ALT start December 27 if weather improves.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best friend lives in Brevard, NC. He sent me videos of 20"+ of snow from this weekend. We were suppose to go visit him but I called it off due to the snow. We would have been stuck there for several days where he lives.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    what's the over/under on a report from Tipi?
    Looking forward to his butt-cold trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Quick, did you finish at the Boy Scout camp? If so, I'm curious if you were able to follow all those switchbacks down the mountain. I'm guessing they were hard to see...
    PatmanTN we started there, didn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    My best friend lives in Brevard, NC. He sent me videos of 20"+ of snow from this weekend. We were suppose to go visit him but I called it off due to the snow. We would have been stuck there for several days where he lives.
    I don't know what kind of snow fall this area gets on average, but they got it this time. We really enjoyed the trail and water wasn't a problem, just melted snow at night and caught it off our tarp. Some of the drifts were deep and glad we decided to take the snowshoes, wind made it tough in the open. We decided to stay over in Brevard tonight, both of us were beat from slow going snowshoeing.

PatmanTN we started there, didn't have any problems.

I don't know what kind of snow fall this area gets on average, but they got it this time. We really enjoyed the trail and water wasn't a problem, just melted snow at night and caught it off our tarp. Some of the drifts were deep and glad we decided to take the snowshoes, wind made it tough in the open. We decided to stay over in Brevard tonight, both of us were beat from slow going snowshoeing.
    I hope it clears up in a few weeks...us Florida boys ain’t got snow shoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I hope it clears up in a few weeks...us Florida boys ain’t got snow shoes!!!

hahaha...yeah that would have been a problem this weekend.

hahaha...yeah that would have been a problem this weekend.
    Personally I would love to get out in a Tipi winter hell-storm and test out my duomid and quilt layering system..

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Personally I would love to get out in a Tipi winter hell-storm and test out my duomid and quilt layering system..

nice shelter you have, I mostly use a Solomid, on this trip we shared my Supermid

Images

And winter doesn't officially start until the 21st. What happened to the shoulder seasons?

It was hot then we had week of balmy weather now it's cold. Seems as if the opposite happened in April. One week of spring like weather then hot.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    And winter doesn't officially start until the 21st. What happened to the shoulder seasons?

It was hot then we had week of balmy weather now it's cold. Seems as if the opposite happened in April. One week of spring like weather then hot.
    There is no average
    Its all highly variable

As a kid growing up in florida
    I remember winter where never got under 40f
    And a christmas eve that was 10F

Im just glad we got a real winter going it seems

On my list of complaints....seems like its been raining for months, with only slight pause

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There is no average
    Its all highly variable
    Of course there's an average. Just because the variance may be high doesn't mean there's not an average.

It would be more accurate to say that for planning purposes, the average isn't very useful by itself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Of course there's an average. Just because the variance may be high doesn't mean there's not an average.

It would be more accurate to say that for planning purposes, the average isn't very useful by itself.

Averages.....are a numerical calculation.
    Not necessarily represented by any actual data in a distribution. Which is why there are many types of other constructs, mode, weighted averages, dispersity indexes, etc used to attempt to describe distributions better than a simple average.

If two people have four apples, and two people have two apples, the average is 3. But nobody actually has three apples. What does the average tell you? Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    And winter doesn't officially start until the 21st.
    Winter is just getting in some good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Averages.....are a numerical calculation.
    Not necessarily represented by any actual data in a distribution. Which is why there are many types of other constructs, mode, weighted averages, dispersity indexes, etc used to attempt to describe distributions better than a simple average.

If two people have four apples, and two people have two apples, the average is 3. But nobody actually has three apples. What does the average tell you? Not much.
    A population of 4 is not statistically significant, and other constructs on a population of 4 are no more telling than the average.

Who would have thought that White Blaze would be providing a refresher from Stats class.

Maybe next week we can do Calculus, I have used that stuff in 35 years.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++