WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I used to be no-hood guy until recently. Like the OP, I wore a hoodless jacket and fleece or wool watchcap. I was always able to stay warm enough.

But I was never cozy.

I've recently switched to using hoods and it's made a world of difference for me. Not only am I actually able to achieve feeling snuggled/cozy like I never quite did with gap between the hood and collar, but I've found that the weight-to-warmth ratio of a hood is much better. It's not just that a hood covers your neck, it's that it funnels all the body heat escaping from your collar up around your head, instead of just, you know, out into the woods.

I am from South Florida, so staying warm is very important to me. Have worn hoodies probably all my life, and definitely do walking around the neighborhood. As for hiking I just wear wool fleece with out a hood, but I do have a beanie and hoods on all my jackets. Even just recently bought my first down jacket from MyTrail with a hood. Have not hiked with it yet, but was glad to have the hood over my beanie at some football games this fall.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I am from South Florida, so staying warm is very important to me. Have worn hoodies probably all my life, and definitely do walking around the neighborhood. As for hiking I just wear wool fleece with out a hood, but I do have a beanie and hoods on all my jackets. Even just recently bought my first down jacket from MyTrail with a hood. Have not hiked with it yet, but was glad to have the hood over my beanie at some football games this fall.
    Hey, I'm also from South Florida originally! I hope you were rooting for the Dolphins.

As a hearing-aid wearer, I’m much bothered by the guttering of wind in my hearing aids. A hood even worn loosely does a great job of cutting down on wind noise. Though I have many hats, very few of them reach low enough over my ears to protect my hearing aids from wind. A hoodie does protect from wind.
    My winter favourite is a Pangnirtung knitted woolen toque with its long-tasseled pom-pom that lifts the loose hood and keeps it stable.
    I bought my first hoodie when I was 65. I had my daughter design a similar hood into the fleece jacket she sewed for me. It’s my favourite outer garment below 10°C / 50°F, right down to our lows of -30°C we occasionally get here in Southern Ontario. The hood has become a key component of that beloved jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    Hey, I'm also from South Florida originally! I hope you were rooting for the Dolphins.
    I was back in the early 70s.
    Haven't watched an NFL game in probably getting close to 40 years.

I was back in the early 70s.
    Haven't watched an NFL game in probably getting close to 40 years.
    Well, as far as the Dolphins go, you haven't missed much since the 70's ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    Well, as far as the Dolphins go, you haven't missed much since the 70's ...
    I assume the old guys from the 17-0 perfect team still pop the champagne when the last team loses their first game. I always thought that was a sort of neat tradition.

The only time I consider a hoody is when I'm not carrying a shell...which isn't that often on multi day backpacking trips. When I am using a hoody I basically want a hooded jacket or shirt with full frontal zip, preferably 2 way. I run in such a LS 150 Smartwool PhD Light 1/4 zip hoody during shoulder seasons and winter in northern GA and NJ. If I'm mid elev peak bagging in milder weather and on dun in a long long day deals or overnight runs I'll sometimes grab that med light hoody. I will pair a very light synthetic low profile vest with a light - med wt NTS hoody with the zip and accessorizing extremities(gloves, beanie, merino socks,etc) as a backpacker above tree line or hikes tending to regular big elevational changes when I know the weather permits it. Overall I prefer the non hooded LS merino 1/4 zip 150 -250 wt shirts by IB, SW, and Ibex with a Smartwool NTS beanie over the hoody especially for backpacking where I'm carrying a hooded shell. This non hooded LS 1/4 zip merino category for NTS, mid, or even outer layer is virtually always a part of my apparel every backpacking trip.

I assume the old guys from the 17-0 perfect team still pop the champagne when the last team loses their first game. I always thought that was a sort of neat tradition.
    We sure do! (Well, beer usually, but yeah.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Overall I prefer the non hooded LS merino 1/4 zip 150 -250 wt shirts by IB, SW, and Ibex
    I love my Ibex shirts, but apparently they've gone out of business, at least for now. Sad, they've been my favorite merino garments by far.

Have ZERO use for a hood, I wont buy any type of garment that has a non detachable hood. AND the first thing I do is detach the hood and trash it. Have just always worn hats of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    The advantage I see in going non-hoodie is the flexibility of adding and subtracting components based on need.
    Am I missing something here? Is it time I experienced the wonder of hoodies?
    I drank the Patagonia thermal weight capilene hoody kool aid and love it and it goes on most of my trips. Here's a pic from my last trip---

Trip 209 (101)-XL.jpg
    It offers several advantages---
    ** You can leave camp in cold temps with just a baseball cap under the hood for warm and then pull off the hood and unzip the long neck zip for ventilation.
    ** In real cold you can wear a turtle fur style fleece hat under the hood for warmth.
    ** You can sleep in the Patagonia with the hood over your fleece hat and the hat stays on thru the night.
    ** You can enjoy the neato thumb-loops which bring the sleeves down to act as half-gloves. Use them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The OP’s question is about a FLEECE HOODIE.
    Even after passing a couple items to my grandkids, I still own too many fleece garments. If that’s possible? None have hoods.
    I reserve hoods for dedicated rain/cold weather outer jackets and parkas.
    Wayne
    I see Capilene as being Fleece so no problem.

Images

Yep, hoodies are so versatile, and are great for instant thermal control.

Better yet is a 1/4 zip hoodie, which I suppose most are anyway.

Cold hiking? All zipped up, sleeves down, hood up, nice and warm blocking heat loss in a lot of places.

Getting a lot warmer? Zipper down, hood down, sleeve bunched up, it's way cooler (temp wise...), allowing excess heat to escape from head, neck and wrists.

Wearing a baseball-type cap when hiking and it gets windy? Flip up the hood to hold the cap on.

Lastly, when using quilts (instead of a traditional bag), a hoodie with the hood up is more comfortable for head warmth while sleeping then wearing a cap, which in my case, always works it's way off during the night. A hood stays put.

I just returned from a 2 week trip in the desert southwest (mostly grand canyon), basically wore my hoodie essentially 100% of the time. Yeah, it stinks.

One of my favorite all time pieces of gear was a half zip, gortex anorak with a hood circa 1981. That think saved my ass more times than I can remember.

Hood and kangaroo pocket.

thom

Strangely, I find this topic interesting as I see both sides of the coin. A hoodie may be a tad more combined weight to carry rather than the fleece hat and fleece jacket, not as versatile if you wanted just the hat with something else, and sometimes the hoods obscure your peripheral vision. Versus the increased warmth of a combined fleece hood covering the neck, can’t forget and lose the hood somewhere unlike a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You are hiking in crocs? That is awesome!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Hoodies collect snow and rain. I prefer a balaclava from my pocket as needed.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    You are hiking in crocs? That is awesome!
    I left camp in crocs because just a couple hundreds yards further I had to cross this creek---

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I left camp in crocs because just a couple hundreds yards further I had to cross this creek---

That is a great pic, sorry, back to hoodies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++