WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Once we dropped out of the very chill winds atop Bear Mtn, NY, I shed my outer layer...a poly puffy...and trapped it under the brain of my daypack. When we reached the next ridgeline after a scramble or two, the wind picked up again. I stopped and turned to Lu to tell her I'd have to layer up again, discovering she'd been carrying my coat for a while when it fell from my pack. That would have been a quite uncomfortable lesson learned! Next time I put it fully in the pack and closed it up tight.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

2012 I was camped on the AT Approach Trail, first time to hike/camp/wear a pack....totally green. 5 hours later (and only 3 miles further) I realized I had left all of my food, in a BV450, hanging in a tree.
    --Snowflake

Growing older usually is accompanied by becoming more clever, usually due to bad things that had happened we can learn from.

When I re-started hiking a few years ago, I bought a nice lightweight backpack (Lightwave) and tent (MST Hubba Hubba NX).
    The tent poles are of a bulk that makes it reasonable to carry them strapped to the outside.
    Didn't trust the flimsy MSR poles bag and sewed one of my own.

So I was hiking in rainy conditions and right after a short lunch break under a tree got going again.
    Just out of pure luck I heard a low "thump" behind me. Looked back, the poles bag was laying on the ground.
    It had slipped off the outside straps of the pack, that went loose whan I unpacked for lunch and didn't re-tighten when packing up again.

So now I've added a loop of chord to the poles bag and a tiny biner, to always secure the bag to the pack.

Thanks for the narrative, it's the little things that trip me up, at times.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++