WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    yes? I think you are trying to make a point that thru hikers contribute to sustaining business? Meh, I would debate that. I have never seen a thru hiker pay for a ride. Or buy gear from an outfitter(I understand that this does happen) but not enough that it keeps their doors open. Hostels - Yes, thru hikers pay for hostels when they do not do work for stay. But I would say that section hikers, used for semantics, are a much larger contributor of funds than the average thru hiker. After all, I would say that most thru hikers come TO the trail with a very large quantity of what they need, as in they are not buying new items to replace what they brought.....I digress...
    Thread back on topic.
    This is a silly virtue signalling debate. Thru-hikers are no more or no less virtuous/useful to society than, occasional hikers, section hikers, weekend hikers, or non hikers for that matter.

Try to be a decent human, according to your own standards, no matter where you are... or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If I could find someone to make me a set of custom double winter hiking boots I would probably write the check. All the European double plastic boots are one width which is typically narrow. That doesn't work well with size 13 EEEE feet. I am not really thrilled with the boot fitters standard recommendation to just go up a couple of sizes to get the width as then my toes end up way back from the front crampon points and my heel ends up real loose. As it is trying to get the boots to fit the binding on my snowshoes is difficult. I actually has to make a set of bindings for my now retired Scarpas.
    My Symbioz Elite snowshoes have a pretty generous width adjustment feature. Maybe not THAT generous, but might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Valid point, because if you don't spend it, they get it!
    Uh, not quite.
    Please take this in the humorous spirit intended.

<Manitowoc Minute>

Oh my gosh!

If it's really dat hard to spend your RMD money, even on friends and family, you can donate it to charity tax-free.

Keep 'er movin'

Go Packers and .... ______ da Bears.
    </Manitowoc Minute>

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    We hikers do contribute to society by sustaining all kind of businesses that otherwise would not survive; hostels, shuttles, outfitters, etc.
    I shutter to think how much money I've spent on gear over the years. Got a closet full of packs, sleeping bags and a big pile of worn out boots.

What do I want and will never by? A cuben fiber tent and rain suit.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I shutter to think how much money I've spent on gear over the years. Got a closet full of packs, sleeping bags and a big pile of worn out boots.

What do I want and will never by? A cuben fiber tent and rain suit.
    Get ya one
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Uh, not quite.
    Please take this in the humorous spirit intended.

<Manitowoc Minute>

Oh my gosh!

If it's really dat hard to spend your RMD money, even on friends and family, you can donate it to charity tax-free.

Keep 'er movin'

Go Packers and .... ______ da Bears.
    </Manitowoc Minute>
    I tried hard to find the humor, and couldn't...

Go Bears!

Clarifying what I stated above...If the IRS decides you need to be drawing from an IRA etc, and for some reason you don't (like maybe you didn't know there was a penalty for this) then it would be too late come tax time to give it away (I am not an accountant or advisor of finance, just going off family experience)

My item would be a MLD DCF Supermid with DCF innernet, CF pole and zipper care for 1275.00 plus tax.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

...a Sherpa (or it's robotic equivalent, because I know you really can't buy a Sherpa so don't be hatin' on me)

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

A trip to the summit of Everest.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Contradiction: How can you WISH for something that you will NEVER buy? If you wish for something, and you can afford it, then you can buy it. I you wish for something, and you cannot afford it, then you cannot buy it. But if you will NEVER buy something, what does it mean you wish for it? Please explain.

Don't children "wish" for presents that they may never receive?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Contradiction: How can you WISH for something that you will NEVER buy? If you wish for something, and you can afford it, then you can buy it. I you wish for something, and you cannot afford it, then you cannot buy it. But if you will NEVER buy something, what does it mean you wish for it? Please explain.
    "I wish I had a Lamborghini" - I can not afford a lambo.
    "I wish all my hiking crap was Dyneema" - I can afford dyneema crap but I can not justify it.

The result is the same. I don't have a lambo and I don't have all dyneema crap. The I WISH is the same TOO.

Thread back on track >>
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I do not put things on my list that I would never buy
    Let me go

a tent that costs over $600

also a 0 degree bag.

2 years ago, I would've said "trekking poles" but then I hiked in the (very steep) Montenegro and Albania and had to find sticks to help me up some of the hills, it was THAT steep!
    So, I bought a set.
    Took them to Taiwan (which is also very very steep!) and tried using them.
    On the 2nd day, I tripped over one and it bent.
    Now it won't go into it's sleeve all the way and I can no longer fit it reliably on my pack.
    So, into the closest they go, and I'll go back to saying: "I'll never use trekking poles again"
    I do believe they are a crutch most of the time and get in the way.
    But they do have uses, especially very steep uphills, jumping small creeks, fording rivers, and keeping dogs at bay.
    But for hiking on level or slight grades: No thanks, i'll use my balance and tone those skills.

What else would I never buy: camp chairs (at least for hiking, they can be useful at the beach)
    Heavy boots, $50+ titanium cookpots, MSR whisperlight stove, etc (I'm sure there's more)
    I'm pretty happy with my gear now although a roomier yet lightweight tent is maybe in the cards once they invent one I like. (use a tarptent now but bugs and insects can be a problem)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Titanium flask.
    Eiderdown sleeping bag.
    Cuben pyramid tent.
    GI Joe with the Kung ... Ok I don't want that anymore.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I tried hard to find the humor, and couldn't...

Go Bears!

Clarifying what I stated above...If the IRS decides you need to be drawing from an IRA etc, and for some reason you don't (like maybe you didn't know there was a penalty for this) then it would be too late come tax time to give it away (I am not an accountant or advisor of finance, just going off family experience)
    Check out the Manitowoc Minute on youtube. Maybe you'll find the humor in the original form. Since you're listed as being from there I thought you might know about it and the catchphrases and so forth.

But yes, I'm familiar with the IRS rules on RMDs. You just have to take it. You don't have to spend it ... it can go in your bank account, or give to a friend/relative. And you can arrange to give it to charity. Someone at my wife's church has arranged her annual giving to the church to take advantage of this. So the cost of her "offering" is less than if it was with after-tax money, or she can give more since it's not taxed. Tying it back to hiking, I'm sure there are hiking-related charities for which this could be done. Perhaps the ATC.

And tying back to the original thread ... IDK. There aren't really items on my wish list that I'll never buy. It's not a money thing, it's more a moneys-worth thing, and it's often difficult to figure out of a particular item is worth getting. The pros and cons (of the item itself, and vs. other possible options already in the gear closet) often are in such balance as to make the buying decision vexing.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    A trip to the summit of Everest.
    Reading Krakauer's Into Thin Air cured me of that daydream. It went from "That would be amazing, but probably well beyond any fitness level I could reach" to "That actually sounds miserable, I don't want to do it even if I could."

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Reading Krakauer's Into Thin Air cured me of that daydream. It went from "That would be amazing, but probably well beyond any fitness level I could reach" to "That actually sounds miserable, I don't want to do it even if I could."
    I agree with this, that's why Denali is a much more reasonable goal. Still gonna be hard, but more doable than Everest.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

A prostitute....
    Be Prepared

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++