WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Whats on your wish list that you will never buy?

I would have to say for me would be a cottage company down jacket. The price point versus the abuse it takes - i cant value the price.

From another perspective a thru hike. I cant value the time spent away from the real world of contibuting to society. (However when I retire, I will have a goal of 1000 miles per year as a trip estimation.).

Just wanted to give two perspectives of a “wish list” for the topic
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

One of those incredibly warm and impossibly expensive sleeping bags....oh wait, got one!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Winter boots that really work in all conditions on extended trips, without being unreasonably heavy, clunky, and uncomfortable. When somebody makes them, I'm buying.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Goose down camp booties, lol

Journal Entries

Never....say.....never

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Never....say.....never
    Yep. I bought stupid expensive snowshoes this year, after years of thinking "I'll never winter hike enough to justify the cost."

Next on my "never" list is one of those stupid expensive lightweight down sleeping bags, because I can cope with the cheaper version I have.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I would have to say for me would be a cottage company down jacket. The price point versus the abuse it takes - i cant value the price.

From another perspective a thru hike. I cant value the time spent away from the real world of contibuting to society. (However when I retire, I will have a goal of 1000 miles per year as a trip estimation.).

Just wanted to give two perspectives of a “wish list” for the topic
    I appreciate that at the age of 30 you're more concerned about contributing to society than thru hiking. After 30 more years of contribution, you'll have earned some time off for a thru if you want it!

I don't think there is anything I will "never" buy, just things I don't see or have a need for now. I used to laugh at a guy who had down pants... now I really want a pair and am just waiting to buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I appreciate that at the age of 30 you're more concerned about contributing to society than thru hiking. After 30 more years of contribution, you'll have earned some time off for a thru if you want it!
    This post bums me out so much. But LYOL.

Gov't permission to thru hike the Great Wall of China.

Thru hiking and contributing to society are not mutually exclusive goals.

A Keith Titanium Multifunctional Cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Goose down camp booties, lol
    You can make your own out of a cheap Costco down throw! It’s on my list of things to do.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...Thru hiking and contributing to society are not mutually exclusive goals.
    Excellent thought! When I hike into town and people tell me they hope to do what I'm doing someday, I feel that my job is to provide the dreams.
    Back on topic, pretty much anything made of cuben. Silnylon's good enough for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    And when you're 65 you'll reach the conclusion that your 401(k) ain't gunna spend itself.

And at 70.5 the gummint makes you spend it!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    And when you're 65 you'll reach the conclusion that your 401(k) ain't gunna spend itself.

And at 70.5 the gummint makes you spend it!
    Valid point, because if you don't spend it, they get it!

We hikers do contribute to society by sustaining all kind of businesses that otherwise would not survive; hostels, shuttles, outfitters, etc.

Rab event tent..... but that might change the older I get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    We hikers do contribute to society by sustaining all kind of businesses that otherwise would not survive; hostels, shuttles, outfitters, etc.
    yes? I think you are trying to make a point that thru hikers contribute to sustaining business? Meh, I would debate that. I have never seen a thru hiker pay for a ride. Or buy gear from an outfitter(I understand that this does happen) but not enough that it keeps their doors open. Hostels - Yes, thru hikers pay for hostels when they do not do work for stay. But I would say that section hikers, used for semantics, are a much larger contributor of funds than the average thru hiker. After all, I would say that most thru hikers come TO the trail with a very large quantity of what they need, as in they are not buying new items to replace what they brought.....I digress...

Thread back on topic.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

If I could find someone to make me a set of custom double winter hiking boots I would probably write the check. All the European double plastic boots are one width which is typically narrow. That doesn't work well with size 13 EEEE feet. I am not really thrilled with the boot fitters standard recommendation to just go up a couple of sizes to get the width as then my toes end up way back from the front crampon points and my heel ends up real loose. As it is trying to get the boots to fit the binding on my snowshoes is difficult. I actually has to make a set of bindings for my now retired Scarpas.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Thats pretty much same as purporting that being a consumer contributes to society. Thats....everyone. i dont think most would call that a contribution. I wouldnt.

And, being unemployed, non-tax paying citizen makes one a leech, taking advantage of everything paid for by others taxes. From national defense...to roads.

They do help support rural communities....yes. but without that, those folk would find other income sources, its a net wash.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-06-2018 at 11:22.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++