WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shoe issue

Default Shoe issue

My wife wears a 12-13 AAA shoe. She is looking for a light trail walker with a fairly stiff sole to wear for hiking in England next summer. New Balance doesn't quite fit her feet. Also currently has plantar faciaitis issues. Any ideas? I want her to have happy feet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son requires a stiff sole shoe in general (everyday use). We've found Salomon running shoes to fit his feet and have a stiff enough sole.

Soloman's may very well for the bill, won't know until you try them. In my limited experience, they seem a little more narrow than other shoes and they are pretty stiff. My 12 year old likes them because they fit his skinny size 13 feet snuggly. I like them because they helped me get through PF a year or so ago. I was wearing Hokas at the time and a friend who works with college athletes, said that for PF I needed a stiff show, not a soft one like the Hokas. Custom insoles with a stupid, high arch also helped. Best of luck.

Examine the likely cause(s) of the PF first. It may or may not be the shoe or only the shoe.

PF is why I'm here tonight not on trail. PF, which I've never had in all the yrs of tennis, basketball, running, Landscape Design, Nursery work, and backpacking recently became an issue only in my right foot because 1) I was working indoors long hrs always on my feet sometimes hurrying around on concrete in the same shoes and orthotics I never previously had issue. I didn't gain any wt. I'm used to long hrs on my feet. It was the bare concrete! 2) I experimented briefly with zero drop shoes that provided no arch support. An issue I'm surprised more zero drop high arch folks dont experience. 3) I let it go too long mistakenly believing it would go away in 3-5 days

Superfeet inserts can often be more affordable alternative to custom orthotics. They don't work for everyone, but they tend to help lots of people. Beginning a daily stretching and strengthening routine can also be helpful. I don't know if they make hiking specific shoes, but I know many people who have had a marked decrease in PF symptoms after switching to Kuru brand shoes.

++ New Posts ++