WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay to Carrying Chair

Voters
46. This poll is closed
  • Yay

10 21.74%
  • Nay

34 73.91%
  • Other (comment please)

2 4.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My backpack chair (actually, my daughter on North Manitou Island). It helps when the is a soft sandy beach.

chair.jpg

Images

If I wanted a chair on my hike I would bring my Bear Canister. Would serve double duty that way.

Truthfully, I only carry the bear canister where it is required, but it does work as a nice chair. I agree with the others above that you can always find a place to sit in nature. If I am looking for the ultimate in comfort when stopping for lunch, and the option of some back support, I can set my hammock up in a a few minutes. Usually I just use a square of foam pad that I keep to sit on if the ground is damp.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Litesmith Qwikback at 4oz with groundsheet and foam pad is as much as I'll take.

Journal Entries

If you think you want a chair

Hike south from woody gap to ammicalola in april.

You can pick up several that thoughtful persons left for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

You can probably get a full kit if you were to hike that section weekly for a month. I have seen some crazy stuff left behind in the first 10-20 miles. Including an entire campsite on the approach trail with a tent, sleeping bag, and pad still setup, but the tent had about 2" of water in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    You can probably get a full kit if you were to hike that section weekly for a month. I have seen some crazy stuff left behind in the first 10-20 miles. Including an entire campsite on the approach trail with a tent, sleeping bag, and pad still setup, but the tent had about 2" of water in it.
    lol, living the dream isn't the same as dreaming the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    lol, living the dream isn't the same as dreaming the dream.
    Sure isn't. I was at Springer Mountain Shelter one year during the bubble and was talking to a young guy who had left his job and flew down to GA to thru hike. He basically said this was not what he expected, hated every minute of the hike in, as was done. He called for a ride and quit after hiking less than 1 mile of the AT. I asked him if he had done the Approach Trail, thinking I could tell him it would get better, but he had hiked up from FS42...

Images

Sure isn't. I was at Springer Mountain Shelter one year during the bubble and was talking to a young guy who had left his job and flew down to GA to thru hike. He basically said this was not what he expected, hated every minute of the hike in, as was done. He called for a ride and quit after hiking less than 1 mile of the AT. I asked him if he had done the Approach Trail, thinking I could tell him it would get better, but he had hiked up from FS42...

was his name Bill Bryson?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    was his name Bill Bryson?
    Haha! At least Bryson made it a mile or two farther before quitting!

It probably was a 'f*&k this shart, I'm going home to the greater familiarity of convenience and comfort' scenario. See it in GA, NC, and VA AT sections occasionally.

If you want to take it. take one. I hike with the Crazy Creek HEX 2. It's my one major luxury item. When I hike I don't really take breaks so i am off the trail by mid afternoon its nice to sit on something soft and dry. It helps keep my backside warm on the cool nights. I also un clip it and put my sleeping pad on top of it, adds some protection and a little more R value. The difference between backpacking and hiking is camping. Might as well be comfortable if you can. However, sometimes I take my fast and light pack and only take a square of reflective bubble wrap to sit on.

I bought a Helinox, on sale, weighs a tick over 16oz. It's dang comfortable and has spoiled me. Comes along on most of my hikes now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++