WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock on Colorado Trail thru hike

I much prefer my hammock to a tent.

I thru hiked the JMT this August and went to a ground setup for fear of a lack of good hammock spots.

In retrospect I could have easily used my hammock everynight except one without much effort.

Could thru hiking the CT be done easily with a hammock? Meaning will I have trouble finding opportunities to hammock without having to plan my day around it?

Thanks yall
    Last edited by blue indian; 12-02-2018 at 23:57.

Check out beardo and Sweetoea @ longdistancehiker.com, they hung but several others I spoke with said it was a pita and really had to plan your day around it...when I redo CT I’ll stick to the ground but didn’t see many issues using hammock for first half and maybe switch to ground after Collegiate West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if you been over to hammockforums or not, but there are a couple of members over there (may be members here too) that have done exactly what you are asking about. I hung out with them at Grayson Highlands, not to long after they had completed their CT thru hike - a few years back now. They are: hipbone and mtn goat. They've thru hiked long distance trails in addition to the CT. Great couple for sure, and maybe a great source of info for you.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Check out beardo and Sweetoea @ longdistancehiker.com, they hung but several others I spoke with said it was a pita and really had to plan your day around it...when I redo CT I’ll stick to the ground but didn’t see many issues using hammock for first half and maybe switch to ground after Collegiate West.

Thats what I was worried about. I have no doubt a ground setup is more flexible, especially on a a hike such as this. But I sleep so much better in my hammock and my setup is super dialed in.

I was told the same thing about the JMT and there was only one night (guitar lake) where I would not have been able to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I don't know if you been over to hammockforums or not, but there are a couple of members over there (may be members here too) that have done exactly what you are asking about. I hung out with them at Grayson Highlands, not to long after they had completed their CT thru hike - a few years back now. They are: hipbone and mtn goat. They've thru hiked long distance trails in addition to the CT. Great couple for sure, and maybe a great source of info for you.

u.w.

Yes, I am a hammock forum member as well. THanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Thats what I was worried about. I have no doubt a ground setup is more flexible, especially on a a hike such as this. But I sleep so much better in my hammock and my setup is super dialed in.

I was told the same thing about the JMT and there was only one night (guitar lake) where I would not have been able to hang.
    I will likely redo the CT next fall and will likely hang till monarch pass then go to ground as will plan a stay at simple hostel in Salina where can easily mail home hammock set up.....

Salida

I hiked the CDT last year, which parallels the CT for a few hundred miles so I'm only speaking to the CDT section. If you're willing to plan your route and daily miles around finding trees I think you can make it happen most nights. There was a lot of trail above treeline in the San Juans though. I cowboy camped through this whole section, high up on ridges and passes mostly.

I love hammocks too but wasn't going to bother with the hassle on the CDT. So glad I didn't. But I did meet a couple of guys who used one and were even able to hang in the desert somehow. So if there's a will, there's a way.

Monarch Pass? You should be able to get to Spring Creek Pass at Lake City with a hammock. After that is where it gets high and stays high. In between Salida and Lake City was a lot of flat and low ground in the middle, a couple higher sections but there were trees around the trail on either side of the high points, which only lasted a couple of miles above tree line. Nothing like the San Juans where it gets high and stays high.

Journal Entries

Not a problem if want to hike tree to tree, and can hike far enough. You dont stay above treeline for more than 15 -20 mi at time about max. Trees arent the most scenic places though. Sometimes your at "bushline", and would need to go off trail a ways lower for trees.

Anytime i was camped above treeline, trees werent very far away.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-18-2019 at 14:16.

++ New Posts ++