Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ammonia kills ants?
    So, next time, I'll releave onto the foodbag to keep the ants off? <G>

We usually spice up our food by loads of Chili oil.
    But so far I've never seen an ant dying from it.

Just to add a bit of personal story:
    I'm suffering from ants since ever.
    Grew up (and am still living in) a very old tiny farmhouse, where ants invasions twice a year were common (so bad that in the past we had to thrash noticeable amounts of sugar, honey and other ant's favorites).
    In the late 60ties we tried to get rid of them by severe poisons, which did more bad than good.
    When I started travelling, mainly to the south, ants were a PIA on most places where hikers/travellers usually stayed.
    Several times I had to decide whether to eat ants-infested bread or stay hungry.

We are still fighting ants here in our house occassionally, but nowadays there are extremely fine working "ants anti-baby-pills" available.
    Now I'm on the way to find even better solutions to fight against ants while travelling, something that would work immediately, non-poisonous, without much additional stuff, something makeshift on-the-spot.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Borax powder.
    I live in the tropics.
    We have lots of ants.
    Spreading some borax around problem areas works.
    Leo, borax powder is a well known and used product for insects in the home and outside. it is used by people that have recreational vehicles in campgrounds when they stay for extended periods of time. They sprinkle it around the tires of their vehicles to so that insects will get it on their bodies as they crawl up the tires trying to get inside the vehicles and quckly die before they can do damage. Please look to see if the borax is available in your nearby cities. Spread it in areas that you think is best to eliminate the ants. Place it completely around your house foundation.

Borax is an aid in laundry detergent. Hope you can find it in your local stores.

Toxic Risks of Borax and Boric Acid

Although Borax and boric acid is a more natural pest control than the sprays available through your local pest control source, or at the grocery store, it is not non-toxic by any means. If you (or your children, or your pets) eat borax or boric acid, the powder can cause nausea, vomiting, throat swelling, and other health problems. If you (or they) eat too much, a hospital visit may be necessary. Thatís never a good thing.
    To use the material safely, apply the powder in cracks and behind appliances, and do not use within a child or petís reach. Some people also report success with using the powder as a barrier around the foundation of their home and in any openings leading into the house.

Last edited by zelph; 12-06-2018 at 11:40.

We were under assault by ants and roaches in an old apartment we rented years ago. What solved the problem was Roach Prufe (which is no longer available apparently) which was essentially the same as this product. Might be helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/BorActin-Inse...t+1+Lb.+Bottle
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Funny thing, when I rebuilt our old house, I got adviced to use Borax to keep all kind of insects off the construction wood, so I took the effort to dissolve Borak in hot water (which was far from easy) and coated the massive beams with the solution.
    Gave me extremely smooth skin on the hands for many days.

Never thought about using Borax as a common insect repellent, but sure will give it a try.

For hiking, downside is that if I forgot to carry Borax, I'm out of help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++