WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use a Sandisk Sansa m240, it's super old and I doubt they make them anymore, but you could find a used one cheap. It weighs 1.4 ounces with the AAA battery inside. It doesn't have a ton of storage, maybe 1 or 2 GB, but that was always plenty for a few albums and audiobooks.

i use a ipod nano.

sansa clip is a very good mp3 player. I will get 7 or more books loaded on it. Will play for days before needing a charge.

Journal Entries

If you have a smart phone, it would be nearly ridiculous to bring another device.
    Bring some bluetooth headphones.

For 5 ounces, you got phone, camera, gps, maps, guide, books, movies,tv shows, music, games, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you have a smart phone, it would be nearly ridiculous to bring another device.
    Bring some bluetooth headphones.

For 5 ounces, you got phone, camera, gps, maps, guide, books, movies,tv shows, music, games, etc.

Well, I'd say that advice is situation specific. If you are on a trail with short re-supply intervals which enables you to frequently recharge your phone, then I would agree that there's not much to be gained by carrying a whole bunch of redundant devices. Last summer, I hiked that sort of trail in the French Alps, so I was able to recharge my phone nearly every day and really had no need for a separate MP3 player or camera.

On the other hand, there are trails which are more remote and have longer re-supply intervals. In particular both times I hiked the Colorado Trail, I used two 7-day resupply intervals plus a few shorter intervals. When you need to manage your charge for 7 days, you think a little bit more about whether to take a powerbank to recharge your phone or whether to take a separate camera, e-reader and MP3 player, or perhaps take both a powerbank and the other devices. When I hiked the Arizona Trail, I had similarly long re-supply intervals, but my phone was even more important because its GPS capabilities were my back-up if I made a navigation error and got lost in the desert. On the High Pyrenees Route, I had a couple of 5-day resupply intervals, but there were sections of the trail that were unmarked, overgrown, or poorly marked, which again made it essential that I reserve some portion of the battery for GPS navigation.

If you are on the sort of trail where you face a realistic risk of making a navigation error using your map and compass, the last thing you want to do is to fall asleep in your tent with your phone playing MP3s all night. In those cases, I much prefer to carry a separate lightweight MP3 player and a separate camera which enables me to shut my phone off altogether, ensuring that it'll definitely have juice if I happen to need in 5 or 6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    I use a Sandisk Sansa m240, it's super old and I doubt they make them anymore, but you could find a used one cheap. It weighs 1.4 ounces with the AAA battery inside. It doesn't have a ton of storage, maybe 1 or 2 GB, but that was always plenty for a few albums and audiobooks.
    We had a couple of those for our kids long ago. They're good, nice to be able to swap in a new AAA when needed ... but they eventually just stopped working. So it wasn't one of those devices that worked indefinitely so long as you had a good supply of batteries.

I'm in the market for one like the OP, but with FM radio.

Watching this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Shrek View Post
    I'm in the market for one like the OP, but with FM radio.
    Watching this thread...
    The Sansa Clip models have FM radio, as well as an expansion slot for more storage.

https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Suppor...3+player&psc=1

https://www.target.com/p/rca-4-gb-mp...YFWg&gclsrc=ds

https://www.ebay.com/p/RCA-4gb-Mp3-P...d=254014102056

For a separate AAA battery powered music, audio book and FM access Mp3 device they work fine. They are becoming harder to find new at retail.

At least with these devices I can convert any YouTube or Vimeo music vid to a song to be added to a trail music genre without additional song downloading costs. So often when upgrading electronics we have to repurchase songs, movies, books etc. Personally, I get tired of that but maybe that's just me being ignorant of current tech.

Many thanks for all your responses ! I have much to consider.

Images

Why would you want to take a phone into the woods? If you like music, take the DAP. Agreed that daytime sounds - and silence - really need to be heard, but hanging out at night doesn't have to be boring. I'm typically too tired to be bored, but to each their own.

Oh, and its a rhetorical question, I take my phone of course. Just that as I spend more and rely more on my phone for everyday use, I'm more aware than ever than I can't have it ruined on a hiking trip. That means I have it out less, and I think that's where the DAP comes in.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

my kids got me a JBL clip got my pack while hiking its not that heavy and and it really puts out some sound I usually bump that think when no one is really around to be respectful but also its a great bear or animal deterrent i mean im like the whitest kid alive but i get in moods where i wanna hear some gangster rap lol and if i pumping up a mt bumping some old 36 maffia or some **** i doubt or dare a bear to come f with me lol with my luck he will only get me when im blasting fleet foxes or some mellow hipster stuff haha

Journal Entries
    Images

70F933E4-59D9-416C-A33E-2CFE8E3BE69B.jpg
    I saw this guy on the trail just north of the Curley Maple Gap shelter. He just gave a low buzz not the ominous rattle of the cowboy movies. If I had earphones in I might not have heard him.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++