Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the superlight and a true quilt go hand in hand. Cowboying with a quilt in the open doesnt sound like I'd enjoy it on the regular. Id rather have a bag if I was always sleeping in the open.

I'm 5'8". 150lbs. I bought a large superlight to make sure I wasnt compressing anything. Ron recommends this especially if using an xlite. Idk if ik bringing my xlite, but if i do i need not worry.

I definitely think ill kick myself without a simple ground sheet. I like a clean camp and to take care of my stuff. I wouldnt want to to put my DCF tarp on the ground due to $. Ill add the polycro pack. Have you found a ground sheet under the bivy helps reduce condensation/adds warmth etc.

But... thats breaking one of Rons 10 commandments of the superlight lol.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I asked him about setting up in the rain. "I just wait for a break in the rain" Usually make a cup of coffee until the rain breaks lol... He would stop and make like 6 cups of coffee a day on an old esbit stove with a vienna sausage can as his cookpot.

I've so often experienced non stop rain on the east coast backpacking trips and the AT for 3 or more days. So no wonder he was in the habit of getting up at 4am and start walking.
    I laughed when he said it... im like a break in the rain? Are we on the same trail? Those AT rain storms lingered for days on end lol.

You're not out in the open you're in a bivy.

I recently ordered another Superlight. I wanted a 1.0 DCF bottom rather than the .75. Ron, the Chief Happiness Officer, said not doable. He suggested a polycro ground sheet so...

I use a current Lg with a NEoAirXLite Shorty or Womans length inside teh Superlight and I'm 6'4" 205Lbs. I don't bring my gear inside though. I do wear apparel but not Michelin Man belaying type poofies.

Be glad you have the DCF bottom if you use a polycro ground cloth. With the silny bottom I slide all over with my tossing and turning. Putting the pad inside less overall sliding around. Trying to sleep with the pad outside the silny bottom bivy using poly I've almost slid off ledges unless it's really flat ground.

You're not out in the open you're in a bivy.

I recently ordered another Superlight. I wanted a 1.0 DCF bottom rather than the .75. Ron, the Chief Happiness Officer, said not doable. He suggested a polycro ground sheet so...

I use a current Lg with a NEoAirXLite Shorty or Womans length inside teh Superlight and I'm 6'4" 205Lbs. I don't bring my gear inside though. I do wear apparel but not Michelin Man belaying type poofies.

Be glad you have the DCF bottom if you use a polycro ground cloth. With the silny bottom I slide all over with my tossing and turning. Putting the pad inside less overall sliding around. Trying to sleep with the pad outside the silny bottom bivy using poly I've almost slid off ledges unless it's really flat ground.
    Noted on the slippage. I have the DCF bottom. Also have a xlite womens if i decide to go inflatable. But recently ive been sleeping on hard surfaces due to a back injury and i think i might be better on the hard ground than on an inflatable. Been sleeping on the green big ages short pad at home right now. Oware had some nice ccf i was considering. The 2.5" thickness is what im trying to avoid. Ill put my pack under my legs to elevate them.

I got sucked into this black hole.

https://backpackergeek.wordpress.com...m-pads-part-2/

Whats your food storage recommendation for the PCT? I have a zpacks food bag with an AT thru hike on it still in great shape. No doubt it would last another thru. It was between that or trying an opsak. Ive seen those things get destroyed real fast though. But i dont know how others treat their gear.

Opsaks and Skurka's food protection article.

Mega fauna protection is not a grand issue on the PCT other than Yosemite and N Cascades. Even the meeses are much less an issue than the AT.

PM sent.

CCF's do very well on the PCT. I'm used to inflatable shorty and woman Neo's as part a virtual frame in the ruck packs I choose and mainly side sleep so...I'd bring a 1/4 tube of Seam Grip or Aqua Seal though as insurance if an inflatable is that level of multi use at least up to KM. Joshua trees got me twice. Glad to have that 1/4 oz tube on those water hauls with a frameless pack.

Have you researched an UL umbrella used with a quality DWRed breathable wind shirt? It could address your sun issue as well as provide rain and cowboy sleep site protection. It might be a lighter wt more usable less complex combination and lead to less sun specific clothing. It also leaves you cooler and is utmost in ventability even more so than a poncho. GG and MB have 7-8 oz ones. It can also be used in conjunction with a smaller coverage lighter wt more minimalist tarp or for added protection if setting up with a tarp. You might be able to use it extensively through Socal.

Have you researched an UL umbrella used with a quality DWRed breathable wind shirt? It could address your sun issue as well as provide rain and cowboy sleep site protection. It might be a lighter wt more usable less complex combination and lead to less sun specific clothing. It also leaves you cooler and is utmost in ventability even more so than a poncho. GG and MB have 7-8 oz ones. It can also be used in conjunction with a smaller coverage lighter wt more minimalist tarp or for added protection if setting up with a tarp. You might be able to use it extensively through Socal.
    I bought a brand new chrome dome a few years back, got it on sale. Still in the case in storage at the moment.

Its been in the back of my mind. Tis the full size. I know they make a smaller one now as well.

My problem is I will roast. Im as white as it gets and really susceptible to sun burns. I even got some pretty good neck burns in the long green tunnel. I dont want to take chances. But... my current sun pro system is pretty adaptable. All be it. Alot of separate pieces. Im comfortable with my system at the moment. Thats something im erring on the side of caution. Will adapt on trail if need be and will set aside a little cash for different clothes if need be. I wore a long sleeve button up on the AT because my arms would burn. Backs of my legs got a little red at times too. I want to mitigate the use of sunblock. Ill carry a small tube of some good stuff. But im gonna need sun pro for the majority of the hike. Id rather use a clothing system rather than gallons of sunblock or carry an umbrella the whole time.

If anything, id pack the umbrella as a luxury item and not refine my kit around it.

Freezing rain in SoCal with a late Apr start shouldn't be an all consuming prioritizing concern.
    I'm too conservative, I suppose, but on the PCT you are traveling in high mountains in the spring. People hit the Lagunas with nothing more than windshirts and get away with it, but I've seen freezing rain up there, with ice coating everything in spring. While there is definitely not a pile of corpses at the base of Forester Pass, entering the high Sierra in May and early June when equipped for summer weather makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    I'm too conservative, I suppose, but on the PCT you are traveling in high mountains in the spring. People hit the Lagunas with nothing more than windshirts and get away with it, but I've seen freezing rain up there, with ice coating everything in spring. While there is definitely not a pile of corpses at the base of Forester Pass, entering the high Sierra in May and early June when equipped for summer weather makes me nervous.
    Ill either have a poncho or rain jacket and possibly an umbrella. Due to my lack of experience on the west coast and PCT. I'd rather pack an extra 2-3 ounces of my fears to make up for my lack of experience out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Ill either have a poncho or rain jacket
    I'd suggest the rain jacket and a pack cover if you're hiking alone. I had a poncho on the pct. Started raining. That's when I realized I couldn't get the thing on over my pack without a buddy to pull it over the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post

Individual apparel pieces in the context of backpacking rarely to never are used individually. They are part of a larger system/larger systems, approaches, and awarenesses.

The OP stated: a late April start, moderate paced, not anticipating flipping, and is not depending on or considering just depending on a wind shirt. To be clear, just a wind shirt approach was not suggested.

The OP stated: a late April start, moderate paced, not anticipating flipping, and is not depending on or considering just depending on a wind shirt. To be clear, just a wind shirt approach was not suggested.
    Oh, I wasn't bashing what you wrote at all, just a general comment. Cheers!

No problem. I thought you were making a general comment. I was adding/reminding us of some detail to offer context of why what was stated. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++