WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

One suggestion that helped me... a pillow. Not a stuff sack filled with dirty socks, but a Sea-to-Summit inflatable. Made quite a difference.

As strange as it may sound, have you ever taken the pad out of the equation? I mean try hitting 20 miles in a day with your full backpack, exactly what you would be carrying, and go back to your regular bed. It might be your pack... or your shoes.... or just the strain of an extra 25 pounds riding on your hips that changes all the dynamics of your movement?

One strategy I employ is setting a timer on my watch for every 90 minutes, where I shed my pack and reset for just 3 or 5 minutes. I found that trudging along for hours on end would get me bound up in the neck and shoulders when I finally stopped to setup camp. Since incorporating breaks, it made a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gendry View Post
    There's nothing wrong with my back. I've never had back problems. I'm in good physical condition and am very active. I never had any soreness in my lower back until I started experimenting with this air mattress. I tried elevating my legs and there is a definite improvement so the idea that my lower back is being forced into an arched position seems to be correct. Hammock? Yes. Looking into it. Never slept in one before. I'm curious to see what it's like.
    I tried everything mentioned here with no relief for hips and lower back until...........I bought a hammock. I like sleeping in it more than my own bed. Sleep like a baby and wake up with minimal stiffness (well I am 67 so something is going to be hurting). I have a DutchWare Cameleon but there are a lot of other good ones. This is an excellent resource: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I switched to a hammock for this lower back pain reason. I might not sleep all night or as long as I would in my bed at home, but I NEVER wake up with back pain sleeping in my hammock. Best wishes figuring something out.

I have the same issue too OP. That feeling of a big arch in your lower back while sleeping. I have yet to find a solution for back sleeping either, so I usually flop from side to side during the night. I know that doesn't help, but you aren't the only one.
    It is what it is.

1. For a few ounces you can solve your back issues in the field go buy yourself a mini portable tens/ems combo unit. Also on the plus side if you are using EMS it may actually make you warmer because you are lightly contracting muscles.

2. You can also buy some menthol or lidocaine patches and place them on your low back.

3. A warm nalgene bottle under the small of your back

4. NSAIDS Non steroidal anti-inflammatories IE: Aleve (lasts 12hrs) Motrin (8hrs)

5. sit ups and core strength exercises

6. stretch stretch and stretch some more

7. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate and replenish lost electrolytes.

8. A small foam exercise roll that you can use for exercise, stretching, as a pillow, or for low back support
    Last edited by wordstew; 12-04-2018 at 19:37.

7. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate and replenish lost electrolytes.

Absolutely! Glad you mentioned it. Dehydration leads to fatigue, inflammation and stiffness in joints - PAIN, including of the spine, constipation, gout, decreased absorption of anti inflammatory food nutrients, and deceased circulation all correlated with spinal comfort. Data has shown most are in a state of dehydration. Yet, we think otherwise. It's only water. Coffee, tea, soda, fruit juices, and alcohol don't count as pure water.

Are you hanging your feet off the end by any chance? I'm not a back sleeper but if I sleep on too a firm/stiff bed it aggravates my back. I was going to suggest letting some air out but you said you did that.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I've had back issues for many years. Not that my/our bed is bad, but sleeping outside on the Thermarest usually improved the problems.
    Since I've picked up hiking, especially desert hiking which includes hauling big loads, my back vastly improved and doing some execises on a regular basis made the back issues vanish completely.

When sleeping outdoors, I usually start as a back sleeper, just to turn to all other possible positions during the night.
    Lying on the back, I apprecciate having something slightly elevated under the knees. I usually stuff some clothes beneath the pad to get this elevation.
    Elevating the knees flattens out the lower back and lets it rest completely relaxed, a position my PT highly recommended to relieve a pain attack.

I've tried to put something under the small of the back but didn't like it at all.
    Hydrating before going to bed just forces me to get up during the night more than once, so usually I'd pick up on hydration in the morning.

But then, everybody's different, as every back pain is, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++