WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default kelty cosmic down

Wanted to get some advise on the kelty cosmic down bags. Looking to buy a good bag that wont break the bank. Thanks

Outdoorgearlab.com has reviewed the 0F, 20F, and 40F Cosmic Down bags. I think they would meet your criteria of a good bag that doesn't break the bank. The downside is that, compared to many other down bags, they are bulkier and heavier due to using lower fill power down than most down bags on the market (and needing more of it to reach the loft of its temp rating). But that's why they aren't priced to break the bank ... one must pay extra to get equal warmth in a lighter, more compact package.

Ask PMAGS, WhiteBlaze moderator and backpacking trail guide author. He has said good things about the bags.
    Wayne

Takes up a few more litres of spaces and is about 1 lb heavier than some bags with comparable ratings. Nothing wrong with it for the price, especially the REI sale price that seems to end today. I don't think i'd pay full price for that bag

The 20f bag is probably good until around 30f or a touch below, and you can make it work well for a 3 season bag
    The 0f bag is a lot heavier and bulky, and for those reasons you'd probably get tired of carting it around quickly..

Try to get a used bag of better quality

Squirrel29, I am in a similar boat and decided to try the Hyke & Byke Eolus 0 degree bag over the Kelty due to size and weight. That being said, I am a bit leery of the quality. I am supposed to get it in the mail today and will try it out this weekend (in the backyard) to see how it does.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hyke-Byke-Goo...and+byke&psc=1

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Kelty makes some good quality gear at low prices. But that means their gear tends to be on the heavy side.

That is not any sort of knock on Kelty. The general saying when it comes to camping gear is "High Quality, Low Weight, Low Price: Pick Two". Kelty has decided to fill the "High Quality, Low Price" sides of that triangle.

I've heard many good reviews regarding the Kelty Cosmic Down bag, and over the years, I've seen my people here in WB suggest it when someone is looking for a low price bag, especially when it could be found at a discount.
    But as has been pointed out, you can get sleeping bags that are lighter and pack down tighter... but they will cost more.

So in the long run, if you wind up doing a log of hiking, you're likely to eventually spend the money on one of those more expensive bags.
    So just know that if you spend only a little money now on a sleeping bag and do much camping, you'll likely be spending the money on a more expensive bag in the future anyway, as well as the money you'll spend today on a Kelty Cosmic Down (but then you'll have a 2nd sleeping bag for a buddy or relative to borrow to come along with you in the future).

Thanks to all for the info. I would like to hear from some of those who own one as well. Been looking at the cosmic 20 for a while or a 20 or 40 degree hammock gear burrow quilt. I got a email from mass drop the other day and they have the cosmic 20 for $89+ tax with free shipping. This has me on notice because I can save a lot of $ with the bag or save my $ and buy the economy 20 or 40 burrow which is lighter. Regular price the cosmic 20, 40 burrow, and 20 burrow are very close. Would like to buy one good bag or quilt. Oh so many choices need help yall.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd buy it at that price...
    When you consider a really nice light weight bag is going to run $300-600, spending <$100 on a quality starter sleeping bag sounds like a good idea of you need your money for other items at this time... if you need it now. If you don't need it now, you could take a risk and see what turns up in clearance sales between Christmas and Easter. When you're not picky on brand, you can find some killer deals. Once picked up a Kelty Gunnison 3 person tent for $125, it's one of the older models where you can actually sleep 3 comfortable). This is STILL my go-to tent when I'm taking a pair of kids with me camping. It's not crazy heavy when you consider the weight per person, and that thicker and stronger floor keeps me from worrying about the kids messing it up (by comparison, I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 that I use for solo camp trips... got a great clearance price, but given a brand new one at full retail would be >$450, I'm petrified of messing it up myself).

I had a Cosmic Down 20 and I froze in it at 30-32. Decent pad underneath, 3 season tent. I sold it and went with an REI Igneo 19 bag and had much better results. Now use Western Mountaineering bags and will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    Thanks to all for the info. I would like to hear from some of those who own one as well. Been looking at the cosmic 20 for a while or a 20 or 40 degree hammock gear burrow quilt. I got a email from mass drop the other day and they have the cosmic 20 for $89+ tax with free shipping. This has me on notice because I can save a lot of $ with the bag or save my $ and buy the economy 20 or 40 burrow which is lighter. Regular price the cosmic 20, 40 burrow, and 20 burrow are very close. Would like to buy one good bag or quilt. Oh so many choices need help yall.
    I would definitely not go with a burrow 40 unless you're summer only, but I have a burrow 20 and it serves me well. It's good to around 30f and then I go lower with some additions
    If you think you're going to go below 30f, it'd be a good idea to add a few ounces of extra fill. This will also prevent some issues with down shifting with slightly underfilled baffles.

How high can you go with a burrow 20 without being to hot?

How high can you go with a burrow 20 without being to hot?
    I use it in the summer without much issue. I find it's fine with it open and partially uncovered, even when it's pretty warm

Thanks to all for the info. I think I will hold up sense I will not be needing it soon and see what I can get the is higher quality. In the mean time I will keep saving and might end up with a 20* burrow econ, sounds like I could use it from spring to the end of fall.

Thanks to all for the info. I think I will hold up sense I will not be needing it soon and see what I can get the is higher quality. In the mean time I will keep saving and might end up with a 20* burrow econ, sounds like I could use it from spring to the end of fall.
    You won't regret getting a warmer, lighter weight, higher quality quilt.

But if you stay with this backpacking thing and want to hike year-'round, you'll eventually discover that 20 deg isn't quite warm enough for winter, so you end up needing a 0 deg to extend your kit, and later on you find out that it is vast overkill for the warmer months, so you'll likely want a lighter, more compact 40 deg quilt.

Heed the words of Just Bill:
    Paraphrasing: 20 F is the breaking point between quilts and real sleeping bags with fitted hoods, neck collars, and foot boxes.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Heed the words of Just Bill:
    Paraphrasing: 20 F is the breaking point between quilts and real sleeping bags with fitted hoods, neck collars, and foot boxes.
    Wayne
    I find around 20f is the breaking point for a lot of gear, including common 3 season sleeping pads. Gettin' into proper winter mode much below that

++ New Posts ++