WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where to live

No Sales Tax, no income tax, local property tax can be steep but very dependent on which town you end up in. There is a small dividends and capital gains tax but with tax planning if can be a minimal issue.

Go west young man.
    If you haven't been, you owe to yourself to at least check it out before moving somewhere in the east.
    Colorado is probably the best but CA, OR, ID, MT, UT, are all also good.
    I've hiked in most all the states and would pick CO or CA as my first choice if I choose to move.
    I'm pretty happy in Thailand though although the hikings not so great. But lots of good stuff nearby (hiked in 9 different countries in the past 15 months)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    Odd man out......actually I have a friend that lives in Scotland. That is a thought, but probably at least 3-5 years away. Want to explore more of the USA first
    Ahh! A topic I can provide an informed opinion on (though I am not retired at this point).

From a hiking perspective, Scotland has a lot to offer. There is the right to roam - so you hike and can camp where you wish in the hills (with a few minor exceptions along Loch Lomond), just as long as you are respectful of people's property. You can't camp in someone's backyard, etc.

The terrain is somewhat similar to New England, but without as much forest. So, you have a lot of mountains with clear views. These are called Munros (> 3000 ft), and people collect these (all 248). It's like the 4000 footers in New Hampshire.

There are some long distance paths: the West Highland Way, and the Southern Upland Way are the two I am most familiar with.

OK, it is a tad dark in the winter, and it does rain a bit... but there are some nice pubs for these times. I'd heartily recommend the Clachaig Inn, in Glen Coe.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Only problem with the Scandinavian countries is the possible high cost of living, but I'm sure with much research you could live on the cheap.
    True. Norway is probably worse than Sweden. Also, you probably won't be eligible to get a visa that would allow you to work, so you basically would need to have a pretty generous retirement pension saved up to make this one work.

Here’s a list for you:
    Places, States, etc. not mentioned so far on these pages.
    States adjoining states mentioned. Lower population. Lower taxes. You get the idea.
    Places that haven’t been included on “Places to live” lists. By the time a community or region makes one of those lists it’s too late. They are on their way to, or have already been, “discovered”. Or ruined.
    Be a pioneer. An explorer. Find your “Own Private Idaho.”
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Shhhhhhhh! If you tell them they will come. 😄
    Cold. Wet. Colder! Wetter! An understatement. But you get used to it. I suppose. The recent ice storm was beautiful. I’m glad it happened after we left West Jefferson. Someday the rebuilding of US 221 will be completed. Cheers!
    Wayne
    On second thought, the locals are all on drugs, the sheriff is on the take, schools are horrible, no good restaurants and property values are going down, so any investment will yield negative returns. Probably should scratch it off the list!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    On second thought, the locals are all on drugs, the sheriff is on the take, schools are horrible, no good restaurants and property values are going down, so any investment will yield negative returns. Probably should scratch it off the list!!
    Tell it like it is Brother! Grinning.
    My daughter lives in Ashe County. We were there in October. We’ll be back.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Go west young man.
    If you haven't been, you owe to yourself to at least check it out before moving somewhere in the east.
    I've hiked in most all the states and would pick CO or CA as my first choice if I choose to move.
    I'm pretty happy in Thailand though although the hikings not so great. But lots of good stuff nearby (hiked in 9 different countries in the past 15 months)
    If I were to choose a place to live with no consideration for taxes or cost of living, I would most likely choose Bishop, CA.

Out west, I also really like Colorado. The small towns I went through on the Colorado Trail that I could see myself living in include Lake City and Leadville.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    True. Norway is probably worse than Sweden. Also, you probably won't be eligible to get a visa that would allow you to work, so you basically would need to have a pretty generous retirement pension saved up to make this one work.
    Yep, I've been researching for quite sometime on moving to Iceland. Not an easy task for a U.S. citizen.

Journal Entries

Hey Wesgoat...alot of your plans this year are similar to mine. I too live in Florida, Port Orange just south of Daytona Beach. I have also hiked two LASHes....Springer Approach to Pearisburg, VA and Pearisburg to just south of Mt. Everett in Mass. This year (2019) I hope to finish up the trail beginning May 3rd, but I'm starting just south of DWG, giving me time and distance to get the legs in the best shape before hitting the Whites....I believe this will give me the best chance to finish the trail. Flying Sanford, FL. to Lehigh Valley direct on May 3rd. Can't wait! Maybe I'll see ya on the trail!

Hey bubblehead. Yea man, probably will see ya. I havent made concrete plans yet but feeling the same thing about starting near DWG to give me more time before the Whites. Didn't know about direct flights into lehigh valley. Will check that out! Was planning on starting same week as you. Good luck on your hike man

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have lived pretty well all over the U.S. and I suggest that Denver, CO is as good as it gets for hiking. Even during the winter, there is hiking in the foothills. When it warms up a bit, there is unlimited hiking in the Rocky Mountains.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries
    Images

I moved from Indiana, which has it's own slate of excellent hiking trails, mostly in the southern part of the state, but my heart (and my pocketbook) wanted to be closer to the AT. I took a job in Arlington, VA and moved to Manassas so I'm only about 40 miles from The Trail. When I partially retire in five years, I'm probably only going as far as Front Royal, VA or perhaps the neighborhood of Winchester, VA or Harpers Ferry, WV. The wife and I plan on downgrading the house $ and upgrading to a nice C Class RV with tipouts to tour the hiking and biking trails across the country. It'll give us the flexibility to visit grandkids without being a burden on the kids, and experience the full range of American natural beauty from the old growth forests and trails up and down the West Coast, Rocky Mountains, Appalachian Mountains, as well as the ever growing mileage of converted rail lines that are now fantastic biking trails.

Hey green light. Thanks for the info. I took a zero in front royal a couple years ago. Stayed at the mountain house hostel. I think that is what it is called. Right off the trail. Nice place.

I am defintely looking at eastern tennessee, western nc, or places in va. I will definetly visit some before deciding. But, even then it might not be permanent. I can always move around if need be for awhile.

Just want to be closer to trails. That's all.

So, let's get a little more specific. When I hiked thru virginia on the AT a couple years ago I really enjoyed it. I liked the people , liked the views. It was good hiking. To all of those living and hiking in Virginia tell me more about your area.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Go west young man.
    I agree, west is where I would go. Add AZ to the list.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    Hey green light. Thanks for the info. I took a zero in front royal a couple years ago. Stayed at the mountain house hostel. I think that is what it is called. Right off the trail. Nice place.

I am defintely looking at eastern tennessee, western nc, or places in va. I will definetly visit some before deciding. But, even then it might not be permanent. I can always move around if need be for awhile.

Just want to be closer to trails. That's all.

IMG_0093.JPG
    You mean this crazy little spot? We parked our cars and hung out here after doing the northern half of Shenandoah this past summer. Great place, great proprietor.

i second the Virginia vote.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Tell it like it is Brother! Grinning.
    My daughter lives in Ashe County. We were there in October. We’ll be back.
    Wayne
    Alleghany County, NC is in our future.
    Moving in 3 weeks.
    We’re never going to be ready!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

I live in Flagler Beach, north Florida and also really miss the mountains so every few months, we pack the car up and leave early, about five in the morning, and make it to Asheville by lunchtime, about eight hours, for a beer, or two, at the 'Jack o' the Woods'.
    So much good hiking and a city with lots of cool vibes....worth checking out ....but unfortunately, it has been 'discovered', so the prices have gone up a lot in recent years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++