WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 20 Days with a New McHale Pack

After waiting almost a year for a custom Pack (and doing 4 trips---80 days---with his temporary Demo pack), Dan McHale sends the finished product and it's a beauty! He calls it a Critical Mass II pack---with mine made in red cordura with yellow spectra top lid and back pocket.

The goal of this trip was to take the BMT from Beech Gap to Yellowhammer Gap, a distance of around 13 miles. The route was recently cleared and opened by Student Conservation Corp out of Chattanooga---and what better trail to backpack than a trail recently cleared?

The other goals of the trip were to pull both Nutbuster trails in the Citico/Slickrock wilderness---the tough Upper Slickrock #42 (Nutbuster) and Citico's most rugged trek on Brush Mt Trail.

To see all trip pics go here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...w-McHale-Pack/

20 DAYS
    WITH A
    NEW
    MCHALE
    PACK

TRIP 192
    August 26--September 14 2018

HIGHLIGHTS
    ** "SCOOTER" JIM ON BOB MOUNTAIN
    ** AMY FROM STARR MT OUTFITTERS
    ** ON THE BMT FROM BEECH GAP TO YELLOWHAMMER GAP
    ** 5 DAYS ON SLICKROCK CREEK
    ** 19 BACKPACKERS SEEN
    ** 46 CREEK CROSSINGS
    ** MOHAWK BOY ON SLICKROCK CREEK
    ** ASHEVILLE CLAY ON SLICKROCK CREEK
    ** 4 MORE BACKPACKERS ON SLICKROCK CREEK
    ** 3 WOMEN WANT MY SPOT
    ** GATLINBURG DISTILLER AND DOG FRODO AT WILDCAT FALLS
    ** 4 BACKPACKERS FROM OHIO AT WILDCAT FALLS
    ** 4 BACKPACKERS AT FISHERMAN CAMP FROM ASHEVILLE
    ** 45TH NUTBUSTER CLIMB WITH COMPLETE TRAILWORK
    ** LOWER JENKINS CONNECTOR HELL SLOG
    ** UPPER JENKINS CONNECTOR TRAIL
    ** DOWN AND UP NAKED GROUND TRAIL
    ** 23RD BRUSH MT BACKPACK WITH TRAILWORK

TRAILS
    Entrance Beech Gap
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail
    54A South to Bob Mt
    **Fir Tree Grove**
    7 Mile Ridge to Naked Ground Gap
    **Watauga Camp**
    7 Mile Ridge to Hangover Mt
    Hangover Lead South
    **Elysium Fields**
    South Lead Down to Big Fat Gap
    Windy Gap Trail
    **Windy Gap Spring Camp**
    Windy Gap Down
    Nichols Cove Down to Dotson Grave
    **Dog Hat Camp**
    Yellowhammer Trail to YH Gap
    Ike Branch Down
    Slickrock Creek
    **Slisgah Camp**
    Slickrock Creek 2 Crossings Upstream
    **Buffalo Rock Camp**
    Slickrock Creek 7 Crossings Upstream
    **Big Stack Crossing Camp(Wildcat Crossing Camp)**
    Slickrock Creek Upstream
    Nutbuster Leg 1
    **Burnthouse Camp**
    Nutbuster Up
    **Open Cove**
    45th Nutbuster Climb
    **Landon Camp Naked Ground Gap**
    Naked Ground Trail Down
    **Low Dog Creekside Camp**
    Naked Ground Trail Down
    Kilmer Memorial Roadwalk
    Lower Jenkins Connector Trail Up
    Jenkins Meadow Trail Up
    **Kurt's Log Camp**
    Jenkins Backtrack Down
    Upper Jenkins Connector Trail
    Naked Ground Trail Up
    **Mid Dog Camp**
    Naked Ground Trail Up to Naked Ground Gap
    7 Mile Ridge West
    **South Col Camp on Bob Mt**
    54A South Down to Cold Gap
    Trail 149
    **Barrel Gap**
    Trail 149
    North Fork Citico
    **NF Crossing 1 Camp**
    North Fork Trail to South Fork Up
    **Brush Mt Up**
    **Brush Ridge Gap Camp**
    23rd Brush Mt Trail Backpack
    Trail 149
    **Cold Gap Camp**
    Fodderstack Ridge South to Beech Gap and OUT.

My trip starts on the BMT at Beech Gap and here is the new McHale pack loaded with about 95 lbs of crap. Both the top lid and large back pocket are made in Spectra fabric. The green bag is my Hilleberg tent and the two vertical side sacks are my sleeping pads---one a Trail Pro inflatable and the other a Solar ccf.

My first day is a tough 3.5 miles with a gain of a thousand feet---tough with a 95 lb pack---but I make it to the fir tree grove on Bob Mt at 5,300 feet.

Once on Bob Mt I stay on the ridge (I call it 7 Mile Ridge)---and stay on the BMT and climb here to Haoe Peak for a reststop before reaching Hangover Mt and the trail dropping off the mountain to Big Fat Gap.

Once I drop off 5,000 foot Hangover Mt on the South Lead trail I was hoping to find water on the way down but no such luck so I had to pull 3 bushwacking water runs to a little creek I knew about below a place called Grassy Gap where I camped. (I call it Elysium Fields). My first two water runs had to be aborted due to the terrible brush on the bushwack. My third attempt from a different direction was a success. I am using McHale's top lid as an over-the-shoulder bag to haul my 8 lbs of water back to camp.

I leave Elysium Fields and reach Big Fat Gap and then take the Windy Gap/BMT trail to this spot---Windy Gap. It's always a favorite place to take a break. Here the Windy Gap trail Tees the Nichols Cove trail---the BMT route on Nichols turns right.

I descend the Nichols Cove section to the gravesite and take a bunch of gear pics of crap that is in my ditty bag. This is my headlamp purchased about 10 years ago---liked it so much I bought two before Petzl dicontinued the model.

I leave my Nichols Cove campsite and start my Quest of the Yellowhammer trail---and as shown recently worked by a SCC crew. The old Yellowhammer trail is visible on the far right descending sharply to a creek---they greatly improved it with these steps.

I finish the Yellowhammer trail which puts me here in Yellowhammer Gap so I study the new trailpost and some newly opened trails---like the one going down to Tapoco Lodge on the BMT. The Hangover Lead Trail pointing UP should never be hiked!! It's very steep.

After I finish my Yellowhammer quest I take Ike Branch trail down to Slickrock Creek and meet my second backpacker of the trip---with his dog. I see 19 total backpackers on this trip but 18 of them are associated with the Labor Day weekend and the holiday.

Slickrock Creek trail has 12 total creek crossings and my next goal is to backpack 10 of these crossings to the start of the Nutbuster trail. Along the way I encounter some very nasty blowdowns and this is one I can't get through so I pull out my folding saw and get to work.

Voila! Blowdown cluster cleared.

As I'm backpacking up Slickrock Creek I run into my third backpacker of the trip, a guy named Clay out of Asheville. His monumental plan is to hike all of Slickrock Creek up to the start of the Nutbuster trail and pull it up to Naked Ground Gap---in one day!! I'm right behind him but my pack's still around 80 lbs.

This is Crossing 5 on Slickrock Creek and one of my favorite places to take a break because it's so pretty. It's just above Buffalo Rock.

I pull 10 crossings on Slickrock Creek and set up camp above Wildcat Falls and run into this guy heading to the Falls with his dog Frodo.

Images

im interested to hear about this belding trail.....

The Labor Day crowd starts pouring in and this is a group from Ohio coming up from Wildcat Falls and heading to Big Fat Gap and out.

I finish all my Slickrock Creek crossings and start up the dreaded Nutbuster trail---purportedly the hardest trail in the Southeast. I have divided this most favored trail into 10 legs and this sign is at the end of leg 1 and starting up leg 2---the easy section.

This is my favorite pic of the trip and it shows some of the big rocks on Leg 4 of the Nutbuster trail. And also shows my new pack. Past leg 4 you enter the worst section of the trail on leg 5 which is filled with about 20 big blowdowns. To see them all go here and scroll---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...Pack/i-C82CVGs

Near the top of the Nutbuster trail I enter a heath tunnel and the worst is over. I just pulled my 45th backpack of the Nut!!! And proud of it.

Once I reach Naked Ground Gap after pulling the Nutbuster I go down the other side of the mountain on the Naked Ground Trail---another trail recently cleared by a group called SAWS---and it's so nice I backpack it twice---down and then back up.

At the bottom of the Naked Ground trail I set up camp next to Little Santeetlah Creek and the next day prepare to shove off---to pull both Jenkins Meadow connector trails---which pass thru walls of brambles.

After I play around on Jenkins Meadow for awhile I return to the Naked Ground trail and backpack up the thing---a 3,000 foot climb in about 4 miles---and pass by several giant trees in a valley never logged by man.

Images

and im surprised you didnt tear that memorial camp sign down...

After climbing back up to 7 Mile Ridge I pass over Bob Mt and look back to the fir trees and phlox. I'm on my way to Trail 149 and the North Fork Citico trail.

I take Trail 54A South off Bob Mt and hook onto Trail 149 which in 4 miles takes me to North Fork trail and after about 20 crossings reach the bottom of the North Fork and stop at this pretty spot.

After punching out the North Fork I get on the South Fork trail and ascend to its junction with the Brush Mt trail---but vandals have stolen the trailhead post and ripped out my old red ribbon showing where Brush Mt trail crosses the South Fork---so I stop and put up new ribbon. It's time for my 23rd backpack on the rugged and remote Brush Mt trail!!

Somewhere on the Brush Mt trail as it climbs up thru the rocks of Brush Creek. The trail crosses over this slanted rock and enters a true hell zone---and then a major rainstorm hits me and I get soaked but keep climbing.

I spend 2 days backpacking and trailworking Brush Mt and finally pop out on its high end by its trailpost. Yes, the trail is faintly visible to the left of my pack and goes behind the post.

Yes, the pack worked great and hauled all my crap in comfort. All Hail McHale etc.

And so the trip ends where it started at Beech Gap on Day 20.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and im surprised you didnt tear that memorial camp sign down...
    It was very loose and it'll be gone in about a week after some boy scouts discover it and pry it off to take home as a souvenir.

Images

and in picture 32-----are people already carving into the new sign?

and in picture 32-----are people already carving into the new sign?
    You're talking about this one---

Trip 192 (64)-XL.jpg

What I find amazing is guys will take the time to scratch crap into trailsigns but not take 5 seconds to move a blowdown off the trail or carry pruners and clip briars out of their faces.

Images

yeah...........

that sign.........

looks somewhat new........

and already carved into..........

when ya going to do the belding trail?

im interested in that one....

yeah...........

that sign.........

looks somewhat new........

and already carved into..........

when ya going to do the belding trail?

im interested in that one....
    More discussion here on the Belding Trail---

https://www.facebook.com/Joycekilmer...28752147169880

Can't access it? Like this page first---

https://www.facebook.com/Joycekilmer...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAYyPeJ0GcaSmnFCpWuU7DU01ss3Dox5IUQEHMJC0AgMB hFR93JmWixTDMOU8Ob3NOpBu11BJQIOTGwGZy3EcLOVYzbUgyB f51hDKOWoL2O2GXxIGw6xlNB5rXJ8j3GPJZAE6X8ycT0NHqDa6 029pI1KRTJElqLUzNr6RCTk1WzpekgDGL-vw&__tn__=C-R

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You're such a stud, Tipi. Thanks for the pics!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

What did you do with your Seek Outside Pack?

Gorgeous pack Tipi. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

yeah, I like the looks of that McHale pack, nice!

great report as usual thanks for that

those kids did an outstanding job on that trail work, I'm a fan of that group based on this exposure alone, need to send them a note and check out their program

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, what a beautiful pack! Super cool hike too...
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Love the pack, it’s bright and cheerful.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What did you do with your Seek Outside Pack?
    I used it on a 21 day trip and it's now up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    yeah, I like the looks of that McHale pack, nice!

great report as usual thanks for that

those kids did an outstanding job on that trail work, I'm a fan of that group based on this exposure alone, need to send them a note and check out their program
    There are many such for-pay trail crews doing work around here. Student Conservation Association, Student Conservation Corps (they did the recent Hangover Mt work), SAWS---they just cleared the Naked Ground trail superbly.

And it looks like your trip out West was spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Love the pack, it’s bright and cheerful.
    I wanted something bright to stand out in the Southeast especially during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I used it on a 21 day trip and it's now up for sale.

There are many such for-pay trail crews doing work around here. Student Conservation Association, Student Conservation Corps (they did the recent Hangover Mt work), SAWS---they just cleared the Naked Ground trail superbly.

And it looks like your trip out West was spectacular.

I wanted something bright to stand out in the Southeast especially during hunting season.
    And it will keep you happy on your next 21 Day on the Frozen Tundra hike. That’s all that matters, happiness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++