WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Group hang gear sharing

For the past several summers, I've been going up to the Adirondacks with a cousin and my son and we've spent a week on an undisclosed lake. We've canoed in and brought all our stuff so there's not really an issue with weight like there would be if we were backpacking. We are hammockers. The trip for 2019 will include two friends from Wisconsin who have never used a hammock before. I'd like to get them set up with a comfortable and warm enough hammock system. Nighttime temperatures go into the 50s so it's by no means a survival situation

I've got: A Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, a 20 degree Yeti, a 0 degree Wooki, a 20 degree EE top quilt and a 40ish degree synthetic top quilt made by Just Bill

My son has: A Warbonnet Eldorado, a 40 degree Incubator, and uses a sleeping bag for a top quilt

Cousin Chris has: A no-name hammock with bug net (it might be a Byer of Maine), a cc foam pad in the hammock for under insulation and a sleeping bag for a top quilt.

Since I don't want to break the bank in order to outfit the two friends from Wisconsin BUT, I'd like their first hammocking experience to be warm, comfortable and positive, I'm looking for suggestions on how I can share my gear. Specifically, do you think there is any way I could loosen the 0 degree Wooki enough so that I could use it without burning up? (The beauty of the Wooki is its set-it-and-forget-it suspension default but, could I override that by adding some cord on one or both ends so that it would hang lower?)

I can make tree straps on the cheap and I've got a coil of Amsteel so I can make up some Whoopi slings. I've got several sleeping bags they can use for top insulation but it's the under quilts I'd like to hear some creative thinking on. (I hate using a foam pad under me in a hammock.) And, speaking of hammocks, is there a decent but inexpensive hammock someone can recommend. Bug netting is a must up there. Thanks for your input.

Of course you can loosen the Wooki to regulate the temperature. I've done that in several hot summer nights and it works really well.
    The question is, how hungry are the mosquitoes? If you lay in a thin single layer hammock, they may fly in between underquilt and hammock and eat you from below.

While YMMV, for me I find that I don't need to tweak a heavier UQ at these temps. It's sufficient to vent just the TQ. A Fronkey style bugnet, if you have access to one, will help avoid "underbites" if you do loosen the UQ. If you sew or have someone who can, you can get remnants from Dutch or Ripstopbytheroll and make a hammock very inexpensively in an hour. There is also a no-sew technique (check out tablecloth hammocks).

++ New Posts ++