WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 21 Day Quest for the 7 Kingdoms

This is a fanciful name for spending 21 days backpacking the 7 main trails in the Citico Creek wilderness in the Tennesse mountains. They are---
    ** Rocky Flats
    ** Crowder Branch up
    ** Fodderstack Ridge (south)
    ** Pine Ridge down
    ** Brush Mt up
    ** South Fork down
    ** North Fork up.

And with two bonus Kingdoms---
    ** Haoe/Jenkins Meadow down
    ** Naked Ground trail up.

Too see all trip pics go here---
    https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...even-Kingdoms/

21 DAY
    QUEST
    FOR THE
    7 KINGDOMS

TRIP 193
    October 16--November 5, 2018

HIGHLIGHTS
    ** THE FIRST KINGDOM OF ROCKY FLATS
    ** TWO YELLOW JACKET STINGS
    ** 43 CREEK CROSSINGS
    ** THE SECOND KINGDOM OF CROWDER BRANCH
    ** THE THIRD KINGDOM OF FODDERSTACK RIDGE
    ** THE FOURTH KINGDOM OF PINE RIDGE
    ** THE FIFTH KINGDOM OF BRUSH MT
    ** 24TH BRUSH MOUNTAIN BACKPACK
    ** ENTERING THE 7TH KINGDOM OF NORTH FORK CITICO
    ** TWO BACKPACKERS ALEX AND CAL ON 7 MILE RIDGE
    ** BONUS KINGDOM 8 DOWN HAOE/JENKINS
    ** BONUS KINGDOM 9 UP NAKED GROUND TRAIL
    ** NATHANIEL AND ALEX TWO BACKPACKERS ON 7 MILE RIDGE
    ** JOEY AND TREY TWO MORE BACKPACKERS ON 7 MILE RIDGE
    ** BACKPACKING OUT WITH KENT AND JOSH
    ** 33 BACKPACKERS SEEN (NONE UNTIL DAY 15---33 BETWEEN DAY 15 AND DAY 20

TRAILS
    Entrance at Beehouse Gap on Citico Creek Road
    Beehouse Roadwalk to Warden's Field
    Up Rocky Flats Trail
    **Ed Abbey Camp on Abbey Creek**
    Rocky Flats Trail
    **Johnny's Spur Camp**
    Rocky Flats
    **Chimney Camp**
    Rocky Flats Out
    Doublecamp Roadwalk
    Crowder Branch Up
    **Crow Horse Camp (2)**
    Fodderstack Ridge Heading South
    Pine Ridge Trail Down
    **Pine Ridge Camp**
    Pine Ridge Down into Warden's Field
    South Fork Trail 105 Up
    **Brush/South Fork Camp**
    Brush Mt Up
    **Audrey Camp**
    Brush Mt Up
    **Brush Mt Gap Camp**
    Brush Mt Up
    Trail 149 to Cold Spring Gap
    South Fork Trail Down
    **Iron Camp**
    South Fork Down
    **White Rock Camp**
    South Fork to North Fork Up
    **North Fork Crossing 2 Camp**
    North Fork Up
    **Blue Rock Camp**
    North Fork Up
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail South
    54A(N) Trail Up to 7 Mile Ridge
    **South Col Camp on Bob Bald**
    7 Mile Ridge East to Haoe Peak
    Haoe Lead Trail Down
    Jenkins Meadow Trail Down
    **Jenks Finger Camp**
    Jenkins Trail Down
    Jenks Upper Connector Trail
    Naked Ground Trail Up
    **Mid Dog Camp**
    Naked Ground Up
    **High Dog Camp**
    Naked Ground Up
    **Landon Camp Naked Ground Gap**
    7 Mile Ridge West
    **Raven Camp Bob Bald**
    54A(S) Down to Cold Gap
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail to Beech Gap
    Hitchhike 2 Miles down Skyway to Jeffrey Hell Trailhead
    Jeffrey Hell Trail Down
    **Frustration Camp**
    Jeffrey Hell Backtrack Up
    Skyway Roadwalk to Grassy Gap and OUT

The first day I get dropped off in the rain on October 16 and hike several miles from Beehouse Gap near Flats Mt and enter Citico wilderness on the Rocky Flats trail, as shown above.

Before the trip I prepared several batches of spaghetti and homedried the wad which provided some great dinners out in the field.

I finish the First Kingdom of Rocky Flats and stop at the trailhead to take some pics. Shown is my new McHale pack in red cordura with yellow spectra top lid and back pocket.

After a short connecting hike I link up to the Second Kingdom of Crowder Branch trail and its trailhead. It's a very steep trail in places and tough with a 90-95 lb pack but I make it.

As I make my way up olde Crow Branch I stop for a brief trail snack of weird finger grapes. Excellent trail food while they last.

This interesting pic shows where Doublecamp Creek on the left merges with Crowder Creek on the right---and this occurs at the Crowder Branch trailhead.

After I finished my Crowder hump of the Second Kingdom and I quickly pass thru the Third Kingdom of Fodderstack Ridge and jct with the Fourth Kingdom of Pine Ridge trail and stop by this Indian Tree for a pic.

Pine Ridge dumps me out on Citico Creek and I swing over the creek and up the South Fork 105 trail to eventually junction with the hardest trail in the Citico---Brush Mt!! It's about a mile up the South Fork trail.

I cross South Fork Creek and head up the rugged and remote Brush Mt trail and reach the first of 7 crossings on Brush Creek. This is my 24th backpack of the Brush.

Past 5 crossings of Brush Creek I reach a favorite reststop area---as the trail is on the right and crosses over to my pack on the slant rock. The trail continues behind the pack and under that blowdown on the left.

After several tough days of hiking and trailwork I reach the top end of the Brush Mt trail here as it junctions Trail 149. I finish the Fifth Kingdom and about to enter the Sixth Kingdom of the South Fork trail, a 9 mile hump that loses about 2,500 feet of elevation.

After a 2 mile connector trail from Brush Mt I reach the top trailhead to South Fork 105---and it's steep heading down with a still-heavy pack.

After I lose a thousand feet on South Fork I set up in Iron Camp and get hit with a typical Autumn rainstorm.

Once I punch out South Fork I start up the North Fork Citico trail and stop by its high footbridge. So begins the Seventh Kingdom.

Images

Johnny's Spur?

whats that off of? Rocky Flats going towards the creek?

The North Fork is another Nut climb and here is the Death Falls about 18 crossings up the creek from the bottom.

Once I finish the North Fork hump I get in Cherry Log Gap and climb several hundred feet up to Bob Bald and swing along 7 Mile Ridge where I see my FIRST BACKPACKERS IN 15 DAYS! They are Alex and Cal from Nashville and we exchange world views etc. Thus begins the Bonus Kingdoms.

7 Mile Ridge takes me to Haoe Peak at 5,240 feet and I drop like a rock into the Kilmer side of the NC wilderness and proceed down the steep Jenkins Meadow trail. I have to stop at this favorite spot for some pics. Check out the neato McHale pack in full splendor. The big red bag is my 8 lb 10 oz tent.

Jenkins Meadow trail dumps me out on the Naked Ground trail which is another 3,000 foot nutbusting climb but first I have to stop at this pretty footbridge along the trail. The NG trail climbs next to Little Santeetlah Creek the whole way.

By Day 18 I'm climbing the tough nut of the NG trail and have to stop here at Indian Rock to rest and takes some pics.

Near the top of the NG trail you hit 8 switchbacks which really help to make the climb easier and I stop on the 7th switchback to enjoy the day and the rocks and the leaves.

I finish the NG trail and end back up on 7 Mile Ridge and run into these BMT section hikers pulling a 27 mile trek from Tellico River to Tapoco Lodge. They are Trey and Joey.

Being that this trip is a Pre-Winter trip---I get some cold nights at around 24F and even see some ice falling off the trees on 7 Mile Ridge.

My last couple nights are spent around Bob Bald where I run into these backpackers from Gastonia NC. It's cold and windy, perfect conditions for Urine's Truly, Uncle Fungus.

As mentioned, I didn't see any backpackers for the first 15 days of the trip---but from Day 15 to Day 20 I see 33!!! Here is Josh from Maryville TN, a good sort who knows the same people I know at the Little River outfitting store.

On Day 20 I backpack off the Bob with Josh and his friends and we reach Beech Gap where I hitch a ride to the Jeffrey Hell trailhead and hike it down to this spot for my last night.

On Day 21 I backtrack up the Jeffrey Hell trail and stop by the new Kiosk and hike about 4 miles to my Evac point and wait for my shuttle ride out. A great trip, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Johnny's Spur?
    whats that off of? Rocky Flats going towards the creek?
    There are several creeks on the 4+ mile Rocky Flats trail. The first one (from Warden's Field) is Abbey Creek. The second is Laurel Creek. The third is Rocky Flats Branch which is next to the old chimney homestead.

Johnny's Spur is the campsite just off the trail and just above Laurel Creek. Here's a pic---

They look like like Moon Drop but Sweet Sapphire long black grapes are good too(sweeter). Grapes are typically highly sprayed with an assortment of chemicals. I assume you seek organic grapes.

I wish I could keep track of all this Tipi.

Images

There are several creeks on the 4+ mile Rocky Flats trail. The first one (from Warden's Field) is Abbey Creek. The second is Laurel Creek. The third is Rocky Flats Branch which is next to the old chimney homestead.

Johnny's Spur is the campsite just off the trail and just above Laurel Creek. Here's a pic---

the one im thinking about is-----coming from crowders side----where rocky flats makes a hard left and the old railroad bed keeps going out towards citico creek and the road is across the creek...

if one doesnt take the hard left to keep going on rocky flats and goes towards citico creek------theres a nice little campsite i stayed at down there.............could see the road and have road traffic but those people would have to cross citico creek.....

the one im thinking about is-----coming from crowders side----where rocky flats makes a hard left and the old railroad bed keeps going out towards citico creek and the road is across the creek...
    if one doesnt take the hard left to keep going on rocky flats and goes towards citico creek------theres a nice little campsite i stayed at down there.............could see the road and have road traffic but those people would have to cross citico creek.....
    The old Rocky Flats trail used to keep going here and reach Citico Creek---I think there used to be a long ago footbridge over the creek.

They rerouted the trail on that sharp left turn you mention and up a ridge spine over to Warden's Field by the low water bridge.

This pic shows the Rocky Flats trail on the right and looking towards the old logging cut you mention---now obliterated by old blowdowns---while the trail itself turns left over these two blowdowns and climbs up to the left onto a rocky spine.

This is that rocky spine with Citico Creek far below to the left in the pic. This is looking back down the spine towards your "left turn" which in this direction would be a right turn.

Images

yeah...

thats the turn....

i kinda thought that the trail might have gone out to the road from there.......

interesting....

and yeah......there's a campsite near the creek..............and then even before the left turn, down to the right i thought i saw a good spot down there as well...

Images

picture 172 makes me sad and mad....

cant believe people are destroying those ones as well....

picture 172 makes me sad and mad....

cant believe people are destroying those ones as well....
    Even with a good paper map it would be hard to find McNabb Creek trail---since the trailpost is mostly invisible.

Check out the wonderful trailpost pointing out the Hemlock Creek trailhead---and McNabb's sister trail---

Images

Check out the wonderful trailpost pointing out the Hemlock Creek trailhead---and McNabb's sister trail---

i came out that way using mcnabb to start the loop...

i loved hiking and spending the night (minus the night i spent near the road with the locals) along those 6 trails that are on that side of the skyway...

and most of the time, i found those trailheads just by dumb luck knowing the general area to look and maybe finding a ribbon or the sign....

i came out that way using mcnabb to start the loop...

i loved hiking and spending the night (minus the night i spent near the road with the locals) along those 6 trails that are on that side of the skyway...

and most of the time, i found those trailheads just by dumb luck knowing the general area to look and maybe finding a ribbon or the sign....
    The bottom trailheads of these trails on North River are much easier to find than the top trailheads off the Skywad.

Images

The bottom trailheads of these trails on North River are much easier to find than the top trailheads off the Skywad.

yeah....

i meant to put that in my other post....

which, in a way, surprises me----as i think the lower end has alot more on foot or slower traffic as opposed to people hauling across the skyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Being that this trip is a Pre-Winter trip---I get some cold nights at around 24F and even see some ice falling off the trees on 7 Mile Ridge.
    This must be a pretty tricky step-down with ice. Slipped in this spot on a mossy covered rock, not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    This must be a pretty tricky step-down with ice. Slipped in this spot on a mossy covered rock, not fun.
    This is most especially true when carrying a 75 lb to 95 lb pack!! With such weight over the years I've learned the important Art of Careful Boot Placement---to avoid falling at all costs. Later in the season I'll start carrying my Kahtoola microspikes.

But my Asolo Fugitives got me thru the ice a-okay---

++ New Posts ++