WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Snow and ice crampons

Hey guys new to the Forum, I'm looking for a good set of crampons for the Winter any advice?
    Thanks
    Bill

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Legitimate crampons? The most common is probably the Black Diamond Sabretooth. They've been around forever and you can find them cheap used. I paid $40 for mine, and a friend found a brand new old stock pair for $80.

If you're looking for something a little less aggressive, check out Kahtoola Microspikes.

Lol, those are Legitimate for sure... Looking for something a little less meaningful..
    The micro spikes is something more like I'm looking for..
    Thanks

Hillsound trail crampons. People lose microspikes all the time.

Yep,, that would b me :/

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Hillsound trail crampons. People lose microspikes all the time.
    Are you sure you're not mixing Microspikes with Yak Trax?

There's a decent discussion on Backpacking Light about Microspikes versus Hillsound Trail Crampons here:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...ola-vs-others/

Honestly, if I was in the market now based on that commentary, it would be a toss up. The Hillsound's would be very appealing. I've been happy with my Microspikes to date, however.

Thanks guys! I will look into them both.

The big problem with microspikes in Southeast snowstorms is they are UNUSABLE in wet snow of any depth. Would be better to just stay in your boots with lug soles.

What's the problem? The Kahtoolas pick up about 5 lb globs of wet snow under each foot and you won't be going far---and needing to dislodge this snow every couple steps.

Microspikes are perfect though on icy trails or with chutes of solid ice or in very dry snow in very low temps. I still carry them for all my winter trips in the mountains of TN/NC but have learned the hard way when to remove them and use just boots.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Are you sure you're not mixing Microspikes with Yak Trax?
    Those, too.

It kind of depends on what kind of boots you have and what kind of conditions you anticipate needing them for. If you have a winter boot which has provisions for step in crampons, that's the way to go.

Otherwise, microspikes are a good choice. Not exactly light weight and kind of bulky, but are effective on packed snow and ice. So long as your not on a real steep trail. If you need to side step up a steep incline, the microspikes tend to roll off the side of the boot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you wear trail shoes, test them to make sure they do not pinch your toes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis on the Trail View Post
    If you wear trail shoes, test them to make sure they do not pinch your toes up.
    Part of winter backpacking is using footwear that's stout enough to not only accept Microspikes but dry enough to allow shallow boot crossings in butt cold creeks.

TRIP 153 250-L.jpg
    A decent fabric/leather boot is good with microspikes---no toe cramping.

Trip 190 (158)-XL.jpg
    Plus a good gtx leather boot can perform this function without getting your socks wet---and of course easily accepts Kahtoolas.

Location. Location. Location!
    Where and when you plan to use them matter.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Part of winter backpacking is using footwear that's stout enough to not only accept Microspikes but dry enough to allow shallow boot crossings in butt cold creeks.

A decent fabric/leather boot is good with microspikes---no toe cramping.

Plus a good gtx leather boot can perform this function without getting your socks wet---and of course easily accepts Kahtoolas.
    There are plenty of use cases that call for micro spikes but don't require boots.

Need to be more specific about your use. Kahtoola Microspikes are great-in their element. How they are in snow probably depends on the snow, just like how they get along with your footwear depends on how they gel with a particular shoe or boot.
    I know this..I rented Kahtoolas after destroying some Yaktrax(literally in minutes) on an early spring trip to Utah, *jogged* down Walter's Wiggles at Zion with a pack on with 3" of solid ice on the trail after being alone on Angel's Landing when it was covered in ice and snow, and bought a pair when returning the rentals the next day.
    I like to chase waterfalls in cold weather, and they've been great on ice-covered rock, log bridges covered in ice, things like that.
    FB_IMG_1542268653956.jpgFB_IMG_1542268670713.jpg

If the snow condition is dry, micro-spikes are going to be a problem on ice. Crampons have adequate bite into the snow. Micro-spikes will slide on inclines and side hills. Not talking about 'wet' snow here, dry snow on ice.

I do a lot of hiking in the whites in winter conditions. The Kahtoola's are very popular and for packed snow/minor ice they are good as long as they fit right. They are the simple choice. Hilldsound makes couple of variations. One, Freestep 6 is a clone of the Kahtoolas, the next step up is ones I use which are their trail crampons. They are nice step up from the Kahtoola design as they have some small plates with spikes that tend to dig into hard ice better and they have the velcro strap over the top of the shoe. With Kahtoolas you tend to try to avoid hard flow ice but with Hillsounds you dont have to. Anyone with Kahtoolas has found that on occasion they get snagged and will pull off while heading downslope. It easy to miss until you are well down the trail. The Velcro strap pretty well eliminates that issue. I actually have Hillsounds strap on my Kahtoolas. It also pulls the the chains tighter to the boot. Both Kahtoolas and Hillsounds are sold in a limited range of sizes and they may or may not fit the boot well so the strap helps. The way to ruin them is to allow the chains to hang loose from the bottom of the shoe and to allow the rubber to slide down around the edge of the soul of the boot. When walking in rocky areas the rubber will get pinched between the side of a rock and the sole and it may get damaged. The trick is have the rubber ride up a bit so its slightly inset from the widest part of the sole. The trade off with Hillsounds trail crampons is that they do "ball" up with snow slightly quicker than Kahtoolas. When I am in on a group hike I am usually the first person to notice balling and the balls can really stick to the fixed plates. Inevitably once I start noticing it the Kahtoolas are soon to follow. In my opinion the Hillsounds trail crampon pro is overkill for general winter hiking. I inadvertently one day left my Grivel G-10 crampons home on a winters day and climbed Mt Washington in the winter up Ammonusuc Ravine trail and then went over to Mt Jefferson and back again with a pair of the regular Hillsound trail crampons. Note if balling is an issue, crampons even with the antiballing plates tend to ball up worse than microspikes.

The other difference between Kahtoolas and Hillsounds is that Hillsound welds far more of their links shut, Kahtoolas are mostly crimped and can bend open. I recomend that before using them in the fall to go over the links and bend any open ones.

Both varieties will wear out eventually, the traction cleats will wear out and occasionally the eyelets in the rubber will tear (usually because folks dont have them snugged up).

One major warning is there a look alike fake versions of the Kahtoolas on Amazon. They look the same but the rubber is generally poor quality and will rip out the eyelets in cold conditions. If you are going to use microspikes, dont waste your money unless you are just using them for shoveling and going to the mailbox. I just use my worn out Kahtoolas for that service.

++ New Posts ++