Default Best 1-2 week section?

Hi folks, I'm going to visit family and friends in Florida the week before Christmas, and it looks like I'm not going to be starting my new post-AT-thru-hike job until mid-January, so I'm thinking about staying and hiking a week or two on the FT after Christmas. Thoughts on the best section for this? The starting point can be remote because I'll have a ride to wherever it is, but ideally the end point would be somewhat accessible to an airport, either via shuttles, uber, etc. What areas have the best scenery, least road-walking, etc? Am I right to assume that I'll be able to cover the same mileage as on the AT? (I presume the trail is a lot easier than the AT, but also my trail legs will be two months gone.)

Also, how populated should I expect the trail to be? I am comfortable alone, but I prefer to see other hikers some of the time. And finally, what guidebook or guide app do you recommend?

Thanks!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

1. Much of the Florida Trail in the Florida Panhandle is closed due to hurricane damage. This includes the Apalachicola National Forest.
    2. Consider hiking the sections passing through the Ocala National Forest or along the Suwannee River. Both are great. There are also some WMAs further south that are pretty nice.
    3. There is a Guthook Florida Trail app that is great and just about essential. There is a recent FT app by the Florida Trail Association but I haven't played around with it yet.
    4. There are two guidebooks. One is from the FTA, the other is by Sandra Friend. Both are available at the FTA store: http://ftashop.floridatrail.org/florida-trail/
    5. The trail will likely be all yours during the week, you might run into some day or weekend hikers on the weekends.

Enjoy your hike!

Thanks so much, that's super helpful! I'm leaning Ocala. Looking forward to briefly living out of my backpack again. Been day-hiking a lot here in VA since finishing my thru-hike six weeks ago, but haven't convinced my Floridian self to do anything overnight with temps in the 20s and 30s. I managed it on my thru-hike, but I'm not very motivated when I don't "have" to.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

I did 2 days in Ocala this week. One thing to know is that primitive camping follows general backcountry rules....except right now in hunting season. You can only stay in Juniper Springs, Hidden Pond or one other site i believe. FT was gorgeous and I'm planning a return one day. However, as someone used to the AT it was definitely different. From water sources, to snakes hanging on bushes, to a lack of other hikers, totally different experiences.

With two weeks you could do Rodman Dam to Crystal Lake in ONF. As Huntmog mentioned, you'll have to stay in established CGs during hunt season. Only hidden pond is allowed in the BC but many hikers camp in other areas of Juniper wilderness as no hunting is allowed in that area.

Suwannee & Ocala are my favorite sections. We’ve sectioned home about 600 miles of the Florida Trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++