WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Road closings and Crossing the Smokeys during the winter.

It is important to put out there... route 144 that crosses from the south of the park to Gatlinburg and intersects Newfound Gap is usually closed and the gate locked during the winter. The park does not ice that road. If you need emergent care, it is a good idea to call the park (number in AWOL) and let them know to unlock the gate so an ambulance can get through. Also, if coming down from Mt. Collins shelter, Clingmans dome road is almost always closed so it is a 5 mile hike to the Newfound Gap trail head.

Cheers

Images

slight correction-----newfound gap road is 441............its a state road...

also-----while the Park does not use salt on a majority of their roads (like newfound gap road)----they do use sand........

Images

intersects Newfound Gap is usually closed and the gate locked during the winter.

and this should be rephrased to say---"newfound gap road is usually open during the winter, unless conditions determine a need to close it"

Or you’re bound from Athens, GA to Columbus, OH in April and you want to drive across the park. As you approach the entrance from Cherokee, NC a few snowflakes begin falling. About 100 yards from the entrance you watch the gate closing.
    Needless to say, the detour through Maggie Valley and I-40 wasn’t as nice.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    slight correction-----newfound gap road is 441............its a state road...

also-----while the Park does not use salt on a majority of their roads (like newfound gap road)----they do use sand........
    actually 441 is a US highway

I have driven on snow pack most of the way from Sugarlands to a little beyond Newfound Gap then clear on into Cherokee, a Ranger was closing the gate just as I got to the park boundary on the Cherokee side.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Michele "Artemis" Rosa: "The park does not ice that road."

do you mean DE-ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Or you’re bound from Athens, GA to Columbus, OH in April and you want to drive across the park. As you approach the entrance from Cherokee, NC a few snowflakes begin falling. About 100 yards from the entrance you watch the gate closing.
    Needless to say, the detour through Maggie Valley and I-40 wasn’t as nice.
    Wayne
    Although going east through Maggie Valley and I40 is MUCH nicer than going west on the Dragon's Tail road. I get extremely nauseous on that road. Been on it twice. Third time will not be the charm as there will be no third time.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    Michele "Artemis" Rosa: "The park does not ice that road."

do you mean DE-ice?

Maybe that's the new trick to removing the annoying bears?

Ice the road (with their favorite flavor of icing - probably the one used on bear claws ) and that draws them away from the campers?

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Although going east through Maggie Valley and I40 is MUCH nicer than going west on the Dragon's Tail road. I get extremely nauseous on that road. Been on it twice. Third time will not be the charm as there will be no third time.
    I’ll never drive from Newport, TN to Asheville, or the reverse, again.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

I am pretty sure that she was referring to Clingmans Dome Access Road. That is the road that is closed from Dec thru April every year.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++