WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hawaii

Default Hawaii

Heading to Hawaii in March for my first time. We will have lots of time on Maui and Kauai and I'm looking for day hikes and snorkeling opportunities. Anything else we should see as well.

Thanks wb!

On Maui start here: https://activityauthority.com/top-maui-hikes/
    Add in Acid Rocks in West Maui
    I don't think you should prioritize Kaupo Gap as it really isn't a day hike or Polipolli because it doesn't showcase the best hiking Maui has to offer. Wai'anapanapa SP has that lovely black sand beach and roaring waves coastal segment. Do it on the way to Hana. Short hike but cool is STEEP Red Sand Beach near Hana the same day. Stay in Hana or the NP at Oheeo Gulch CG. Do the Pipiwai the next day.

Generally divide up your day hikes into east or west Maui. Do the hikes depending on what side of the island you're located. For West Maui do Acid Rocks and maybe Waihe'e at the same time. FWIW Maui was two islands with west Maui being older. It's like, two peas in a pod where the peas have joined by a saddle like lowland in between. It's like something else too but I dont want to offend. Anyway a Figure 8 road goes along the coasts and in between. Utilizing this info helps orient your driving and getting around making the most of your time. There's so much to experience. You don't want to nor can you experience the majority of the best of HI looking out through a window or windshield.

On Kaua'i start with: https://www.journeyera.com/best-hikes-kauai-hawaii/
    A somewhat circular island but the road is only C shaped meaning it's pt to pt. It takes hrs and hrs to go from one pt and back! Again, generally divide up the hikes into sides. This may all seem intuitive 'Duh' but it can make a difference in making the most of your time on these two islands! FWIW, I lived in Kapa'a for six yrs traveling alot for work and play.

For a longer 9.? mile day hike without the mobs but with elevation change to some spectacular overlooks at Koke'e one can go down the Nu'alolo Tr across to the Awa'awapuhi Tr(like the shampoo and cosmetics ingredient that comes from a HI plant) via the stunning Nu'alolo Cliffs Tr. Do this with an early start before the sun gets hot. Bring water although on the NF Tr there has always been a small stream I drink from. Of course, take in the stunning Pu'u o Kila Lookout and walk the Pihea Tr to the Pihea Vista(this is a bit less traveled than the vehicle tethered toursist area around the Lokkout. One can stay up at the Koke'e Lodge. Look around. Spend all day up here. You'll find Redwoods growing. It's cooler at this elev. Don't hike all the way to Waiapo'o
    Falls. Be content with the further away look from the lookouts around mile 13
    https://www.hawaii-guide.com/files/e..._trail_map.pdf

In response to the falls pic I've been to Hanikapai'ai Falls dozens of times on the Kalalau Tr on the other end of the C shaped main road. Only once arriving at 2 a.m. during a full moon did I have the base pool to myself. It's one of the biggest eco wannabe Kaua'i tourist's destinations. The parking lot is a haven for tourist vehicle break-ins, so much so there is usually a FT LEO or two stationed here. If you do it go EARLY and preferably not in rain. Top it off with eats in Hanalei and a hand in hand stroll with the SO to the end of Hanalei Bay Pier. It's a good spot to catch surfers and sunsets.

I think it good to choose day hikes because in HI great scenery is never far.

Snorkeling opps abound. I suppose like most HI visitors you'll be renting equipment from one of the many shops. When you do they offer sites and descriptions. Most times morning snorkeling before the wind picks up is best.

If you do a trip do the morning Molokini Crater snorkeling gig.

On Kauai, the Kalalau Trail, including Hanakapai'ai waterfall, remain closed after a devastating flood event several months ago. Most likely, it still will not be open next March. It will probably remain closed for nearly a year.

For good info on trails statewide, check out HawaiiTrails.org. Maintained by the State, it has info on all State-maintained trails. Good driving directions and trail descriptions, but their maps need work.

Are you looking to day hike, or do an overnighter? Just about the only place to home and camp for a few days is inside the crater at Haleakala National Park. You can do a loop though the crater, or exit down Kaupo Gap (with harder logistics).

I live on Maui, so feel free to message me with more specific questions or updated trail info.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

pick a trail close to a dormant volcano

Thanks all!

On Maui, don't miss the bicycle ride from the top of the volcano to the beach. And check out the "General Aviation" side of the airport. You can rent an entire plane and PLAY PILOT for less than the cost of a helicopter ride. The "Instructor" acts as your personal tour guide!

I was on Maui 34 years ago, but hopefully, not too much has changed.

Definitely drive the Hana Hwy as far as you dare go (beware, at some point your rental car insurance may not be valid). But you can definitely make it to the Seven Pools of Ohe'o (the ocean-front section of Haleakala NP). From there you can explore the short nature trails along the coast and the pools. We also enjoyed the hike through the rain forest up the valley to a couple of waterfalls on the Pipiwai Trail.

Dogwood suggested Wai'anapanapa SP. Nice hikes on black lava along the shore with blowholes and black sand beaches, but beware. I did this in sandals without sunscreen and got a horrible sunburn on my feet and ankles. It almost ruined my trip.

Not so much a day hike, but a worthwhile adventure is a trip to the Red Sand Beach in Hana. This really is a most epic (albeit small) beach. Take the side road that runs through "downtown" Hana (Other than the Highway, this is really the only road in town that is parallel to the Hwy along the coast). Go to the south end of town past the community center and ball field. When the road comes to a dead end at the gated entrance to the resort, turn left and walk across the field behind the community center. There may not be any parking on this narrow dead end street so you could park a couple of block away and walk in. Look for a path that goes to the ocean. You may find the old Japanese cemetery too. Once you get to the shore, turn left and just follow the coast (ocean on your right side). After you come around the point, the beach will be in the cove in front of you. The trail is not officially maintained so it is hard to say what condition it will be in. You may find some washed out sections or places where you are on a ledge above the waves crashing on the rocks below. As long as you follow the coast you can't get lost and the total distance is less than 1/4 mile from the road.

Eat at Mama's Fish House. If Ono is on the menu, order it. If it isn't, ask.

You should drive up to the top of Haleakala for views of the crater. Hiking down into the crater would probably be epic, but we did not do that. It is a long way down and you have no choice but to hike back up, so be aware. Also be advised that it can be quite chilly at 10,000 ft. We saw lots of freezing tourists in beach attire. What we did is hike the Halemau'u Trail (trailhead parking on the road up to the crater at around the 8000' elevation level). From there you hike along the side of the volcano with terrific views of the whole island below you. It's a rocky barren landscape with many of the rare Silversword plants, some blooming. After a mile or so you get to the crater rim with a great view of the crater. The viewpoint is right at the gap in the crater rim that opens to the ocean 8000 ft below. From there you can continue hiking as far down into the crater as you wish, or turn around. We didn't go past the crater overlook, but it was here that I had the best wildlife experience of my life. The Nene, or Hawaiian Goose, is the state birdof Hawaii. They only live on the upper elevations of Maui and the big island. At one point they were on the brink of extinction. When we were there, they had recovered to a population of few hundred in the wild. Still, we knew the chance of seeing one was slim. I was standing at the crater overlook. In the early afternoon, warm air from the ocean rises up the mountain to form clouds that pour into the crater through the gap a thousand feet below the viewpoint. I was captivated by this unbelievable view when I heard an odd noise. I looked down at my feet and found I was standing in the middle of an entire flock of Nene. Having evolved on an island with no predators, the Nene had no fear of humans so they just stand there, so close I almost stepped on them. I did a quick survey and determined I was standing in the middle of 5% of the world's wild Nene population.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I agree with everything that Odd Man Out suggests, though I've never done done the Red Sand Beach hike in Hana. I also never biked down Haleakala--it cut into my diving time.

If you are comfortable snorkeling, take one of the snorkeling trips to Molokini Crater. It's like swimming in a fishbowl. A bit off-topic, but if you are a scuba diver, you have found nirvana. As an experienced New England diver, my first dive in the Hawaiian Islands sort of ruined it for diving back home. The visibility is simply incredible. From 180' down I could still see the props on the boat.

I completely understand those people who move there and never leave.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Thanks for the fredback!

Don't focus on general all over every island hiking books or sites. That approach is too general and generality often comes with it the masses and beaten down hikes. While on Maui focus in on Maui hiking websites and books. Same with Kauai.

First timers to Maui, even though touristy should experience a clear weather Haleakala summit sunrise. Follow it up with a day hike in Haleakala NP or Pollipoli or bike ride down. If you anticipate wanting to bicycle down Haleakala from the summit parking lot you can either do it with a company where everything is provided but is organized according to the company's eco agenda(single file, with crowds, scheduled stops, little impromptu on the fly stops, etc) OR, and my preferred way, is to rent or use my own bike and get shuttled to the top riding back to my car. It's almost entirely a 10k ft elev change coast downhill but on narrow 2 lanes for much of it! The vehicle traffic while being on a bike in those conditions CAN SUCK! Most of the all inclusive bike companies leave right after sunrise which is also when most of the vehicled summit sunrise seekers also leave. I like waiting until an hr or two after sunrise and the sunrise seeking tourons have left in their vehicles. I like breaking it up with stop at Kula Lodge for a macadamia nut and guava nectar pancake late b'fast w/POG or delish Maui grown coffee or brick oven pizza for lunch wandering the lodge's gardens and the nearby Protea flower farm.

Drive around and stop occasionally all of West Maui. It's less crowded especially after you're past Lahaina or Kaanaplai than East Maui around Kihei, Kahaluhi, and on the road to Hana. I strongly rec you don't get a late start if driving all the way to Hana in one shot. Get a 5-6 am start. A far better itinerary is breaking the drive up and taking advantage of the numerous short day hikes and scenic sites on and off the road to Hana NOT available when looking out through a windshield. FWIW, there are many celebrities and people of wealth and fame that live off the road to Hana. I often bump into them and have conversations.

Although high end touristy among gorgeous high end resorts a beautiful but not solitudinous spot to catch an iconic Hawiian Maui sunset is on the paved beach path on the Kaanapali beach front fronting the resorts. The sun sets between the islands of Lanai and Molokai and in March there should be whales in the Kalohi and Auau Channels.

When I want less touristy destinations I go to Lanai and Molokai taking the ferry from Lahaina. It's easier on those islands to get glimpses of old HI. Just doing a day excursion to Lanai City and having lunch in on the grass under the tall Norfolk Island Pines and doing some day hikes one gets a real feel for old HI. It's slower paced.

++ New Posts ++