Hello guys, out there in the wild and unpredictable internet,

new member Paulinho asking something that numerous hours of WB-reading and YT-watching didn't answer.

Wondering what it'd be like if you're sitting at a campfire and chat in your own (foreign) language. Talking straight: Personally, I don't like it. Whenever I'm hosting foreign people, mostly due to business relations, be it in a restaurant, a pub or at home, I ask everyone to talk English so that the conversation does not exclude a single person. Even if someone's not 100% savy with English, which still happens over here in Germany (count me in), it's a question of being polite. We all know - for example - the situation when a good joke has hit and the only one who didn't get it was you. You feel uncomfortable - and it grows the more fun 'them' have.

To make a long story short: Am I right to assume that bringing a friend to the AT who doesn't know English at all is somewhat problematic for all parties? For him, being an outsider due to lack of language skills, for us two, obviously needing to talk in our own language quite often and thus come across as non-social, and eventually for you, thinking there are some unaware aliens sitting at the campfire?