WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have heard of lady hikers who sleep in nightgowns in warm weather. They are lightweight and cool. I’ve thought about it, but wonder if it would freak people out to see a woman walking around at 3 am in a nightgown.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I have heard of lady hikers who sleep in nightgowns in warm weather. They are lightweight and cool. I’ve thought about it, but wonder if it would freak people out to see a woman walking around at 3 am in a nightgown.
    Only if she has an axe.

I got a phobia about women in nightgowns with an axe in middle of night.

I picked this up along the trail. "Ass out" means looks away, "Ass in" means all is clear. Works for both genders... and you better not be slow to turn away.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only if she has an axe.

I got a phobia about women in nightgowns with an axe in middle of night.
    (character minimum)
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Met a girl on the PCT this year who hiked in a big floaty dress. "I CAN STAND UP TO PEE" was her victory cry.

At 3 am most folks will be asleep and if they hear someone getting up at that hour they know why and will generally just roll over and ignore it. My experience is the great majority of folks are decent people and will respect your privacy.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Exactly. A friend of mine did something similar, she said, "guys I'm changing, this is happening, look away or not." And then changed. As noted, most people will simply turn away for the 30s it takes to swap clothes.
    On one outdoor forum, a river guide commented that on the river, often you can't get privacy, you need to give it to others (and vice versa).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I am 68. Over the last few years I seem to have become invisible to younger folks especially women. That saves me extreme cramps from trying to suck in my stomach in front of them which they can not see anyway. When I look in the mirror I see Errol Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    I am 68. Over the last few years I seem to have become invisible to younger folks especially women. That saves me extreme cramps from trying to suck in my stomach in front of them which they can not see anyway. When I look in the mirror I see Errol Flynn.
    Good one, gramps.
    It is what it is.

My experience is that nobody cares...at all. I clearly remember my first long distance hike where I was staying at a hostel with people I had just met. An early / mid 20s girl came out of the shower wearing just a towel and she was shockingly pretty cleaned up compared to on the trail. She sat down, had a conversation, whatever, no one cared that she was just in a towel. On the trail, no one really cares for sure. People walk around in their underwear all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I picked this up along the trail. "Ass out" means looks away, "Ass in" means all is clear. Works for both genders... and you better not be slow to turn away.
    our experience was similar, but with a different noun. It may sound more sophomoric, but “Wiener out” achieved the same results.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++