WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY, EARL SHAFFER! - November 8, 2018

Today would have been Earl Shaffer's 100th birthday.
    2018 also marks the 70th anniversary of that famous first thru-hike and the 20th anniversary of his big 50 year anniversary hike. It's also the 50th anniversary of the National Trails Systems Act!

To celebrate this auspicious year in Trail history, the Earl Shaffer Foundation is launching a new book of Earl's wonderful poetry, "Not Too Distant Trails."
    This book contains over 90 poems about hiking, nature and the Appalachian Trail and over 50 beautiful photos of sights all up and down the Appalachian Trail from GA to ME, many taken by Earl during his 1948 and 1998 hikes.

You can learn more about the book and how to purchase a copy by visiting the www.EarlShaffer.com website.

NTDT cover Nov5.jpg

Thank you for letting us know.

His book is fascinating - it covers an AT in the south that is much different that today's. There's the Mount Oglethorpe section and the Pinacles of the Dan. No Damascus or Grayson Highland nor, if I remember correctly, Roan Highlands.

And the reason for his hike is especially noteworthy.

I may take a hike today to celebrate. I'll pour out a little Gatorade in his honor.

Dan, you so get it! This collection of poems has many that reflect on his "Whys" with remarkable eloquence. We think some of these poems are the finest in his entire collection. That's sayin' something! We've got photos of his from the Mt Oglethorpe monument and a sketch he did of the Pinnacles of the Dan, as it was known then. There are lots of notes in the book to accompany his poems, providing information about the things he talks about in the poetry.

Thanks for your interest. Please let others know about this book; we want everyone to see it!

Good for you; Earl would heartily endorse that method of celebration! Have a great little hike!

++ New Posts ++