WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommend 100-150 mile section hike in NM?

Can someone recommend a 100-150 mile, week-ish long section hike in NM?

Cumbres Pass. SOBO. The first 3 miles or so are in Colorado.
    Use the free online CDT maps to figure out where to stop. Or the Guthook app.
    Wayne

On my CDT SOBO I enjoyed some 80+ miles in Malpais National Monument. It included lave tube and cave explorations. It was mostly volcanic in nature but I like that stuff as I do it elsewhere. It was made easier with Ley's CDT NM mapset. Knowing the way Guthook's apps are set up I'm strongly guessing the CDT alternates arent included that made these miles possible with helpful notes as Ley's maps.

Venchka's option is good too but I'd start on the CDT further north into CO if you haven't already experienced this part of the CDT. Maybe starting from Molas Pass area(CDT can be accessed via the CT by the train here) or CT West via Twin Lakes at Hwy 82.

FWIW, if you're heading to NM from RI with access to a vehicle no way would I do all 100-150 on the NM CDT! I'd diversify!!! You're in a prime area to mix it up from Santa Fe all the way into Eastern AZ. Bandelier, Canyon de Chelly,Chaco Canyon, Gila Wilderness/Cliff Dwellings, Petrified Forest NP, Grand Enchantment Tr from the eastern terminus at Sandia Peak(take the tram up hike back down!), Pecos Wilderness,....

All these hikes are weather or seasonally influenced.

Putting my 3 cts in here but entirely too many that have it in their ability too often, often for the sake of utmost convenience, relegate themselves to 100-150 miles or ? nights in one area or on one trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Putting my 3 cts in here but entirely too many that have it in their ability too often, often for the sake of utmost convenience, relegate themselves to 100-150 miles or ? nights in one area or on one trail.
    It's their hike.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Another option of course is the Gila.
    Good stuff.
    Much of NM is desert hiking or roadwalking, but the Gila and the above suggestion of Cumbres pass southbound is probably the best of the rest in NM.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Can someone recommend a 100-150 mile, week-ish long section hike in NM?
    Are you committed to the CDT? As Wayne mentioned the Cumbres Pass SOBO would give you some great scenery and diversity.

If you are open to off CDT check out Brett Tucker's Northern New Mexico Loop. You could put together a 100-150 mile stretch that coincides with the CDT section mentioned by Wayne, or a jaunt through the Pecos Wilderness, or a ramble across the Sangre de Cristos and the NM high point, or a stroll through the historic Bandelier and Jemez regions. That part of NM has solid public transportation so logistics would be easy to figure out. Depending on what you are looking for scenery wise the NNML has it covered.

The Gila is as unique as it is spectacular but may get repetitive after crossing the river 100 times, probably a better 2-3 day trip.

Thanks for the info guys.

++ New Posts ++