WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hunt for History, 1939 vintage film of GSMNP

WBIR television in Knoxville has a video of color 16mm film from 1939. http://www.wbir.com/news/local/hunt-...hunt/610715924.

Granville Hunt shot the film with hand held camera. He was instrumental in blazing the route of the AT in the park.

Images

thanks....

that's the station i work for and have seen Jim's stories on Hunt...

should be more tomorrow and this week, if i'm correct.....

That was cool. How exciting it must have been to hike the AT through the Smokies back then. Very few cars, parking lots, people, human loving bears, and rigid hiking plans.

Images

Wow!!!!!!!!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    So.... what is penoile? Google isn't helpful and apparently believes me to be looking for food to cure....ahem.....a soft subject. Someone help while I clear out my search history.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    So.... what is penoile? Google isn't helpful and apparently believes me to be looking for food to cure....ahem.....a soft subject. Someone help while I clear out my search history.
    I'm guessing it's "pinole"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinole

Images

Found this:

Commercial products Authentic pinole can occasionally be found in rural markets throughout Mexico and Central America. It is generally made by hand and sold as a powder in burlap pouches. A sugar-heavy, mass-market version can also sometimes be found in Latin American supermarkets under brands such as Don Julio. A premium version of pinole that is said to mimic the original Aztec variety is produced and distributed by Native State Foods, a Santa Monica-based company, under the brand name Purely Pinole and can be found in major retailers, such as Whole Foods, Wegmans, and others.In fall 2017, Azure Foods Ltd successfully raised funds through a Kickstarter[10] and will soon launch Peak Pinole[11], the first energy bars made of pinole. Azure is also the first distributor of pinole in Europe, sourced from indigenous farmers in Puebla, Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Found this:......
    Thanks! And just to bump thread to the top. Love to not only find out something food related (occupational interest) but also love to see historical reference to it, not just some guru touting the benefits of some obscure magical ingredient.

I'm now interested in how they would be able to keep a dry powder from the elements while being on the move through the mountains. Pemmican and jerky are no brainers, but to over simplify, cornmeal sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Mason jars? Waxed canvas sack? A leather pouch well designed?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    I'm now interested in how they would be able to keep a dry powder from the elements while being on the move through the mountains.
    I can't give you an exact quote/cite, but I do know back in the 30s and 40s many food stuffs came in Tins with pry off or screw off lids. If keeping things like coffee, meals, flour, powders, matches etc. was an issue for hikers at that time - they could have a used these types of tins.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

++ New Posts ++