WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Carry Tent or not in Smokies

Afternoon, yes I know it is NOT permitted. So do I even need to bring it? I see on the reservation page (which I already have mine) not many hikers coming through in next few days. I was told by many people if you set it up, you will be hiked out. So, my mind keeps saying don't bring, illegal to use. Thoughts from your experiences?

Thanks,

Bring a tarp, and only use it if you are hurt between shelters, or a shelter somehow comes up full. It's a pound, more or less.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Agreed... you need to always carry some sort of shelter in case something happens and you can't make it to the next shelter... especially since there is going to be cold and perspiration in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Agreed... you need to always carry some sort of shelter in case something happens and you can't make it to the next shelter... especially since there is going to be cold and perspiration in the forecast.
    Autocorrect strikes again!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know about you... but when I go hiking in GSMNP, it seems like I perspire regardless of the temps

Images

i have a thing about not carrying gear i wouldnt be allowed to use anyway.

that said, you do need an in case of emergency plan. to some that might mean carrying the tent anyway.

I have walked the AT thru the smokies 2.5 times. I have sometimes brought a cuben tarp, other times I have brought nothing. I have never had issues with the shelter being full. I have however seen thru hikers sleep on the dirt floor of the shelter with no problems. That being said, if the shelter WAS full, the floor is still an option.

That being said, no one is so experienced that spur of the moment injury can not happen to them and for that reason, some sort of shelter is most advisable. If my only shelter option was a 5lb tent then I would reevaluate my shelter options and I would at least bring an emergency blanket.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Definitely have an emergency plan in place. Whether that's a full tent setup or just enough to survive an unscheduled night outside - you need a functional plan in place.

Journal Entries

The floor is a option, as said above, but you would want to have ground cover to sleep there, and if you sleep in the shelter space, also can be ground cover, which could also be a tarp you could use in a emergency.

Once I did hear of a shelter filling up completely, It was the height of the bubble and pouring rain near the freezing point IIRC, all hikers crowded inside, every floor spot was taken, and one hiker had to sleep sitting up against the wall.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

All of the above. You need to be able to handle circumstances that can reasonably be expected, such as full shelters (or burned-down shelters!) and injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by JZS50 View Post
    Afternoon, yes I know it is NOT permitted. So do I even need to bring it? I see on the reservation page (which I already have mine) not many hikers coming through in next few days. I was told by many people if you set it up, you will be hiked out. So, my mind keeps saying don't bring, illegal to use. Thoughts from your experiences?

Thanks,
    Always carry shelter.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

At bare minimum I would have an emergency bivy or tarp.

If you're asking yes you need to carry a shelter.

Journal Entries

Suppose a shelter you have reservations for gets closed due to bear activity once you are on trail. Or other reason (death), etc.
    The backcountry backcountry office may reroute you offtrail to a campsite.

So yeah, you need a shelter. Dont be stupid. Everything is not in your control. Chances of needing it may be slim, but its possible.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-06-2018 at 22:59.

I hiked the AT through the Smokies once without a tent. Dumb move. I found shelter space each night, but things could have happened and I would have been in trouble. Not taking a tent or bivy is "stupid light".

The tent in this circumstance is similar to first aid supplies. Most would say "didn't use it"
    But you need to evaluate the weather and take everything that you need to not get yourself in trouble if you're stuck at any point on your route. That usually means a minimal shelter at the least, and if you're not skilled with a tarp, it's cold, and you have a small tent, bring it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    The tent in this circumstance is similar to first aid supplies. Most would say "didn't use it"
    well, sort of, but no, not quite.

theres no rule against using a first aid kit in the smokies.

there is one against using a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

You completely missed the point. A first aid kit is a repository of items that you almost certainly won't use on any given trip, but they're carried because if you needed them and didn't have them, you'd be in trouble. That is -precisely- why a shelter is essential in GSMNP regardless of the rules. So yes, it's similar. There's no 'not quite' about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

True, but if I am injured and spending a cold night the woods, I'll burn the rule book for warmth and break out my emergency shelter.

I hammock camped 5 days in the Smokies a few years back. Stayed one night in a shelter. That night the shelter got over capacity and 4 hikers set up their tents outside the shelter. Take a tarp at least.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++