WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Journal Entries
    Images

During my thru-hike I tented at Wapiti shelter. Apron arrival at the shelter it was full because of a rain falling so I decided to set up my tent near the shelter. At around 10 pm I was awaken by a very loud argument. Three hikers had arrived. They pronounced that they had shelter reservations and people inside the shelter had to move out to give them room to stay. No one in the shelter was going to get up and make room for these late arrivers. Their big argument was that they had shelter reservations and thru-hikers occupying shelter spots had to leave so that they could use the shelter because they did not bring tents. After much to do, the late arrivers didn't win their fight and were forced to move on.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    During my thru-hike I tented at Wapiti shelter. Apron arrival at the shelter it was full because of a rain falling so I decided to set up my tent near the shelter. At around 10 pm I was awaken by a very loud argument. Three hikers had arrived. They pronounced that they had shelter reservations and people inside the shelter had to move out to give them room to stay. No one in the shelter was going to get up and make room for these late arrivers. Their big argument was that they had shelter reservations and thru-hikers occupying shelter spots had to leave so that they could use the shelter because they did not bring tents. After much to do, the late arrivers didn't win their fight and were forced to move on.
    I can imagine such a scenario in the Smokies, where shelter reservations are required. But Wapiti? For those of us who know better, somebody claiming to have a reservation is OBVIOUSLY lying or misinformed.

delete....delete...delete
    Last edited by DownYonder; 11-12-2018 at 19:21.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    There are some really dramatic responses on here for first week of November. God help us come late February when your all stit crazy!!!

Why carry a tent if 99.999999% of the time you're not going to use it? How many of us have actually fallen and gotten hurt and had to camp on site, away from anyone, as you are all describing here?

Friday night i hiked into Maupin in a downpour as dusk approached. No tent. Why, because i wasn't going to use one so why would I waste space and weight. I got real cozy with some smelly ass Sobos but i lived.

There will be space in the Smokies shelters. You literally reserve a spot. Again, the odda are so far in your favor no gambler would bet you on it.

Before you all tell me it's dangerous, i'll defer to my prior questions.
    this is why
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...overnight-WSET

I'd just prefer to have something basic for shelter overnight. As many sane people have mentioned, it doesn't have to be any specific object. But if you're a "new hiker", it should be something EASY in case weather is poor and you're very tired. Argument can be made for various options. Rain coats people carry these days aren't going to hold up that long in bad weather; if you want to carry a dry suit instead of a tent and cowboy camp like a champ, that works too!

I'll say it again and just shake my head. We've had losses in the Park from exposure. How does it make sense to hike, this time of year without a shelter? But I suppose trolls will troll. I'm assuming the OP is relatively new to hiking and needed sound advice. IMHO " do this and it might not kill you" isn't great advice. This isn't a day hike. He will be out multiple nights so how many possibilities are there that something will go wrong? Too damn many to risk it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    This isn't a day hike.
    THAT doesn't matter either... as the need to be prepared to survive a night in the woods isn't any different for a day hike.
    (Again, reference the recent death of a woman in GSMNP on a day hike that didn't expect to go more than 2 miles from the trailhead).

But again... that doesn't mean you must "carry a shelter". Depending upon the weather, the cloths on your back an a $1 plastic poncho might be all that is needed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++